Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 18
Tires. 10r22.5 to 11r22.5 changing size

Well, I drove my bus 100 miles. On the journey, whe my wife said we maxed out at 55-60, speedo said 75. Hmm.

10r22.5 isn't a terribly common tire size. Could I move to an 11 without issues and possibly help the speed issue (not sure where the speedo gets its info)?

I do have clearance when I turn sharp.

The tires in the back are all retreads, so I'll change those another time.

Thanks for any advice.
meyermobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
Njsurf73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,385
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermobile View Post
Well, I drove my bus 100 miles. On the journey, whe my wife said we maxed out at 55-60, speedo said 75. Hmm.

10r22.5 isn't a terribly common tire size. Could I move to an 11 without issues and possibly help the speed issue (not sure where the speedo gets its info)?

I do have clearance when I turn sharp.

The tires in the back are all retreads, so I'll change those another time.

Thanks for any advice.
I am not sure about changing to a larger tire in from, without changing the back.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Johnny Mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 25
If your vehicle has the factory sized tire installed then the speedo being off is another issue. If you want a more common size to replace with, go with the 295/75R22.5 tire. The 11R22.5 will be a lot taller than the 10r22.5

Also put into consideration of different tire ratings like 10 ply, 14 ply, etc

Here is a chart......
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...bb_pdf/210.pdf

What vehicle are you driving?
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 331
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermobile View Post
Well, I drove my bus 100 miles. On the journey, whe my wife said we maxed out at 55-60, speedo said 75. Hmm.

10r22.5 isn't a terribly common tire size. Could I move to an 11 without issues and possibly help the speed issue (not sure where the speedo gets its info)?

I do have clearance when I turn sharp.

The tires in the back are all retreads, so I'll change those another time.

Thanks for any advice.
If you have the clearance, it's not a big deal to go up a size to 11r 22.5. I did on my bus with no issues. I probably picked up a couple mph, but nothing to brag about. Any decent tire shop will have a rack full of 11r tires too. Not so much with 10r. Depending on engine and power will decide if you can change rear gear ratio to gain more speed.

I just use my gps for my speedometer.
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Ohio
Posts: 611
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Let me get this straight from what you've wrote. You plan on changing only the fronts to the 11r22.5? That won't change anything speed wise as the tires in the rear are what drive you. You could put the largest tires ever made on the front and your top speed will always be the same.

As far as mixing and matching, I wouldn't do that either. It's recommended to keep the tires the same size front to back so as to not affect braking performance.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Let me get this straight from what you've wrote. You plan on changing only the fronts to the 11r22.5? That won't change anything speed wise as the tires in the rear are what drive you. You could put the largest tires ever made on the front and your top speed will always be the same.

As far as mixing and matching, I wouldn't do that either. It's recommended to keep the tires the same size front to back so as to not affect braking performance.
Hello. I think that's the point, safety! http://www.skoolie.net/forums/images...lies/Thanx.gif

I don't want the brakes to be affected. I'm not trying to get more speed, I'm at about 60, and that's fine. My thoughts were to have easily accessible tires for the front, just in case...

The back are retreads and look ok. I'm planning on getting the RV inspection in a few weeks. I may just wait to see what the inspector suggests. He seems really knowlegeable and helpful. He explained needed to title it RV.
meyermobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 18
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Let me get this straight from what you've wrote. You plan on changing only the fronts to the 11r22.5? That won't change anything speed wise as the tires in the rear are what drive you. You could put the largest tires ever made on the front and your top speed will always be the same.

As far as mixing and matching, I wouldn't do that either. It's recommended to keep the tires the same size front to back so as to not affect braking performance.
Hello. I think that's the point, safety!

I don't want the brakes to be affected. I'm not trying to get more speed, I'm at about 60, and that's fine. My thoughts were to have easily accessible tires for the front, just in case...

The back are retreads and look ok. I'm planning on getting the RV inspection in a few weeks. I may just wait to see what the inspector suggests. He seems really knowlegeable and helpful. He explained needed to title it RV.
meyermobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvbuzz View Post
If you have the clearance, it's not a big deal to go up a size to 11r 22.5. I did on my bus with no issues. I probably picked up a couple mph, but nothing to brag about. Any decent tire shop will have a rack full of 11r tires too. Not so much with 10r. Depending on engine and power will decide if you can change rear gear ratio to gain more speed.

I just use my gps for my speedometer.
Yeah, Planning on some HUD or something like that with GPS. Speed is not the issue, just what speed is showing.
meyermobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
If your vehicle has the factory sized tire installed then the speedo being off is another issue. If you want a more common size to replace with, go with the 295/75R22.5 tire. The 11R22.5 will be a lot taller than the 10r22.5

Also put into consideration of different tire ratings like 10 ply, 14 ply, etc

Here is a chart......
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...bb_pdf/210.pdf

What vehicle are you driving?
That chart will be helpful if I change any of the gearing. I'm trying to change to a more common tire size. Like someone else said that I might not want different sizes due to braking...

Driving this Bus (soon to be RV)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3MZ2zaOQwuPLLWls1

1989 Military Bus (6.6 ft cieling). 66 passenger, C60 8.2 diesel Turbo, 73k on the odo.
meyermobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #10
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,191
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I went from 10R22.5 to 11R22.5 without issue.. ut my rims were designed so that they could take the 11R, one of the issues is whether the rims are wide enough and what the offset is.. you DONT want the rear duals to touch.. my tire shop measured the rim and it was within the recommended size bythe tire manufacturer. . each tire manufacturer will have a recommended rim width for the particular tire you are looking at.. and it varies.. I went from a 39.5" tire to a 41.5" tire (height).. so i gained about 5% in speed... if you cpuld go 60 before you could then go 63... my speedoeter was off so i reset it using the dip switches on the cluster
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.