Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2019, 01:36 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: MBE 906 Mercedes Benz Diesel
Security - Another newbie question

So, before you tell me to "read up", I did a search for "security" and didn't find a thread, just maybe some posts in LONG conversion threads, so I decided to go ahead and ask.

I'm looking at doing a short bus (18 - 22 passenger) conversion early next year. I've looked at a dozen or so Youtube conversions and read some things here as well so far.

The only security things I've seen so far are some people installing external lights and/or cams.

Given the nature of bus doors, front and back, and given that this will be my home, with most of my worldly goods in it, I'm interested in actual physical security.

I was thinking about some sort of removable steel bar that could be padlocked across the front and/or rear door. I'm also assuming some people have installed alarm systems as well?

Any info appreciated, as always.

Beachvbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:57 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
We installed a deadbolt on the rear door and have a built-in lock on the front door. However, there are windows ... lots of windows.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:19 AM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
We installed a deadbolt on the rear door and have a built-in lock on the front door. However, there are windows ... lots of windows.
Actually, for my build, I'm thinking, since I'm alone, I don't need all that many windows. I won't be looking out of them as I'm driving, I'll be enjoying the view from the windshield. I will want one wherever I have my sleeping space, and maybe the bathroom for light/ventilation. I'm thinking eliminating most of the windows will a) assist insulation b) provide more "build" space and c) reduce vulnerability to intrusion.

I'm also thinking that if I only have a couple of windows, then it might be economical to replace the original windows with something more secure and energy efficient.

Thoughts?
Old 10-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: soon
Coachwork: Bluebird or Thomas
Chassis: Probably International
Engine: Narrowing it down
Rated Cap: 65-ish
I'm in the planning stages of my first skoolie and security is also on my mind. I'm thinking of replacing the back door with an impact sliding glass door. Also at the front door, replacing with a more secure door and some sort of dead bolt.

Any thoughts on that??
Old 10-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachvbguy View Post
Actually, for my build, I'm thinking, since I'm alone, I don't need all that many windows. I won't be looking out of them as I'm driving, I'll be enjoying the view from the windshield. I will want one wherever I have my sleeping space, and maybe the bathroom for light/ventilation. I'm thinking eliminating most of the windows will a) assist insulation b) provide more "build" space and c) reduce vulnerability to intrusion.

I'm also thinking that if I only have a couple of windows, then it might be economical to replace the original windows with something more secure and energy efficient.

Thoughts?
Are you going to delete the windows in the back door, I can help you have them out in less than a minute/ There goes security for anyone but honest people. I have a dead bolt on the back door. Haven't figured out security for the front door yet, many configurations to accomplish this.
Attached Thumbnails
20190204_170514.jpg   20190204_170554.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Are you going to delete the windows in the back door, I can help you have them out in less than a minute/ There goes security for anyone but honest people. I have a dead bolt on the back door. Haven't figured out security for the front door yet, many configurations to accomplish this.
Deadbolt sounds good. I'm thinking that I'd actually have value in the rear window for driving on a short bus, and I'm inclined to think that's where my bed will be... gotta wait for the design to make that decision, but I appreciate it.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Take note of the fasteners on the hinges. On the Thomas bus I have, hex nuts and bolts are on all the hinges. It’s in my list to replace all those with carriage bolts.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
The Smith & Wesson Company makes excellent security devices.😬😬😬
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:23 PM   #9
Almost There

Year: soon
Coachwork: Bluebird or Thomas
Chassis: Probably International
Engine: Narrowing it down
Rated Cap: 65-ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post

I'm planning on eliminating all the windows with sheet metal and framing in for impact windows for insulation and security.
Grinn and Bare it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:38 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinn and Bare it View Post
I'm planning on eliminating all the windows with sheet metal and framing in for impact windows for insulation and security.
Yeah, that's a bit more than I want, ideally.. I'd like some light/view from my bed, and whatever visibility the rear door glass provides. The second part could change based on design and bed placement/video setup.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:04 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
The Smith & Wesson Company makes excellent security devices.😬😬😬
The quality aint what it used to be.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:09 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Yeah, that's a bit more than I want, ideally.. I'd like some light/view from my bed, and whatever visibility the rear door glass provides. The second part could change based on design and bed placement/video setup.
I'm going to leave my rear windows (top of the rear door and the two static windows next to it) in place, but I'm making a steel bed frame in the back that will run side-to-side with hinges so it can lift up. This will expose storage underneath, but I'm also going to rig it so that the bed and frame can be locked in the up position, which will prevent anybody from being able to get in by removing one of the rear windows.

My big fear, though, is that by over-securing the bus I'll force anybody that wants in to smash a window, and then I still get robbed but I also have to fix a smashed window.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #13
Skoolie

These screens are definitely a consideration, especially if they do custom sizes..
Old 10-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
What about one of those security systems that calls your phone?

I’ve also thought that a proximity sensor that causes talking or dog barking inside the bus could discourage a break in.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:38 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
You can't prevent breakin...

You can make it harder, take longer to breakin, which can be a deterrent.

What is the actual concern here?

Actual theft, or vandalism from bored teens or opiate addicts looking for loose change?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1456.jpg  
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:40 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: Chevy
Question

I worry about security too. I have 400K followers on Facebook and another 250K on YouTube and so I'm sure through all these projects I'm doing folks know I have video and recording equipment on board. I also host a radio show out of my bus that airs in Asheville NC. I put a HUGE deadbolt on the back, but I'm feeling uneasy about the rest of my security. I LOVE windows air and light, I feel apprehensive about blocking any windows, but the equipment is more important. On top of that, I'm constantly in downtown areas and busy areas.
SpoonLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:23 AM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
You can't prevent breakin...

You can make it harder, take longer to breakin, which can be a deterrent.

What is the actual concern here?

Actual theft, or vandalism from bored teens or opiate addicts looking for loose change?
My "worry" (I'd say "concern", one among many for considering a bus home) is that all of my possessions will be on this bus, and thus, I want it to be as secure as any domicile where I'd keep my stuff. And, given that security is not a design consideration for school buses in their original design and manufacture, I think it's a pretty valid concern.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:34 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: Chevy
Exclamation

Extremely valid.

Do you have a regular bus door?... or have you replaced it with a house door. I've got the standard bifold bus doors, thinking on replacng it with a house door for more security. My bus will also be my home.

Cameras, yes... make sure they upload to wifi and have their own power (you prob. alreday know this) - and I'm considering both a signal of some sort for motion activating and sending me a message on my phone -

ALSO - The bands I know who have busses keep telling me to get a lojack or some kind of locating device because for RVs and busses it's easier to steal them and strip them then strip them where they are - so they get stolen then dumped often.

I don't mean to scare you. Just being real here.
SpoonLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonLady View Post
I worry about security too. I have 400K followers on Facebook and another 250K on YouTube and so I'm sure through all these projects I'm doing folks know I have video and recording equipment on board. I also host a radio show out of my bus that airs in Asheville NC. I put a HUGE deadbolt on the back, but I'm feeling uneasy about the rest of my security. I LOVE windows air and light, I feel apprehensive about blocking any windows, but the equipment is more important. On top of that, I'm constantly in downtown areas and busy areas.
For the easy access windows, I'd say install a vertical bar in the center of the windows so a person see's they can't climb through -- that should keep the turds from bothering to break the window. The bars could be attractive wrought iron, or painted or whatever on the inside to maintain visual comfort.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:09 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
My "worry" (I'd say "concern", one among many for considering a bus home) is that all of my possessions will be on this bus, and thus, I want it to be as secure as any domicile where I'd keep my stuff. And, given that security is not a design consideration for school buses in their original design and manufacture, I think it's a pretty valid concern.
Totally valid.

Build in a hotel type safe, or small 'gun cabinet'. Keep all your small valuables in that when you're away. Someone can break into the bus, but can't (easily) break into the steel box.

I will probably have a smaller sized "construction site" "job-box" fixed into my bus. The box is secured to the bus -- they're very hard to open -- purpose built because thieves frequent construction work sites taking what ever's easy...