Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Shower pan.

I was looking around on the net at diff ideas. I came across diy epoxy countertops like pennies then poor the stuff on top. My question is could you use that for a shower pan? I don't know the 1st thing on the epoxy. Would it work for a shower pan? Water proof? would it hold up bouncing around on the road?

Thanks

livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
Skoolie

Sorry ment to put this in general topic didn't catch it in time.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:57 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Absolutey! Just make sure to texture the floor with something so you don't slip!!!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I just rebuilt my kitchen counter and wanted to use the epoxy-resin stuff but the cost of it for a 6'x8' counter stopped me. So now I am on my fifth coat of poly and is just as durable but it takes more work and longer dry time in between coats but I am brushing thick layers instead off spraying thin layers and the epoxy-resin requires specific temperatures to release the bubbles in it as it is drying in it's fast rate and if you don't the bubbles are trapped in the finish and the ones that did make it to the top are leave the half bubble impression in the finish? I tried a bar top epoxy/resin along time ago and ended up stripping the whole thing because it didn't come out right and on a budget to?
They make a grit addititive for paint that around here cost 20$ to treat a gallon but I think it would end up being tough to clean in a shower floor.
If you do succeed please share pics and info. Because I have always wanted to make a solid wood cedar bath tub? the actuall finishing is what keeps stopping me?
I have many construction skills but finishing (paint,varnish,Sheetrock mud,bondo isn't it) I have been around most to recognize the smell that tells me not to touch anything because I will probably be the one that wears it home.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
Absolutey! Just make sure to texture the floor with something so you don't slip!!!
No joke there. I did a little search on youtube I didn't find anything on shower pans but the were using it around pools and stuff with the small pebbles. Seams the pebbles would give a little texture.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I just rebuilt my kitchen counter and wanted to use the epoxy-resin stuff but the cost of it for a 6'x8' counter stopped me. So now I am on my fifth coat of poly and is just as durable but it takes more work and longer dry time in between coats but I am brushing thick layers instead off spraying thin layers and the epoxy-resin requires specific temperatures to release the bubbles in it as it is drying in it's fast rate and if you don't the bubbles are trapped in the finish and the ones that did make it to the top are leave the half bubble impression in the finish? I tried a bar top epoxy/resin along time ago and ended up stripping the whole thing because it didn't come out right and on a budget to?
They make a grit addititive for paint that around here cost 20$ to treat a gallon but I think it would end up being tough to clean in a shower floor.
If you do succeed please share pics and info. Because I have always wanted to make a solid wood cedar bath tub? the actuall finishing is what keeps stopping me?
I have many construction skills but finishing (paint,varnish,Sheetrock mud,bondo isn't it) I have been around most to recognize the smell that tells me not to touch anything because I will probably be the one that wears it home.
I have to do more research but if I do I will post pics. Thanks for the info too.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:49 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I made mine, used the sealer made for sealing under ceramic tile, then painted with texture paint. I think there are pictures somewhere in my build thread.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:56 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
sorry i hate the idea. ive put hundreds of shower pans it. 1st you put a rubber membrane in then you put a bedding in to shape your floor so it drains. if you put any wood on top of the liner it will become saturated and rot. i m o
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:42 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
sorry i hate the idea. ive put hundreds of shower pans it. 1st you put a rubber membrane in then you put a bedding in to shape your floor so it drains. if you put any wood on top of the liner it will become saturated and rot. i m o
I didn't say I did it that way
Old 05-06-2016, 07:05 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I made mine, used the sealer made for sealing under ceramic tile, then painted with texture paint. I think there are pictures somewhere in my build thread.
I'll dig around your thread see if I can find it.
So has it held up good for you?
Old 05-06-2016, 08:03 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

I haven't used it a lot, but has been over a year and doing well. If you can't find it I'll see what I can find.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I haven't used it a lot, but has been over a year and doing well. If you can't find it I'll see what I can find.
I think I found it. Don't know that I looked too hard at that one spot. Too at ahhh on the rest of the bus. Nice job. Actually the shower pan looked good. Sounds like its held up for you and that's a plus. The textured paint a pain to clean up?
Old 05-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

It's not hard to clean, I think that if I were to do it again I would put in two drains with maybe more slope. I never get quite level and the shower never completely drains until I'm on the road.