Old 08-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #1

Take down walls or build over

I have a question about the bus panels and ceiling. I知 seeing some take everything down. But why take everything down? Why not build over it? Is it a leaking issue or a insulation issue? Or personal preference?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Lots of people do this. Do you have enough headroom?
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I have a question about the bus panels and ceiling. I知 seeing some take everything down. But why take everything down? Why not build over it? Is it a leaking issue or a insulation issue? Or personal preference?

As for the ceilings, metal conducts heat, and the original cheap fiberglass has a reputation for retaining moisture and mold/mildew. As such most people opt to remove the metal and fiberglass and check for rust/leaks and upgrade the insulation. As for the walls, add possible leaks around the windows to the mix. Most folks want to make sure there's no evidence of leaking around the windows, or in some cases remove the windows.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
Even if your ceiling and walls aren't leaking, moisture can still build up due to condensation..leading to mold, rust, or just plain nastiness! I have built over the walls and two buses and regret doing it both times. Currently waiting to get back around to time number 3 on my current bus. Going to do it right this time
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
Even if your ceiling and walls aren't leaking, moisture can still build up due to condensation..leading to mold, rust, or just plain nastiness! I have built over the walls on two buses and regret doing it both times. Currently waiting to get back around to attempt number 3 on my current bus. If your thinking about skipping this step because people are just getting crazy anal/thorough on there busses,dont. I don't think anyone ever wanted to get that involved in there project, they did it for good reason. If you decide to skip it, I would just make sure that your conversion is expendable(don't use expensive and non un replaceable building Products), as you very well might find yourself redoing it after a little experience has been earned. I would say also that it depends a lot on the climate that you live in. I, personally plan on doing it right this time best of luck
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
With 250k on my bus I saw no eveidence of wet or moldy insulation. The reason I removed and filled the space with insulation was due to the poor performance for long term habitation of the batt insulation. Replacing it with rigid foam to get better R value, and also check for leaks. It also can save you 3"-4" of buildable floor space if you frame and insulate outside the wall. Beleive me, every square inch of floor space is valuable.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Chassis: still looking for my bus
Quote:
I'm planning on spray foam ( likely, but maybe foam board ) on TOP of the bus, covered with pressure treated plywood and sheet rubber - if I don't like the look of the metal ceiling or if condensation is a problem, I might glue on some patterned vinyl - even if there had been a small leak in the ceiling, between closed cell foam and sheet rubber roofing, the roof won't leak for as long as my children are alive ( no promises to my grandkids or great grandkids, sorry ) - it would be nice to find a high ceiling bus, but as the people most likely to be using this skoolie/toy hauler are well under 6', a normal height ceiling should do the trick
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466 Turbo
Rated Cap: 90
I built over my wall and floor, according to my line ticket on my bus, I have marine grade plywood on the sub floor and 2" fiberglass for the walls and roof along with insulated bow cavities (Ribs maybe). All optional equipment. I did not want to pull that all out of there, (the windows are your enemy anyway). I just framed 2x2 studs over the floor and side walls added 1-1/2" blue board insulation then caped off with 3/4" TG pine boards so my floors and walls are like 2 1/2" to 3" thick.
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #9

I think I’ve decided to leave the ceiling alone. No leaks and it’s going to be covered most of the time.
I do want to take out the side panels though. Any advice on a easy way to take them out?
If you want to follow me I’m mysunshineskoolie on Instagram.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I think I致e decided to leave the ceiling alone. No leaks and it痴 going to be covered most of the time.
I do want to take out the side panels though. Any advice on a easy way to take them out?
If you want to follow me I知 mysunshineskoolie on Instagram.
If you're leaving the ceiling just leave it all.