Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
And just to add a side note when I insured it the insurer only asked if the suspension had been modified, didn't seem to care much about the body

Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
I understand your concerns if I was trying to maintain the standards & Regs of a School Bus, I know I didn't take detailed pics & descriptions of all the work i did but I did have a friend of mine who is a Engineer who was involved with the design & building of Nuclear submarines & has been a Engineer for GE for years look at the work I did & he's happy with the mods I did as far as safety for driver & passenger goes, It's still more stout than a S&S .

I do respect a lot of what you offer Nat but if we're trying to maintain School Bus standards then we all should stop what we're doing.
Funny, I have a retired nasa guy helping with the planning on mine!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:19 PM   #63
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Funny, I have a retired nasa guy helping with the planning on mine!
Ask him about the line of spaceships on the ridge that were watching MR Armstrong when he stepped onto the moon.

Most Engineers are cocky, over paid, useless people in my books.

Anyone with common seance, able to see three dimensionally, and the ability to research can do just as well without the ego.

So, everyone keep chest thumping about your engineer friends.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #64
Bus Geek

My big wig engineer friend doesn't participate in any seances, nat.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:03 PM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: Navistar T444E Disel V8
Rated Cap: 71
Should I get my ruler?

ANYWAYS... I ordered my hat channels from my local metal fabricator. I got 14 gauge, 22 pieces, at 40 inches a piece. That'll leave me 10 inches on either side. The whole thing will cost me $10 a piece, or $220.

I decided to go with the Hat Channel because of my lack of a skilled welder. The person who said they could do it ended up burning a whole right through the rib piece he was practicing on so I decided to just eat the $66 for the tubing I bought and go with the hat channel. As for the superiority of this method when it comes to safety I can't speak of.

I bought two of these:

MetalTech 5 ft. x 5 ft. Blue Standard Mason Scaffold Frame-M-MF6060PS-A - The Home Depot

I got 24" leveling jacks for them for $79 at Home Depot. They can hold 11,000 pounds each and can raise 18". I'll put them on some wood to make up the 2" difference for my 20" raise.

Good so far?
Intalleyvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #66
Bus Geek

Sounds good to me.
I think you'll be glad you got that channel made, whether welding or bolting.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:43 PM   #67
Bus Geek

I'm glad you made the right choice getting hat channel made. You also got it for a good price.

That welder melting right though your rib is exactly the kind of problems / mistakes I was talking about. Welding takes some skill and proper equipment.

I wasn't born yesterday, and I don't type on this forum just to waste my own time. I try to warn people without them having to learn the hard way.

I would like to see a day where you can't buy welding supply's without being a ticketed welder. It would prevent all these "Wana be welders" from making dangerous messes that kill people.

With the scaffold and hat channels, I think your now ready to tackle the roof raise.

Mr eastcoastCB. Auto spell check sucks. I meant to say "common sense", But you already new that.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 09-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #68
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Oh come now, you don't have to "eat" the cost of the tubing for surely it'll go to good use somewhere. A luggage or storage rack/frame, or support framework under a bed or seating area, etc.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:19 AM   #69
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Ask him about the line of spaceships on the ridge that were watching MR Armstrong when he stepped onto the moon.

Anyone with common seance, able to see three dimensionally, and the ability to research can do just as well without the ego.

Nat
opc orn:: popcorn:opco rn: opcorn:opcor n:o pcorn:opcorn :op corn:opcorn
Old 09-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #70
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I'm not so sure about going THAT far... Maybe some sort of quick test - butt weld some 22 gauge sheet metal together, and maybe lay down a bead in some 1/4" plate joined at 90 degrees. If you pass that you get to buy stuff. Otherwise, you get a discount at the local trade school to take an intro to welding and you take the test until you pass.

That'll never happen because it costs money to run a program like that, but we can still dream!

Not to mention, in 'murica, we can do nearly anything we please anyway, certifications or licensing be damned. ;)

Quote:
I would like to see a day where you can't buy welding supply's without being a ticketed welder. It would prevent all these "Wana be welders" from making dangerous messes that kill people.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:41 PM   #71
Bus Geek

In this thread, we see some of the worst welding in North America.

Ghetto fab/ hack jobs - Page 238 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Nat

Old 09-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #72
Bus Geek

Someones REALLY scared of welding.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #73
Bus Nut

A mig welder is just a metal hot glue gun. Nothing to fear. Just like hot glue don't use too little don't use too much and you will be fine.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #74
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Someones REALLY scared of welding.
If that was directed at me, please read the following.

As I have said a few times now, every time you repeatedly make this assumption.

I do not fear welding.

I don't fear welding in any way, shape or form.

I weld when I feel it's the best option.

If you read some of my older threads, you would know my welding was even approved on pirate 4x4. I have a bit of large work I did around 10 years ago on there.

I just know that a good portion of the public that should never try welding, and a few more that need way more experience / better equipment.

Many don't even know when to outsource due to lack of proper equipment or skill. If I need a stainless steel tank made, I take it somewhere that has a tig welder. Because that is the best method of welding thin stainless steel.

Nat

Old 09-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #75
Bus Crazy

Quote:

Nat
Nat I have a question and I would like an honest answer, NO I DEMAND an honest answer

Are you really some guy up in Canada or are you REALLY my ex wife stalking and trolling me on line??
Old 09-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #76
Bus Geek

Quote:
Nat I have a question and I would like an honest answer, NO I DEMAND an honest answer

Are you really some guy up in Canada or are you REALLY my ex wife stalking and trolling me on line??
Is that the one that was driving bus?

Your a funny guy.

If I'm your ex wife she had skills. Why did you give her up?

Nat

Old 09-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #77
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Is that the one that was driving bus?

Your a funny guy.

If I'm your ex wife she had skills. Why did you give her up?

Nat
No she's not the one driving the bus.

Why did I give her up? She looked me right in the eye and said "I'm one of the smartest women there is I'm the final authority you will do **** my way or get out"

15 minutes later I was gone & boy as was grabbing my things she was begging me to stop and now that she's out of my life my hair went back to it's normal color my prostate went back to normal size & the night terrors have stopped.

Just an example ,Every Dentist in the world will tell you to floss after brushing, she felt it was better to floss before brushing, she would come in see me flossing after brushing start motherfing me scream yell swearing that she told that to floss before brushing & God dammit I will obey her.

And Jealous , I once held the door for her & another woman was 5ft behind her so I held it for her too, I was screamed at swore at on the spot because in her mind I just committed adultery
Old 09-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #78
Bus Geek

I'm glad you ended it.

No man needs that crap.

Nat

Old 09-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #79
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Quote:
In this thread, we see some of the worst welding in North America.

Ghetto fab/ hack jobs - Page 238 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Nat
I follow ghetto fab thread too. It amazes me what some people think is good fabrication. Although I'm not a certified welder but I do weld my own projects but its way better than anything in that thread.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #80
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
No she's not the one driving the bus.

Why did I give her up? She looked me right in the eye and said "I'm one of the smartest women there is I'm the final authority you will do **** my way or get out"
Sounds like my last marriage...I actually got to see exactly how she was when I deployed to Iraq. Hell, she even gave me a curfew, like I was a teenager. What the hell was I thinking

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote