Old 09-14-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Center punch the head, hurdy gurdy drill the head off, pin punch the buck.
Power tools are not allowed on military aircraft... LOL
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: Navistar T444E Disel V8
Rated Cap: 71
Angle Grinder and a punch. Cut off the heads, tap out the shaft. I did all my exterior rivets in 30 minutes once I started with that method.
Intalleyvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:56 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
I used an air chisel. First I used a center punch style tool to punch the center pin in then a flat chisel type tool to cut the head off. Keep the chisel sharp and it cuts the heads off easily. Same with the bucked rivets, keep the chisel as sharp as possible and it will cut through them. Too bad there are about a cajillion of them.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #14
Almost There

Year: 98
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: D
Engine: 7.2L turbo Cat C7 3126
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
I used an air chisel. First I used a center punch style tool to punch the center pin in then a flat chisel type tool to cut the head off. Keep the chisel sharp and it cuts the heads off easily. Same with the bucked rivets, keep the chisel as sharp as possible and it will cut through them. Too bad there are about a cajillion of them.
I also used an air chisel. First I used the narrow punch to push the center pin back a few millimeters. Then I tried a few different chisels. I found that the one with a V in the center and a 30 degree bend in it worked best. Because the center material has been pushed inwands, the first few chisel strikes allow one end of the rivet to be smashed into the newly created void. This also creates a little lip and the bent chisel head can get behind it. It it didn't cut through right away, I was able to do a little prying motion while the chisel was running, kinda like a crowbar, and that popped the rivets right out. Luckily, my bus has a lot of screws, only every fifth one was a rivet. Still, a short step stool will help a ton to keep your arms from getting too sore.
The first pass, with the center punch, each rivet took about 4-5 seconds. One the second pass, with the bent chisel, each rivet took 3-8 seconds to remove.
gobygoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #15

After trying the drill out and chisel method I fell back on just burning grinding disks, I found with a bit of practice and not caring about the sheet metal I was able to blow through rivets rather quickly and effectively.
KeeganDoomFire is offline   Reply With Quote