Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 91
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: ford
Engine: ford 6.6L diesel turbo
Sealing holes in floor

Did anyone undercoat the bottom of bus after mounting things to floor ? What are some things You guys do to keep out water? Cya

firemanbud343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Sealing holes in floor

I am not sure Smitty, But I get the impression that he is thinking along the lines of sollutions for bolts, like Teflon Tape is for pipes...
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry Smitty, what I meant was will water splash up under the bus in the rain and come through the holes that are left from taking out the seats and floor trim. Thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks downsouth, and great bus you have. I'll use the calking idea. Didn't think about the fumes, so thanks for the tip. Have you heard anyone useing a vaper barrer to keep moisture out from ply floor? I wonder if these things sweat? Thanks again.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I think im going to put vinyl sheet floor down. I hear pros and cons about it. I have three little one that like to track things in and spill stuff everywhere. I have a insulating pad and then 1/2 in ply im putting down under it.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Well we thought about the tile thing, but my kids are too messy and my wife and I don't want to clean out the seams. Stuff thats spilled always seems to get under tile.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:21 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Crazy idea...

Can you put down the normal sheet vinyl flooring and then use the tile stuff over it? If possible, you have your protection down and you can put whatever tiles you want over it. Change the tiles every couple years to suit your style for that year, or whatever.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Well I wound up filling the holes with calking. I put down a vapor barrier, foam insutation board, and plywood. Now how do screw it all down? Do self tapping screws work or do i need to pre drill holes? Thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: Carpenter Crown
Chassis: Unknown
Engine: ISB Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanbud343
Well I wound up filling the holes with calking. I put down a vapor barrier, foam insutation board, and plywood. Now how do screw it all down? Do self tapping screws work or do i need to pre drill holes? Thanks
I used tongue and groove 5/8" and made sure they had a good tight caulked fit (with one another), leaving 1/4" on the sides (for contraction / expansion). Then I floor nailed and used flooring adhesive on wide hickory flooring boards in the orthogonal direction (down the bus so that they crossed the plywood grooves.)

I left my sub-floor "floating", in that I didn't feel the need to put holes in my floor. I don't have that much weight on it and it has survived well through several cold winters and summer temperatures. There is absolutely no sign of buckling or other warping. For those that use actual hardwood flooring, I doubt you will have a problem with it. However, if you're going to use some other option, (i.e. laminate, pergo, etc...) you may want to tap-screw it down as it wont be as rigid and may buckle a lot easier.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

Self drilingl self tappers from the hardware store worked good on mine. Smitty, I read somewhere in one of the forums that the individual self stick tiles start to peel from the extreme temperature variations and turn into a real PITA. Make sure you seal the edges with 100% silicone, if water sits long on a latex caulk it will liquify, 1 lesson learned during the build. Is there any concern with putting plastic between the metal and the wood with condensation building up and nowhere for it to dissipate to?
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I wound up using coated deck screws to screw down the floor. Bought some drill bits, pre drilled and counter sank the screws. Worked well.
I am glad I bought the 10 pk of bits though. Wound up going through 7. I'll put my pics up tomorrow.