Old 10-09-2019, 01:36 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Security - Another newbie question

So, before you tell me to "read up", I did a search for "security" and didn't find a thread, just maybe some posts in LONG conversion threads, so I decided to go ahead and ask.

I'm looking at doing a short bus (18 - 22 passenger) conversion early next year. I've looked at a dozen or so Youtube conversions and read some things here as well so far.

The only security things I've seen so far are some people installing external lights and/or cams.

Given the nature of bus doors, front and back, and given that this will be my home, with most of my worldly goods in it, I'm interested in actual physical security.

I was thinking about some sort of removable steel bar that could be padlocked across the front and/or rear door. I'm also assuming some people have installed alarm systems as well?

Any info appreciated, as always.
Beachvbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:57 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
We installed a deadbolt on the rear door and have a built-in lock on the front door. However, there are windows ... lots of windows.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:19 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
We installed a deadbolt on the rear door and have a built-in lock on the front door. However, there are windows ... lots of windows.
Actually, for my build, I'm thinking, since I'm alone, I don't need all that many windows. I won't be looking out of them as I'm driving, I'll be enjoying the view from the windshield. I will want one wherever I have my sleeping space, and maybe the bathroom for light/ventilation. I'm thinking eliminating most of the windows will a) assist insulation b) provide more "build" space and c) reduce vulnerability to intrusion.

I'm also thinking that if I only have a couple of windows, then it might be economical to replace the original windows with something more secure and energy efficient.

Thoughts?
Old 10-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: not yet
I'm in the planning stages of my first skoolie and security is also on my mind. I'm thinking of replacing the back door with an impact sliding glass door. Also at the front door, replacing with a more secure door and some sort of dead bolt.

Any thoughts on that??
Old 10-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachvbguy View Post
Actually, for my build, I'm thinking, since I'm alone, I don't need all that many windows. I won't be looking out of them as I'm driving, I'll be enjoying the view from the windshield. I will want one wherever I have my sleeping space, and maybe the bathroom for light/ventilation. I'm thinking eliminating most of the windows will a) assist insulation b) provide more "build" space and c) reduce vulnerability to intrusion.

I'm also thinking that if I only have a couple of windows, then it might be economical to replace the original windows with something more secure and energy efficient.

Thoughts?
Are you going to delete the windows in the back door, I can help you have them out in less than a minute/ There goes security for anyone but honest people. I have a dead bolt on the back door. Haven't figured out security for the front door yet, many configurations to accomplish this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190204_170514.jpg (53.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20190204_170554.jpg (54.4 KB, 2 views)
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Are you going to delete the windows in the back door, I can help you have them out in less than a minute/ There goes security for anyone but honest people. I have a dead bolt on the back door. Haven't figured out security for the front door yet, many configurations to accomplish this.
Deadbolt sounds good. I'm thinking that I'd actually have value in the rear window for driving on a short bus, and I'm inclined to think that's where my bed will be... gotta wait for the design to make that decision, but I appreciate it.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Take note of the fasteners on the hinges. On the Thomas bus I have, hex nuts and bolts are on all the hinges. It’s in my list to replace all those with carriage bolts.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote