Old 05-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #91
Skoolie

Post Electrical safety and resources, hot skin testing, bad ground

Shameless bump to share the best electrical safety and wiring information in the forums (IMHO) - for all the newbies that haven't seen it before, and for ease of finding it for others.

It's that time of year again for electrical safety. Jmsokol is extremely well qualified to be offering up all these information sheets, videos, and suggestions. The "hot skin" demo and testing info can save a life. IMO all his info should be required reading for all DIY converters.

Thank you Lorna for listing so many of these items all in one place.

(I receive no compensation for my endorsement btw.)
Old 05-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #92
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyLass View Post
Shameless bump to share the best electrical safety and wiring information in the forums (IMHO) - for all the newbies that haven't seen it before, and for ease of finding it for others.

It's that time of year again for electrical safety. Jmsokol is extremely well qualified to be offering up all these information sheets, videos, and suggestions. The "hot skin" demo and testing info can save a life. IMO all his info should be required reading for all DIY converters.

Thank you Lorna for listing so many of these items all in one place.

(I receive no compensation for my endorsement btw.)
Thanks for bumping my No~Shock~Zone articles up to remind everyone about electrical safety. One thing to be aware of is that I'm now getting a lot of emails about electricians installing new TT-30 outlets and mis-wiring them with 240-volts instead of 120-volts. Of course, plugging your RV's 120-volt shore power line into one will fry all your on-board electronics in a few seconds. So be especially careful to measure any 30-amp RV outlet installed at a residence BEFORE you plug in. See my article at Mis-wiring a 120-volt RV outlet with 240-volts | No~Shock~Zone

Mike Sokol
No Shock Zone
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #93
Mini-Skoolie

Golly.... this single forum thread download my No~Shock~Zone articles 174 times in a single day this week. You all must be studying really hard.

Mike Sokol
No Shock Zone
Old 08-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #94
Mini-Skoolie

I just shot a video on how to test a portable generator for a floating neutral and an easy way to add a neutral-ground bond for use with an EMS Surge Protector. See

Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
No Shock Zone
Old 08-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #95
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsokol View Post
Golly.... this single forum thread download my No~Shock~Zone articles 174 times in a single day this week. You all must be studying really hard.

Mike Sokol
No Shock Zone
We may be dummies sometimes but we don't like being shocked.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #96

Year: 94
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: International DT360
Thank you so much for this info. I need all I can get my eyes on!
Stillwaters9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:58 AM   #97
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwaters9 View Post
Thank you so much for this info. I need all I can get my eyes on!
You're most welcome. I find that a lot of my college students learn better visually than simply reading, so videos really help. (Yes, I'm an adjunct professor at a major conservatory)

BTW I'm getting ready to produce a video on how to test vehicle chassis ground connections for their ability to shunt fault currents away. It uses simple tools and is perfectly safe for non-electricians to perform. I'll keep you posted.

Mike Sokol
Old 09-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #98
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsokol View Post
You're most welcome. I find that a lot of my college students learn better visually than simply reading, so videos really help. (Yes, I'm an adjunct professor at a major conservatory)

BTW I'm getting ready to produce a video on how to test vehicle chassis ground connections for their ability to shunt fault currents away. It uses simple tools and is perfectly safe for non-electricians to perform. I'll keep you posted.

Mike Sokol
Thanks a million, man.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #99
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Your contributions are greatly appreciated. Personally, I need all the help, experience, savvy I can find when it comes to things electrical. And finding someone who can describe things simply and with minimal formulas involved, is a REAL blessing.

Many thanks!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:33 AM   #100
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Your contributions are greatly appreciated. Personally, I need all the help, experience, savvy I can find when it comes to things electrical. And finding someone who can describe things simply and with minimal formulas involved, is a REAL blessing.

Many thanks!
Tango, I think most of us do. I've had some basic electrical safety through my time in both the Army and Air Guard as a radio guy, but nowhere near the level necessary to safely wire up a bus. When I *do* get to that point, I think I may put in a call to the Veterans support counselor at Stockton U, and see what her husband, an electrician, would charge on a consult.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote