Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Trailer build up

I know this doesnt really fit anywhere but I am considering build a Travel Trailer. Im not at a point in my life where I can do a bus conversion but I am so excited. I am thinking about finding a junk trailer and starting from the ground up. Has anybody done this?

Tegra1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3 cummins
We did a 1970 travelmaster camper last year was pretty Awesome we used it a bit but I have dreamed about starting this bus journey after I realized my boat dream wasn't going to grow into.much with the other half chumming over the side if the boat all day lol
bman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:52 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Bet the fishing was good though.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman91 View Post
We did a 1970 travelmaster camper last year was pretty Awesome we used it a bit but I have dreamed about starting this bus journey after I realized my boat dream wasn't going to grow into.much with the other half chumming over the side if the boat all day lol
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of money did you have into it? How far and in depth did you go with it?
Old 02-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3 cummins
We stripped it down to the studs new paneling new ceiling new roof was planning on using it for a but till we found a bus but bang here was the bus... We have maybe 2 gs into.it total...but I picked it up for the balance a guy owed in his property taxes maybe 250 dollars... New counter top.etc.. I'll find oics and post them
bman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman91 View Post
We stripped it down to the studs new paneling new ceiling new roof was planning on using it for a but till we found a bus but bang here was the bus... We have maybe 2 gs into.it total...but I picked it up for the balance a guy owed in his property taxes maybe 250 dollars... New counter top.etc.. I'll find oics and post them
That would be great. Thank you!!
Old 02-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
Almost There

Yup! I'm living in a 14' x 7' tiny home that I built up from a flat ATV/quad trailer. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. You can also see a bunch of photos and information here:

https://www.thunderstruck-studios.co...ery#/floshack/

https://www.thunderstruck-studios.com/
ThunderstruckStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #8
Skoolie

If you look around carefully enough, and have enough truck to yank it with, every now and then, 1980s vintange fifth wheels come up free on Craigslist.

Find one without water damage if you can, and go from there

You might want to rethink your approach though.

After you buy, or build a suitable trailer frame, and suspension, wheels, tires, lighting etc... put in the basics for walls, roof and windows, you are already fair deal on a used school bus money into the project...

Unless you are doing something like a Harbor Freight trailer teardrop or something like that...
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
Bus Nut

A lot of people are starting to convert cargo trailer to travel trailers. They hold up a lot better than stick n staple camper trailers.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
A lot of people are starting to convert cargo trailer to travel trailers. They hold up a lot better than stick n staple camper trailers.
That's no joke!

I've been following a build, or more correctly rebuild, of an old truck camper, the framing was redone with the skin on, and the joinery they used in the rebuild, WAY stronger than the original basically staples and pin nails.

They managed to get more or less everything then needed, into the 8' truck box. No shower but that's okay.

The problem with cargo trailers is like that of many busses, headroom... or lack thereof...
Old 02-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
That's no joke!

I've been following a build, or more correctly rebuild, of an old truck camper, the framing was redone with the skin on, and the joinery they used in the rebuild, WAY stronger than the original basically staples and pin nails.

They managed to get more or less everything then needed, into the 8' truck box. No shower but that's okay.

The problem with cargo trailers is like that of many busses, headroom... or lack thereof...
Well, maybe. Most of the trailers I see converted have a seven foot roof height or no less that 6'6". My local trailer guy can get roof heights from 5 to 8 feet. Most of his are the same price in 7 foot height as the 6'6". If I don't find a bus after a big personal property sell off this year, I'll probably buy a 6 wide, 7 high, 12 long single axle trailer ramp door trailer to convert.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Well, maybe. Most of the trailers I see converted have a seven foot roof height or no less that 6'6". My local trailer guy can get roof heights from 5 to 8 feet. Most of his are the same price in 7 foot height as the 6'6". If I don't find a bus after a big personal property sell off this year, I'll probably buy a 6 wide, 7 high, 12 long single axle trailer ramp door trailer to convert.
Yeah, that would work for sure... I've seen a couple done like that...

Would you consider going a bit larger to maybe a 7x16 dual axle? Or is the 6x12 big enough for your needs?
Old 02-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Yeah, that would work for sure... I've seen a couple done like that...

Would you consider going a bit larger to maybe a 7x16 dual axle? Or is the 6x12 big enough for your needs?
The trailers I have been looking at, 6x12 single axle, maxes out at 3000-3500lbs. My truck is rated for more, but I find that around 3000lbs it really starts to struggle in the mountains around here. I am planning an engine and transmission swap. I still feel 3000lbs is a safe limit to stay with. If I was to buy a full size truck, I would try to go with a 7x7x14/16 dual axle with a 5000lbs+ weight limit.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
The trailers I have been looking at, 6x12 single axle, maxes out at 3000-3500lbs. My truck is rated for more, but I find that around 3000lbs it really starts to struggle in the mountains around here. I am planning an engine and transmission swap. I still feel 3000lbs is a safe limit to stay with. If I was to buy a full size truck, I would try to go with a 7x7x14/16 dual axle with a 5000lbs+ weight limit.
Hadn't even considered you might be towing with anything smaller than a full size half ton which usually has a tow rating of around 7K lbs... (Varies by make, modek, year, and how it is equipped...).
Old 02-26-2018, 07:15 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Hadn't even considered you might be towing with anything smaller than a full size half ton which usually has a tow rating of around 7K lbs... (Varies by make, modek, year, and how it is equipped...).
Yeah, I inherited a 2001 Furd Ranger from my SO. I have been looking at trucks. I'm very picky about buying vehicles, especially used. I'm allergic to cig smoke to the point of it causing anaphylactic shock. I have to be sure I am buying a non-smokers car. Just the fumes after the fact is enough to cause an asthma flare-up. I've been looking at the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon and Chevy Silverado. There is a spec 2500 Colarodo that I want but it's hard to find. It's a W/T 2500 with 6.0L engine, six speed manual, 4x4, standard cab, with a long bed. They were made in the mid-2000's and seem to be rare.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
So I was gonna do a home on a trailer, but I actually went the bus route to save money. I got my bus for 2k (11 window) and that covers the cost of the trailer, tow vehicle, walls and a roof...at a lot less price.
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Yeah, you'd probably be really uncomfortable in a flatbed trailer right now. Wise choice.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
So I was gonna do a home on a trailer, but I actually went the bus route to save money. I got my bus for 2k (11 window) and that covers the cost of the trailer, tow vehicle, walls and a roof...at a lot less price.
That's my initial plan is to carry my motorcycle to use as transportation and possibly tow my Ranger. The trailer idea came up because buses are getting up there in price and they are usually to far away for me to consider. Trailers are also way better base than a travel trailer or camper trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Yeah, you'd probably be really uncomfortable in a flatbed trailer right now. Wise choice.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #19
Skoolie

Quote:
Yeah, I inherited a 2001 Furd Ranger from my SO. I have been looking at trucks. I'm very picky about buying vehicles, especially used. I'm allergic to cig smoke to the point of it causing anaphylactic shock. I have to be sure I am buying a non-smokers car. Just the fumes after the fact is enough to cause an asthma flare-up. I've been looking at the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon and Chevy Silverado. There is a spec 2500 Colarodo that I want but it's hard to find. It's a W/T 2500 with 6.0L engine, six speed manual, 4x4, standard cab, with a long bed. They were made in the mid-2000's and seem to be rare.
I had a 2000 3.0L Ranger 5 speed. Good truck. Dipwad not paying attention to stopped traffic in front of him decided I needed a different truck in '06.... Great little pickup until the end though.

I can tell you 100% certainty, do NOT get a Ford with the 5.4L 3V engine. What a horrible design that was. I love my '04 F150, I HATE the engine...

Your respiratory issues can be a huge problem buying used as tobacco smoke residue tends to reside in the soft components for years, if not decades.

Knowing the truck you are towing with, yeah, the size trailer you are going for makes a LOT of sense...

IF the budget allows and you come by one though, a bus might not be that unreasonable. There is a 4 row short bus Chevy cab, I think Wayne or Thomas for sale close to me for less than $2K in pretty good shape... Too small for my needs, but I see these come up pretty often on the cheap...
Old 03-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
I had a 2000 3.0L Ranger 5 speed. Good truck. Dipwad not paying attention to stopped traffic in front of him decided I needed a different truck in '06.... Great little pickup until the end though.

I can tell you 100% certainty, do NOT get a Ford with the 5.4L 3V engine. What a horrible design that was. I love my '04 F150, I HATE the engine...

Your respiratory issues can be a huge problem buying used as tobacco smoke residue tends to reside in the soft components for years, if not decades.

Knowing the truck you are towing with, yeah, the size trailer you are going for makes a LOT of sense...

IF the budget allows and you come by one though, a bus might not be that unreasonable. There is a 4 row short bus Chevy cab, I think Wayne or Thomas for sale close to me for less than $2K in pretty good shape... Too small for my needs, but I see these come up pretty often on the cheap...
I've had my fill of Fords. I was an ASE certified auto tech from '93-99. Every Ford I bought made after '79 had serious issues with not many miles on them. GM products seem to treat me better.

I know about the 3V issues. My cousin has an '01 or '02 F150 that chucked a spark plug. It's one of the years with the stuck spark plug issues. When I raised the hood and seen a 5.4L, I told him to give me two weeks to repair it. I sent both heads out to be refreshed, not rebuilt, and have the spark plug hole issues fixed. $750 just from the machine shop. They basically cleaned/inspected the heads, lapped the valves, and re-machined the spark plug bosses. My labor was steeply discounted for the family at $150.

My preference is for a mid size dog nose bus. We travel a good bit in our vehicles. A bus would hold up better. I like the van chassis based buses, but they really are about maxed out with the bus body on them. Well, that depends on which body is on them. Fiberglass bodies can be heavier than an actual bus body. The glass bodies do look good and sleek though.