Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Replacing Bus Door with Wooden Exterior Door

We have the magnetic "As Seen On TV" screen door. I bought it at Family Dollar last summer. Works pretty good. Especially when your hands are full of grilling stuff. I put it up last summer using the velcro. This summer, David will finish the entry door and trim moulding. I will use snaps to install the screen. Right now only the top edge is snapped in place with one snap at the bottom on each side. I want to replace the door handle with a lever type and a bolt on the interior (for security).

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:21 AM   #22

Door conversion

Hello I'm new here, I have a few questions on taking out the folding door and putting some type of solid door in place. My bus is on blocks and dont run so I'm not worried about seeing through the door.
First when you change the doors what do you use to seal the door at the bottom step?
I'm guessing I would have to build a frame for the door , I like the idea of using 1 tubing and skinning the tubing with sheet metal or would it be cheaper and easier to just buy a solid core blank door for home depot .
would it be better to recess the door or just make it flush with the old opening.

the bus is a 1977 Thomas , it was stripped out and made a hunting camp when i bought it, the main problems I am having is mice getting in from someplace and the doors not sealing when closed, which is where I think the mice are getting in from. Also those doors allow the cold right in .
swamphunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
I'd get a pre-hung door from the local Homely Depot and frame it in like you would a house door. The pre-hung door will be weather sealed and ready to go.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamphunter View Post
Hello I'm new here, I have a few questions on taking out the folding door and putting some type of solid door in place. My bus is on blocks and dont run so I'm not worried about seeing through the door.
First when you change the doors what do you use to seal the door at the bottom step?
I'm guessing I would have to build a frame for the door , I like the idea of using 1 tubing and skinning the tubing with sheet metal or would it be cheaper and easier to just buy a solid core blank door for home depot .
would it be better to recess the door or just make it flush with the old opening.

the bus is a 1977 Thomas , it was stripped out and made a hunting camp when i bought it, the main problems I am having is mice getting in from someplace and the doors not sealing when closed, which is where I think the mice are getting in from. Also those doors allow the cold right in .
how about an rv door?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:26 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I have seen a few "house" doors on RV's that worked OK, but most leaked air & water. Some pretty badly. For some reason the designers didn't take into consideration the houses going 70mph for hours on end.

PS...My '46 Chevy came with "hippie built" wooden door that was trashed long before I got it. It went bye-bye. I built my own steel framed entry door.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamphunter View Post
Leave the door as is and install a cat.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote