Old 02-13-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Trailer build up

I know this doesnt really fit anywhere but I am considering build a Travel Trailer. Im not at a point in my life where I can do a bus conversion but I am so excited. I am thinking about finding a junk trailer and starting from the ground up. Has anybody done this?
Tegra1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3 cummins
We did a 1970 travelmaster camper last year was pretty Awesome we used it a bit but I have dreamed about starting this bus journey after I realized my boat dream wasn't going to grow into.much with the other half chumming over the side if the boat all day lol
bman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:52 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Bet the fishing was good though.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman91 View Post
We did a 1970 travelmaster camper last year was pretty Awesome we used it a bit but I have dreamed about starting this bus journey after I realized my boat dream wasn't going to grow into.much with the other half chumming over the side if the boat all day lol
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of money did you have into it? How far and in depth did you go with it?
Old 02-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3 cummins
We stripped it down to the studs new paneling new ceiling new roof was planning on using it for a but till we found a bus but bang here was the bus... We have maybe 2 gs into.it total...but I picked it up for the balance a guy owed in his property taxes maybe 250 dollars... New counter top.etc.. I'll find oics and post them
bman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman91 View Post
We stripped it down to the studs new paneling new ceiling new roof was planning on using it for a but till we found a bus but bang here was the bus... We have maybe 2 gs into.it total...but I picked it up for the balance a guy owed in his property taxes maybe 250 dollars... New counter top.etc.. I'll find oics and post them
That would be great. Thank you!!
Old 02-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
Almost There

Yup! I'm living in a 14' x 7' tiny home that I built up from a flat ATV/quad trailer. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. You can also see a bunch of photos and information here:

https://www.thunderstruck-studios.co...ery#/floshack/

https://www.thunderstruck-studios.com/
ThunderstruckStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #8
Skoolie

If you look around carefully enough, and have enough truck to yank it with, every now and then, 1980s vintange fifth wheels come up free on Craigslist.

Find one without water damage if you can, and go from there

You might want to rethink your approach though.

After you buy, or build a suitable trailer frame, and suspension, wheels, tires, lighting etc... put in the basics for walls, roof and windows, you are already fair deal on a used school bus money into the project...

Unless you are doing something like a Harbor Freight trailer teardrop or something like that...
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
Bus Nut

A lot of people are starting to convert cargo trailer to travel trailers. They hold up a lot better than stick n staple camper trailers.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
A lot of people are starting to convert cargo trailer to travel trailers. They hold up a lot better than stick n staple camper trailers.
That's no joke!

I've been following a build, or more correctly rebuild, of an old truck camper, the framing was redone with the skin on, and the joinery they used in the rebuild, WAY stronger than the original basically staples and pin nails.

They managed to get more or less everything then needed, into the 8' truck box. No shower but that's okay.

The problem with cargo trailers is like that of many busses, headroom... or lack thereof...
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote