Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2017, 07:24 AM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
You, someone else, somewhere else (don't remember) said it; noise.
In my opinion, if you are running A/C you are already making noise. Some of them are not terribly noisy inside (the ducted units) but all that I have heard are noisy on the outside (and I could be wrong).

Quote:
By the by, I don't recall but how well did you insulate your bus? Rigid or spray? How thick? You've got an extra 5' of length on me but likely more insulation than I will have so if 15k BTUs doesn't work for you, it won't likely work for me either.
Mine came with 2" of insulation most everywhere (between the square tube frame). I've added some 1-2" rigid foam most everywhere (sides, roof, and over the windows that are not used) but I would not yet call it 'well insulated'.

JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:37 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
In my opinion, if you are running A/C you are already making noise. Some of them are not terribly noisy inside (the ducted units) but all that I have heard are noisy on the outside (and I could be wrong).
Touche. Didn't think about that.

Quote:
Mine came with 2" of insulation most everywhere (between the square tube frame). I've added some 1-2" rigid foam most everywhere (sides, roof, and over the windows that are not used) but I would not yet call it 'well insulated'.
Well, that's more than mine will have. I won't have more than 3" at best.

Biggest that I could readily find. It's a respectable 120 lbs and under $600.
https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YS...l+propane+tank
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Well looky there. There are horizontal tanks for RVs.

The price difference between a 30 lb and a 40 lb is one hell of a jump. On two random sites the 30 lb is $170 and the 40 lb is $400. I guess with a store bought RV you get whatever they give you whereas we can customize more. But for those prices, give me two 30 lbs, I'll have more gas for less and a backup to my back up (2x 30 + 5 grill).

But speaking of custom, if you were to build an outside closet, you could do a vertical tank and not worry about horizontal.
Were you comparing like with like?

There are two different types of horizontal tanks. DOT and ASME

DOT tanks are cheaper but have to be re-certified every now and again. ASME are more expensive, but don't.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Keep an eye out for used Manchester LP tanks. Watch Ebay, they show up there all the time. They are DOT approved, built like "tanks" (had to say that just for M1031A1) and can last for many decades. Found mine there for about 25% of new.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:56 AM   #45
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Keep an eye out for used Manchester LP tanks. Watch Ebay, they show up there all the time. They are DOT approved, built like "tanks" (had to say that just for M1031A1) and can last for many decades. Found mine there for about 25% of new.
My worry would be rust and valve type. Dudes at the refill stations are always like "we can't refill that".

Someone's brother-in-law works in the industry. Op that valve isn't safe, you have to use this kind now. Yeah, because my perfectly good tank has failed 37 times so far. BS.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #46
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
Yeah, those prices are pretty stupid. If I cant find one used at a decent price I will just keep the 20# tanks...
Doug
Old 12-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I've bought large used RV tanks for $40. It's good to get them recertified, painted and revalved if necessary. It just doesn't have to be all that expensive.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:01 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I've bought large used RV tanks for $40. It's good to get them recertified, painted and revalved if necessary. It just doesn't have to be all that expensive.
What does that cost? I know they can be recerted. Never thought to revalve. And if you're doing all three?!?

On the bigger ones I guess that makes sense. I can't see anyone going to that trouble with the 20lb one. Take your old crappy one and trade it in at Wally World while the guy is looking the other way.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
how many BTU /hr are in a 20? seems like 20s are a dime a dozen.. and like bonb says you can get em refilled everywhere...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Im just concerned with the number of LP items I have:
3 burner stove, 19k btu Furnace, Water Heater, Generator
Trying to shoot for 5-7 days boondocking minimum. May still just go with numerous 20's as I have the dual regulator already.
Doug
Old 12-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
how many BTU /hr are in a 20? seems like 20s are a dime a dozen.. and like bob says you can get em refilled everywhere...
I should know the answer to this one. I have teh propane tank top heater. It's 15,000 BTU but I don't remember what the manual said for how long it's supposed to burn.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #52
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Just a couple of thought regarding the standard 20# units compared to larger and fixed tanks...

Some Pluses

+ They can be refilled/swapped almost anywhere
+ Don't necessarily have to take the RV to refill...just the tank
+ Light & easy to handle
+ Can carry several as room permits

Some minuses

- Must be locked down securely in transit (loose = Bomb)
- Many states will not allow in some areas (tunnels as example) if attached openly on bumper or trailer tongue
- Should never be stored indoors on trailer or RV (leak = Bomb)
- Best if kept in vented, outside locker
- Need to disconnect/reconnect each new bottle

Please feel free to add/comment on considerations.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Quote:
What does that cost? I know they can be recerted. Never thought to revalve. And if you're doing all three?!?

On the bigger ones I guess that makes sense. I can't see anyone going to that trouble with the 20lb one. Take your old crappy one and trade it in at Wally World while the guy is looking the other way.
I have the propane guy do all the revalving, but consider how many old motorhomes are out there still getting their tanks filled without a current recertification. I don't remember what it cost but it doesn't stick out in my mind so it must not have been that bad.

Another thing to consider is that many propane fill locations give a significant break on the per gallon prices if you are buying over 30 gallons of propane at one time. Even a small mounted tank in combination with several 20 lb tanks can qualify for the price break.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:03 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Quote:
I have the propane guy do all the revalving, but consider how many old motorhomes are out there still getting their tanks filled without a current recertification. I don't remember what it cost but it doesn't stick out in my mind so it must not have been that bad.

Another thing to consider is that many propane fill locations give a significant break on the per gallon prices if you are buying over 30 gallons of propane at one time. Even a small mounted tank in combination with several 20 lb tanks can qualify for the price break.
It costs just a few bucks. The disadvantage is that you have to remove the tank for testing.

They stick it in a large tub of water and pressurize it to whatever the standard calls for. The water is a cushion against the tank bursting.

It just takes a few minutes normally and they stamp the tank with a new month/year

Build Thread
Old 12-27-2017, 02:11 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
It costs just a few bucks. The disadvantage is that you have to remove the tank for testing.

They stick it in a large tub of water and pressurize it to whatever the standard calls for. The water is a cushion against the tank bursting.

It just takes a few minutes normally and they stamp the tank with a new month/year
Cool. Didn't know either of those. Had something else recerted once but don't remember what. Welding tank I think. But that was a trade in too.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #56
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I was living in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star in 2015 and 2016. It had a 32 gallon horizontal propane tank and had a gas cooktop, gas/electric fridge/freezer, gas furnace (42k btu), and gas/electric water heater. I rarely had to fill that tank unless I was using the furnace (like only once during the summer months). I didn't summarize gallons used but I did dollars - 2015 was $210.19 and 2016 was $150.40. I was south in the winter, north in the summer, and spent a great deal of time boondocking. My point is, typical propane use is pretty minimal until you turn that furnace on.

Also... never once had a hard time finding a place to fill the permanently mounted propane tank. However; you do have to take the whole rig when doing so.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #57
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
I was living in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star in 2015 and 2016. It had a 32 gallon horizontal propane tank and had a gas cooktop, gas/electric fridge/freezer, gas furnace, and gas/electric water heater. I rarely had to fill that tank unless I was using the furnace (like only once during the summer months). I didn't summarize gallons used but I did dollars - 2015 was $210.19 and 2016 was $150.40. I was south in the winter, north in the summer, and spent a great deal of time boondocking. My point is, typical propane use is pretty minimal until you turn that furnace on.

Also... never once had a hard time finding a place to fill the permanently mounted propane tank. However; you do have to take the whole rig when doing so.
the furnace is the deal killer in a house too... gas bill in the summer with just my water heater is lik $25, then in winter with even my 95% efficient gas furnace running to keep my newer home at 75 during the day / 65 at night ends up being 130 bucks a month if we are having single digits cold like we are now...

it always seems the propane garage heaters never last as long on a bottle as you want them to.. but they run constantly most times.. id think your RV furnace has some off-time in really cold weather if your bus is insulated well..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #58
Bus Geek

Quote:
I was living in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star in 2015 and 2016. It had a 32 gallon horizontal propane tank and had a gas cooktop, gas/electric fridge/freezer, gas furnace, and gas/electric water heater. I rarely had to fill that tank unless I was using the furnace (like only once during the summer months). I didn't summarize gallons used but I did dollars - 2015 was $210.19 and 2016 was $150.40. I was south in the winter, north in the summer, and spent a great deal of time boondocking. My point is, typical propane use is pretty minimal until you turn that furnace on.

Many U-Haul locations have propane filling facilities.

Build Thread
Old 12-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #59
Bus Geek

U-Haul is my favorite filling station for propane.

I don't know about where you live, but here in the NW the U-Haul places have begun surrounding their fill stations with numerous small trailers and other junk so RVs can't get near enough to the fill area. The reason for this was the discount for buying over 30 gallons at one time is actually the same price they pay for propane. They prefer filling numerous smaller jugs to make a profit. I will even move things in their parking area to get my rig in there. Apparently they don't like selling propane at cost.

If you're buying a used RV propane tank to mount on a bus it's best to get the recertification prior to mounting it. I want to know if that tank is worthy before I go to all the work of hanging it.

Oddly RVs are apparently exempt from the recertification issues if they remain unchanged.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:15 PM   #60
Bus Nut

Now this is what i love about this forum. I just read aprox 6 ppls ideas and opinions about a topic i honestly have not even considered yet. While the 20#ers are easy to carry, and fill/ swap anywhere, they are NOT financially the better way to go.....So now I do believe I am going to start looking for a used larger, permanent mounted tank and have it reconditioned and certified. BUT, I will still want the ability to use the 20s in an emergency. Something like that extend a stay RV LP setup.
Thank you ALL
Doug