Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Solar question

Is there a way to connect your solar system to you car so when you are driving it charges your solar batteries

Jamie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

From what I have read, you can charge the batteries off a second or high-output alternator. I think this is an acceptable method for Li batteries, but I think I read something about this not being a great option for lead acid batteries. Perhaps somebody with more knowledge on this will stop by.
cleff413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
A couple things:

1. ELectricity travels from higher voltage to lower voltage. if your solar system is pushing 14.8v and your alternator is pushing 14.0, your solar charger will be sending power to your alternator. It almost surely has a diode, but ultimately it won't be doing what you hoped it would do.

2. Storage batteries often charge to higher voltages than start batteries. An AGM battery probably charges at 14.8v, and bus alternators tend to push 14.0 or less... Meaning you'll never fill your batteries without having a separate charging converter to boost it's voltage. Your start battery likely charges to full around 13v so without splitting the circuits you can expect your AGM will be sending power to the start battery, which will cook it.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT-466
I saw this article where a guy in his own camper van used this battery charger to charge his batteries off his alternator. I've been considering it, but am curious if anyone knows whether this is a) a good option and b) any reason it wouldn't work on a bus?
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
You have solar panels on your car?
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
As soon as the voltage of your solar battery bank is higher than the voltage of your car/bus, you will need a "DC-DC boost converter". If you search ebay with this term, you'll find plenty of options.

Either the boost converter or the charge controller has to limit the current to what the converter can safely handle since a large battery bank can draw a much higher charging current.

The DC-DC conversion from your car alternator voltage to the battery bank voltage is not the most efficient approach but who cares if the whole system is driven by a huge and inefficient internal combustion engine.
alpine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
In both our buses we have the house and starter battery are the same. The solar and alternator are just tied together. The lack of a three stage charger algorithm in the alternator is in my point of view not a big deal since it is used relatively little. The alternator has a pretty large current output so that leaves the alternator as the bulk charger. Many alternators can be modified with an adjustable regulator if so desired.
The three stage charger algorithm for lead acid chemistry are kind of prehistoric because there were no proper ways to determine the amount of AH taken out of he battery versus the AH put back in. The float battery charge is essentially a waste of energy because nobody knows exactly where the lead acid battery charge level is so they just give it that little extra charge that gets converted in heat and potential of gassing.

In Forklift batteries that are pretty tall this "boiling" or better bubbling was used to stir the battery acid as to avoid stratification but I think charging with a AH in AH is a better more efficient way.

Like Alpine mentioned , if you want to charge via the charge controller then an DC DC converter can do the job. If you use a mppt controller then be sure that your DC/ Dc converter / alternator combo is more powerful then your MPPT controller so that the MPPT can not overload your DC DC / alternator combo.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, bus, solar, solar power