Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #91
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 305
Realistically bolts, welds, rivets, self tapping sheet metal screws, hell JB weld would probably work if you used enough of it over a large enough surface area, although that would probably cost more than welder.

Because in the end you are going to skin over it and attach that skin to both the old and new metal I really don't think it will mater that much. This will capture it all together and make it really rigid, like when you tack on the card board back to that super cheap big box store bookshelf.

No mater what you do it will be stronger than a standard RV.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:00 PM   #92
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 252
I don't see too many cheap big box store bookshelves doing 60mph down the highway though. I would guess it'll be worse to 'guess and glue' then cover it all up and not even be able to see it wearing and failing from the road stress until it all fails catastrophically.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:38 PM   #93
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 305
I don't see too many big box stores selling riveted steel shelves either.

My point was that once you attach the skin to the frame it will get really solid real quick, and not to stress the minutia. All of theses answers are a good, better, best while taking in account your personal skills. There really isn't a wrong answer, and there are several right answers. Have you seen how RVs are constructed, seriously there isn't anything you could do that would be worse than one of those. If a bus roof raise was done by an RV tech they would just use 2x2's screwed into the channels with a little dicor for good measure. They still handle highway speeds.
For the record I realllllly don't recommend using JB weld but modern epoxies are really quite good and are used in the construction of super cars all the time, so yeah they could handle 60mph.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:07 PM   #94
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 2,937
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
When I drove tow truck, we would need three deck trucks to haul most RV collisions off the road. One for the frame, and two for the debris.

Upon impact they explode. Crap everywhere. We got paid good to clean that stuff up.

That is when I decided I was going the skoolie rout.

I cant believe they even alow them stick and staples piles of $hit on the road.

They also burn like a match stick.

Skoolies don't.

Nat
__________________
"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #95
Bus Nut
 
Skunky Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa
Posts: 370
Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
When I drove tow truck, we would need three deck trucks to haul most RV collisions off the road. One for the frame, and two for the debris.

Upon impact they explode. Crap everywhere. We got paid good to clean that stuff up.

That is when I decided I was going the skoolie rout.

I cant believe they even alow them stick and staples piles of $hit on the road.

They also burn like a match stick.

Skoolies don't.

Nat
I hope this thread doesn't turn into a slugfest. It's got great information and I can't declare either Nat's or EastCoastCB's positions "wrong." That's because my knowledge of welding is very rudimentary. For me, Nat_ster's position here is worth considering as an alternative to learning how to weld properly. As for hat-section stock, that makes sense to me.

A city bus driver in Delaware inadvertently demonstrated the superiority of bus construction over RVs by hitting one that was parked:

[IMG]http://media.nbcphiladelphia.com/images/1200*675/DART+Bus+RV+Crash+Delaware+City.jpg[/IMG]
__________________
Any action for which there is no logical explanation will be deemed "company policy."
- Akvol's Second Law of the Corporation
Skunky Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #96
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
10 characters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DART+Bus+RV+Crash+Delaware+City.jpg (142.9 KB, 41 views)
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #97
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus View Post

A city bus driver in Delaware inadvertently demonstrated the superiority of bus construction over RVs by hitting one that was parked:
I am glad he preformed that experiment for us.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #98
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 694
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
It looks like the only reason the city bus has a hole in it is because the upper face is fiberglass instead of steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus View Post
I hope this thread doesn't turn into a slugfest. It's got great information and I can't declare either Nat's or EastCoastCB's positions "wrong." That's because my knowledge of welding is very rudimentary. For me, Nat_ster's position here is worth considering as an alternative to learning how to weld properly. As for hat-section stock, that makes sense to me.

A city bus driver in Delaware inadvertently demonstrated the superiority of bus construction over RVs by hitting one that was parked:
[IMG]http://media.nbcphiladelphia.com/images/1200*675/DART+Bus+RV+Crash+Delaware+City.jpg[/IMG]
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #99
Bus Nut
 
Skunky Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa
Posts: 370
Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
10 characters.
Thanks for posting the picture. It was just defying me.
__________________
Any action for which there is no logical explanation will be deemed "company policy."
- Akvol's Second Law of the Corporation
Skunky Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #100
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 252
That bus has a trophy!

I don't know how municipal buses compare to school buses in terms of their robust construction... again it probably varies by manufacturer and model.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.