Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Spray foam coverage

Anyone know the best place to order spray foam from and how much I would need to do 5" walls and a 2" ceiling? Interior or the bus is about 26 feet.

Already ordered the Por-15 and prep, just gotta peel up the rubber mats, skin a few windows, then I'm ready to get started!

TheMagicBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I have no knowledge of this witchcraft other than what my buddy had done to his shop.... He spent $90k on the building complete.

Anyway... He had 'some people' come in from Arkansas and spray his foam... It's only 2" thick in most places... He said they told him the spray foam didn't have to be as thick as fiberglass or foam board. That bill was $9k as it was!

That makes sense, because I know Owen Corning's pink panther foamular 1" this has an R5 value.
It's much much much denser than regular foam board with reflective Mylar coating.
And their 2" is R10

For comparison:
This is my 1/2" Mylar coated foam board and 1" foamular
Respectively:

Old 09-04-2016, 09:44 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Before buying a kit call around to spray foam companies. If you do all the prep, cleanup and drive to one of their job sites they will do it really cheap. (Experience from 20+ years as a general contractor)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2016, 10:20 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I don't have it insured anymore, I only did to get it home. Since I'm 19 it's about $300 a month..
Old 09-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicBus View Post
I don't have it insured anymore, I only did to get it home. Since I'm 19 it's about $300 a month..
Perhaps you can get it insured for a week or so to get the work done? Spending $100 on insurance if it saves you say $400 (plus the work you are saving yourself) would make it worthwhile.

Obviously it all depends on the price quoted
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I was trying to get it insured for a short period to get it home, but I could only go with a full month. I guess it will just depend on how much the difference in the quote would be
Old 09-07-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: CAT 3116
Hopefully you will have better luck than me finding someone to spray your bus. I must have called at least 10 people and I got 2 of them to actually show up to give me an estimate. In both cases the quote was over 3k! I ended up using polyiso boards and spent about $300, not $3000!
Piersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piersg View Post
Hopefully you will have better luck than me finding someone to spray your bus. I must have called at least 10 people and I got 2 of them to actually show up to give me an estimate. In both cases the quote was over 3k! I ended up using polyiso boards and spent about $300, not $3000!
Seems to be the experience I'm having when asking around about spray foam.
Polyiso it shall be!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: MVP
Engine: CAT 3116
I actually ordered one of the small foam kits from foamitgreen.com and after applying it to one section I decided that polyiso was going to be a lot easier. At the end of the day I'm building an RV for camping trips, not a full time home. so the polyiso will good enough.
Piersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
I have no knowledge of this witchcraft other than what my buddy had done to his shop.... He spent $90k on the building complete.

Anyway... He had 'some people' come in from Arkansas and spray his foam... It's only 2" thick in most places... He said they told him the spray foam didn't have to be as thick as fiberglass or foam board. That bill was $9k as it was!

That makes sense, because I know Owen Corning's pink panther foamular 1" this has an R5 value.
It's much much much denser than regular foam board with reflective Mylar coating.
And their 2" is R10

For comparison:
This is my 1/2" Mylar coated foam board and 1" foamular
Respectively:

Ok, question, the 3/4 R4 insulation - if I put two together do I get an R rating of R8? Or is it more? It's definitely more cost effective by far...
Old 09-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Touch 'n Seal - 600BF Spray Foam Insulation Kit U2-600 Closed Cell - Standard FR
this is the kit i used, 2" walls, ceiling, over the engine cover and the wheel wells. great product easy to use. i just had my bus out this past weekend and its cool and quiet. i called around too, they all wanted me to come in but wouldn't give a price. the cheapest i have seen is 2400. for a 30 ' bus. i used two kits and took my time and got every inch. do it yourself and save yourself money and time.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote