Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
I've gone for 50 gallons of fresh water and 25 gallons of grey as weight was a big consideration for me. I'm quite used to conserving water growing up in Australia and will have water saving taps fitted.

I'm taking my skoolie down to Central / South America and plan to camp out in some remote locations so will unashamedly dump most of my grey directly on the ground and only carry it when in urban areas. (Sorry, Not Sorry).

I will also have another 5 gallons of fresh water on a separate tap for drinking due to concerns about water quality in the region.

I expect I can comfortably get 4 - 5 days out it and possibly extend it to 7 days if I really try.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:47 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Personally if its in the middle of no where whether its grey or black its all biodegradable problems exist when there are many people dumping it all the time around areas near living quarters. To be honest some countries use human feces as fertilizer.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Im putting 100gal fresh and 40-60 grey. I already have 1- 40 gal and 1- 20 gal tank. I would be happy to go off grid for a month at a time. The wife may not be happy with that though..lol
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3 L Cummins, MD 3060 Trans
Rated Cap: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
a few years back, I read that a single person averages 30 gallons of water per day. I'd say that's very conservative. I use a bit more than that when I'm home. However, that average is including so many toilet trips, a shower, bushing teeth, and I assume washing dishes and clothes. I have done some long trips on my motorcycle with all camping. I have my water usage down to 3 liters per day. This includes all water I use for brushing teeth, showering, dishes, eating, and drink. Most of it is for drinking.
Gee, my gf and I would go camping for days and not even use the 7 gallons of fresh water we had in a jug. Of course, there were no showers involved. We took what she called a “wh***’s bath” using wet wipes. However, we had a portable outdoor shower and I was surprised it only took two gallons to take a shower that did not feel like I was being stingy. She had a 15 gallon water tank in her little rv that we used for flushing, but I am not counting that here because we are talking composting toilet here, and we never used all the water in that tank anyway.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:04 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
That 30 gal. is stick and brick gallons. Thats mostly flushing the toilet. I never even considered how much water a flush takes.. no more courtesy flushes!
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I find we average 10 gallons per day for two people if we both take showers everyday. Less in cooler weather as less showers are needed. I do not see how an outdoor shower makes any difference in water usage.

Black tank we find will fill by about 6-7 gallons a week.

our tanks,
105 fresh
50 grey
50 black
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote