Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske View Post
Here I've placed a section plane at an angle within the bus shell component. It cuts through only the outer skin as well as the window, door, and roof components that are inside the shell component.[/IMG]
How did you do that? When I started playing with the section plane tool the only thing I could figure out how to place was an infinite plane. It cut everything in the model, even stuff I had put outside the bus to work on as a component.

taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskswap View Post
How did you do that? When I started playing with the section plane tool the only thing I could figure out how to place was an infinite plane. It cut everything in the model, even stuff I had put outside the bus to work on as a component.
Make your entire bus and everything in it into a single component. Now open that bus component and place a section plane anywhere you like. When you close the bus component, the section plane will affect only geometry inside the bus component and none of the geometry outside of it.

In my case, the section plane is located a couple levels deep into the bus hierarchy, but does not include any of the interior cabinetry or "stuff."

SketchUp training video on the Section tool:

... and another video on Components:
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Component hierarchy:
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.jpg  
Old 04-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #24
Bus Nut

This is how anal retentive I am. I spent an hour making my frame rails as accurate as possible. Ugh. I need to heal faster or I'm going to end up modeling the stitching on the steering wheel cover.

You really don't realize how big everything is until you start measuring for scale renderings. I had plans to replace the rear tubular bumper with a section of frame rail, but these things are 10" tall by 4" wide and at least 1/4" to 5/16" thick. I think the weight of an eight-foot section would drop the rear of my bus an extra inch.

(Would look bad-a$$, though.)
Old 04-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #25
Bus Nut

I can't express enough my love for the 3D Warehouse. There are at least five International 3800 school bus models available for download. I wasn't happy with the dog nose I built for my skoolie, so I downloaded one of these pre-built bus models and scavenged the front end off of it. Just changed the color to white to match my own model.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
PD --- Many thanks for all your hard work on this. And most of all...for sharing it!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Great info and thank you!
Emidd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:50 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
PD --- Many thanks for all your hard work on this. And most of all...for sharing it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emidd27 View Post
Great info and thank you!
Glad I could help!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
Here's an early plan I did

This is a view of the above plan, using the walk through feature.

Here is a plan which is pretty close to what I am actually ending up with. I haven't messed with it for a while.

This is what the shower looks like

If you want to see more go here and scroll forward.
2012-01-09_195011.jpg Photo by somewhereinusa | Photobucket

If anyone is interested I can possibly share the file and you can take it apart to see how things are done. The files are pretty big and I'm not sure I can send them.

Dick
hi great skecths, would you be able to sendme these I suck at drawing and it would give my wife and I a guide.

Also is your engine in th rear?

Thanks,

Roy

roybassave@gmail.com
tekzar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:27 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Did he ever send you the plan files?
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #31

Any updates

There hasn't been a posting on this thread in a while. Are there any updates on other computer designs?
josevalenzuela752@gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by josevalenzuela752@gm View Post
There hasn't been a posting on this thread in a while. Are there any updates on other computer designs?
Well, I can say this: Trimble released a note about the newest release of Sketchup and the early reviews are ... not good. The email I received was primarily to explain the new pricing plan for the Pro version. They have switched to a subscription model so you can no longer buy the software and use it indefinitely. Now you pay an annual fee and if you stop paying the fee, the software stops working. I could find no information on whether the previously free version of Sketchup Make will still be available.

Other than the new pricing, there seems to be very few new features. There were so many upset users complaining about this that I just stopped reading the reviews online. The biggest complaint is that Sketchup has fallen behind other apps that are far better at handling very large files without slowing down.

One of these other apps is Blender, which is free and immensely powerful. It's an open source app that has a lot of industry support, so it keeps getting new features and those features are really useful.

I've tried Blender a bit and it's very good, but it has a steep learning curve and the controls are mostly unintuitive. It looks like a Linux app, so Mac users will struggle to understand why the menus are scattered all over the place instead of at the top of the screen. But the advantage here is that no matter what platform you use it on (Mac, Windows, Linux), you will get the same interface.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
PDBreske, glad to see you're still around. Did you sell your bookmobile? Are you doing ok since the fire?

I've been doing most of my drawings in Affinity Designer, it's 2D but, I'm a 2d kind of guy. I'm getting much quicker at it. You can enter exact dimensions for what ever and place things with precision. Another plus is you can switch the document from inches to mm to pixels etc. If say you have dimensions in say mm and you, like me think in inches. Switch the document to mm, draw your piece using mm, then switch back to inches and everything is in inches.

It's not free but, well worth the $50. They say inkscape the free one does the same but, I've tried it a number of times and find it impossible to learn. I worked on a drawing for a week and got verylittle done in inkscape. It took about an hour in Affinity Designer.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:54 AM   #34
Bus Nut

I’m doing really well, thank you. I still own the bus and updated its build thread just the other day.

I’m a little familiar with the Affinity apps and they are well-reviewed. Affinity Photo is supposed to be a very strong Photoshop replacement. Good to know you’ve had great results with the Designer app.