Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 01:26 AM   #1

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 71
Rivets vs. Welding

If all I get is directed to other threads then great, but I haven't been able to find them so can you weld in body patches or only rivet and what kind of caulking should I use for the roof seems thanks, Michael

wotb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:35 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wotb View Post
If all I get is directed to other threads then great, but I haven't been able to find them so can you weld in body patches or only rivet and what kind of caulking should I use for the roof seems thanks, Michael
There probably are a number of such threads, but I do not know them.

You can weld body panel patches. It is a common thing to do in the bodywork trades. Riviting a "patch" would look funny. RIviting a replacement panel might be the way to repair a torn/crumpled panel.

Sealing roof seams ... use automotive seam sealer (Dicor?) or a sealing tape such as EternaBomd.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
If you aren't skilled at it, stay away from welding patches to flat sheet sections of the bus. You will almost certainly warp the hell out of it. I tried once. After destroying it I ended up cutting a bigger section out and riveting a patch on. The look doesn't bother me now that it's all uniformly painted.

Curved and formed sections are much more forgiving to weld since they have some rigidity.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:18 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
Rivets vs. Welding

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotb View Post

I welded patches to the back side of my flasher holes, with nearly zero experience. I used a little Hobart 135 that I bought off Craigslist. Hopefully the roof doesn’t fall off during a rainstorm. They turned out fine for me. A skilled welder would definitely scoff at my work, but after the bondo, sanding and paint...I doubt anyone can tell. I like that there won’t be any evidence of preexisting lights in each space. The flat surfaces look clean & tight! I have some photos posted on my build thread I think. If you are curious about how I did it, let me know and I’d be happy to share my amateurish procedures!
There is some truth in the fellow that mentioned the warping. I put a little too much heat to the first patch, which created an ever so slight bow to it. You can only see it from a certain angle when the sun shining on it. My wife didn’t notice so I’m in the clear[emoji2]. All the rest are straight. Also, if you chose to weld, be sure to cover your the windshield/windows below the weld work with something to protect from splatter.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:38 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
the seam sealer to use that most on here prefer is dynatron 550. about $15 a tube. standard 12oz caulking gun size.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #6

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Ward
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 71
Thanks all for advise and information. I've been filling the floor holes from the seats with weld. I intend to patch over the light holes using a tedious series of tacks to avoid warping. We do have a pretty good crinkle where the roof rolls down to the back where someone backed into a tree or something. I've been debating trying to work it out with a slide hammer, cutting and patching, as well as ignoring it and painting over it. Rovobay thanks for the brand and tugboater I'd love to hear more about your process and how it worked out.
wotb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1981
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT360 international
Rated Cap: 77
The best thing for the roof is a Ames product made for metal roofs. You can get it online at AMES or at most ace hardware stores.

Tags
leaks, welding