Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Merbach
Chassis: IH
Engine: DT366
Rated Cap: 74
Truck doors on a skoolie?

Yes, I want to move the folding door to the rear just fore of the axle.

Install two Normal or Semi tractor doors. Hell maybe even make it a quad cab.
I moved the heater, rerouted the wiring and even purchased two Freightliner doors. Now I am struggleing to get at it so to say.

Any one know of a forum or thread about hacking in a truck door?

I found a Skoolie at the Bi state binder web site the phot is called Dans bus. he grafted door skins onto a thomas body and it looks really cool.
I want to go one step further and make them (ok maybe just mine) work.

any pointers to help my searching effort would be great.

Mike

Michael Merbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Merbach
Chassis: IH
Engine: DT366
Rated Cap: 74
Re: Truck doors on a skoolie?

Yes, that came to me after I found just the perfect doors.I found truck doors that have the window proportional to the rest of the bus. when I went back to the Semi tractor salvage yard, I could not find a cab with the same door.

I was unable to find a truck door that kicks inward ever so slighlty at the top and has the Big window opening.

The doors I have are going to be perfect looking and i think I am going to get Frames from something close and play fabricator until it is paintable.

I used to be able to find a Bus on this site. It was called dans bus and he had door skins grafted onto a thomas bodied machine he raked the windshield back just a little and man that looked sweet.
http://bistatebinders.com/index1.htm

I am going to try to contact someone to get a photo of that bus.

The other realization I had was that the Door is going to be a long way from me when seated.

then the tilt wheel comes to mind.

Man I need to focus.

I search this site hard and can't find another bus with a truck door grafted into it.
Amybe that should tell me something.

Mike
Michael Merbach is offline   Reply With Quote