Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #1

Seeking Advice for Plywood Flooring

Hello!

My partner and I are finally finishing up demolition of our 2008 Ford E-350 Mini Bus! After removing the rubberized flooring, we’ve come to find that our plywood is glued to the metal frame of the bottom of the bus and it isn’t coming up without damaging the bus. We’ve accepted that and have decided to work with what we’ve got by using the plywood (it’s in good condition) and go from there. However, it has a stickiness to it from the adhesive used to keep the rubberized flooring down. We have a Ryobi sander, but the adhesive is not moving hardly at all. We had planned to waterproof seal the floor, but now we’re at a stand still because I’m assuming the seal cannot penatrate the adhesive coating. Any advice on what a good alternative route would be? We’ll be living in the bus long term and don’t want to cut any corners here.

TheCannabusKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
You could grab some thin (~1/4") plywood and put it down over what you've got. That way you have a fresh surface to work from.

That said... it's probably worth putting down some sort of insulation before putting down the final deck.
StatTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #3

Thanks for your advice! That sounds like the most reasonable route. Do you recommend a floating floor? And what insulation route do you suggest?
Old 08-15-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I used 1/4" insulation and then 3/4" plywood on top. After the build I used luan on top and then our final floor which was vinyl. I did it this way to minimize ceiling height. If you got room you can use thicker insulation and maybe framing and then plywood on top. This minimized road noise a lot.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #5

Thanks Johnny! This is so helpful.����

Tags
advice, flooring, sanding, seal, waterproof