Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #121
Bus Nut

The weld itself does not have to fail but it focuses the failure to vulnerable areas around it. I would direct your consideration to the Liberty ships of World War II.

jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:01 AM   #122
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piersg View Post
I think there was someone on here that did the roof raise by cutting BELOW the window line and lifting the roof and windows.
im not sure if they are on here or not but i have seen *A* bus in persoin that was in process and had been raised below the window line... to me it seems like it might help keep things in alignment and keep the roof from flexing as much to have the rib just below the window still attached...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:18 AM   #123
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_blue View Post
The weld itself does not have to fail but it focuses the failure to vulnerable areas around it. I would direct your consideration to the Liberty ships of World War II.
A fastener IS a fail point as it definitely creates the stress point.
Again- properly welded metal is as strong as it was BEFORE the weld.
Why are roll cages welded together instead of bolted?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:34 AM   #124
Bus Geek

while im a big fan of fasteners.. probably because I cant weld worth a crap... I also believe fasteners are a fatigue point in the metal...

there are a number of reasons..

1. people drilling holes with old junk drill-bits end up heating the metal up quite hot in that spot..

2. fasteners flex... any time metal flexes it begins to fatigue... even metal designed to flex like springs eventually gives in to fatigue or becomes weaker... sometimes flex is desired to help keep from snap breakage but often times the flexing is not desired as it can cause failure of materials around it...

if I knew how to preoperly weld i would probably weld when I could.. esp if its something I'll never have to take apart..

-Christopher
Old 06-29-2016, 06:48 AM   #125
Bus Geek

The shop I worked in built this. The lifting eyes are WELDED on.
So everything that is lifted with these spreader beams is suspended by welds.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #126
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Totally agree on the welding over fasteners regarding strength. When a weld is properly executed there is no gap or seam. The two metal elements are fused as one.

That said, there are metal components on buses that should not be welded on due to tempering issues...such as the frame. GM and other have produced and distributed a number of safety bulletins outlining the proper procedures for working on frames and frame members which specifically state that no welding should be performed on their frames. There, you want to use appropriate fasteners. Hot bucked rivets being the first choice there. Also, any forged items (like older front axles. They can be welded, but unless you are a very skilled metal worker and can properly re-temper the metal, it is not recommended.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #127
Almost There

How about both ? Bolts AND welds ?
Mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #128
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mash View Post
i think its good as long as the bolt doesnt place force on the weld that is detrimentel.. ie if a weld wasnt 100% straight on a corner now youy bolt down that piece flat it is stressing the weld and the weld is stressing the bolt... at least thats how I look at it... is the net result stronger or weaker??? depends on a lot of factors??

-Christopher
Old 06-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #129
Bus Geek

Quote:
SOme things have to be bolted.
But if you're talking about both as in redundancy there is no need for bolts if a weld can be used for the application. Bolts mean holes and stress points.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:35 AM   #130
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The shop I worked in built this. The lifting eyes are WELDED on.
So everything that is lifted with these spreader beams is suspended by welds.

DiD they stress relieve after welding? When I worked in our engine shop all parts where annealed, welded then stress relieved,
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #131
Bus Nut

Quote:
There are appropriate applications for both methods. You simply have to evaluate the project as a whole and the specific points individually. I think it's been said that using both for the same fastening is probably not only redundant but actually thaey would compromise one another.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #132
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
DiD they stress relieve after welding? When I worked in our engine shop all parts where annealed, welded then stress relieved,
I don't think they have to with proper technique and engineering, but I was way up the line on these kind of projects- all I did was cut the pats out on the plasma.

I can say these beams are OVER engineered and are tested and evaluated thoroughly.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #133
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I don't think they have to with proper technique and engineering, but I was way up the line on these kind of projects- all I did was cut the pats out on the plasma.

I can say these beams are OVER engineered and are tested and evaluated thoroughly.
See and that's what you would want in a welded component is something that is well-designed and over engineered. I just do not see that level of engineering or welding experience going into most of our skoolie project. Most of the time we're on a shoestring budget!

If it would be worth it there are three identical Internationals sitting at Midwest Transit all with bad engines so they're cheap. If I ship all those down to you would it be worthwhile to do three different methods of roof raise and then we could send them out for crash testing to see how each holds up? personally I would like to know what would be the best method and have it proven before I buy the bus I want to do my actual conversion.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #134
Bus Geek

Quote:
See and that's what you would want in a welded component is something that is well-designed and over engineered. I just do not see that level of engineering or welding experience going into most of our skoolie project. Most of the time we're on a shoestring budget!
IDK, everything I've seen on here looks pretty kosher. See threads by Tango, Redd, Bansil, Sojourner, and Mudda Earth. All good welders.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #135
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I'll raise the roof and add sheet steel for crash testing for you! How about a bulk discount of $20,000 per bus for roof raise. Materials and bus not included.

Quote:

If it would be worth it there are three identical Internationals sitting at Midwest Transit all with bad engines so they're cheap. If I ship all those down to you would it be worthwhile to do three different methods of roof raise and then we could send them out for crash testing to see how each holds up? personally I would like to know what would be the best method and have it proven before I buy the bus I want to do my actual conversion.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #136
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
There is a time and a place for everything. All these items are on a bus:

Rivets
Huck bolts
Blind rivets
Adhesive
Self drilling screws
Sheet metal screws
Bolts and nuts
Double sided tape
Hope and dreams

My favorite are the long bolts that bundle one or two of the ribs together, then have nuts, and then are welded as some sort of thread locker.

Quote:
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #137
Bus Geek

Oh- and there's Aaron, of course... Great welders on here!
Old 06-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #138
Bus Nut

I will admit I could be wrong and maybe I'm just in the minority. I simply look at it that if welding was the best solution for a school bus then we'd see more welds on the school bus.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #139
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
I'll raise the roof and add sheet steel for crash testing for you! How about a bulk discount of $20,000 per bus for roof raise. Materials and bus not included.
Well it will have to wait until I finished my engineering design unless you have your own ideas.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #140
Bus Geek

Quote:
I will admit I could be wrong and maybe I'm just in the minority. I simply look at it that if welding was the best solution for a school bus then we'd see more welds on the school bus.
There are plenty of welds. But only where they are needed. Everything is done the way it is for a reason be that cost, time, strength...
When specifically discussing roof raises though- the re-attaching after ribs are cut is best addressed by welding the pieces back into one piece.