Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E350
Engine: 6.9 Diesel
Wet Bath Idea

I'd like to put a shower/toilet combo in this space.

At first I thought about gluing pond liner to waterproof the sides/floor, but I don't think it would hold up. Now I'm planning to put a thin sheet of plywood covering the windows and the side walls, then covering it with FRT. Glue it real good and put in some plastic anchors. I know the bend in the roof line will be difficult. I'm going to use a panel from the back of the bus as a template to cut out the side walls.

I'm sold on a composting toilet! But I'll still have a grey tank for the shower & sink. Is there a composting toilet that I could 'mount' in a shower pan? Are they made to get wet in a shower?

Any other suggestions appreciated too!

Thanks!

JoeyBigBlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Hi,
I do commercial construction and a lot of jobs with a tile in place shower use a spray/roll on waterproofing membrane or use a thick rubber type membrane.
Water test
Then install the tile bed (sometimes up to 4") (replacing old school technology with new school ideas) then install the tile mortar bed, tile, then grout.
They do make an epoxy grout.
I didn't like the tile idea because of all the flexing and moving of the bus?
To keep a long story short?
I had made a tile top table by normal means and it worked and looked beautiful.
My parents came from texas to visit and I decided to move the table from in the house to the back porch I had just screened in?
Halfway out the door with my dad helping (a little heavy) the table racked and there went half of my first tile job? Long time ago but/and I still don't see tile in a flexible structure?
There are means and methods for any idea maybe check out flexible grout or just use some dang gome good silicone.
It's your creation and palace so build what your happy with?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:21 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
I wanted to participate in this conversation, request clarifications, and hijack with some of my ideas.

So when you say wet bath are you talking about like a wet bathroom? like if I wanted to, I could pee on the floor, dump water on it, and eventually it would drain? Because that's exactly what I want to do in my bathroom. I was hoping someone could provide insight with that. I was thinking of just laying some FRP/some other water proof device/or wood with a lot of water proof treatment over that and have it at an angle so it could drain into the shower drain. (my bathroom I have in mind is about 7 x 3ft).

I don't think I understand what you're saying, are you trying to put the composting toilet in the shower? Like so you can sit on it and wash yourself while you shower? How big of a shower pan are you thinking? The skoolie shower already seems a little cramped to throw a toilet in on top of that. I don't know if that makes a lot of sense to me. Especially since composting toilets are pretty pricey. If you're looking for a toilet to use in the shower, I would just make your own composting toilet with a bucket and design it so it can be water proof, then worst case scenario you'll only be out a couple dozen bucks and you can redesign accordingly, rather than losing grand in toiletry.

Anyway I'm into the idea of a wet bathroom, so we're in the same book just maybe not the same page.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i built a combo shower/shitter in my bus.
it has some draw backs, but saves space. for my camping needs, a shower is an overrated, big expense that never really gets used.
when you do use it, you gotta move everything out, like tp.

installation of the toilet on a slope is something you need to figure out.

the shower has an "i dare you to use it" kinda feel to it.

i think my shower pan/bathroom is 34" x 48"

if i was to do it over, i'd use tile and a waterproof system called "schluter kerdi".

i just installed a hose bib for outside water, and i think that will get used more often for showers than the indoor shower.

good luck
Old 06-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I too am doing a wet combo with a composting toilet. Right now I am thinking about having a stainless shower pan made up to fit and using FRP on the walls. With metal I can weld attachments for holding the toilet in place without having to puncture the pan. And almost no matter how you slope them, uneven ground generally leaves you with the drain in the wrong spot. Just keep a small squeegee handy.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:12 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I did a wet combo with a sink and RV toilet. I only use the shower when I've become too crusty to have a successful sponge bath. I pulled the entire fiberglass unit from a S&S, cut it in bite size pieces and then re assembled it in my little skoolie. While I'm not exactly a neat neck, I really don't like wandering into the bathroom in the middle of the night only to find a wet floor. Therefore I dry down the bath after each shower--a real PITA

That being said, given the ten linear feet of living space my bus provides, I'd do the wet bath again. Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
I would seperate out my composting toilet and shower area if I were you and you have the space. When the mix in a composting toilet gets wet bad things happen. Thats the reason most people seperate urine and solid waste in a composter. I just feel like if you're showering in the same compartment as the toilet its gonna get moist.... mmmm thats a fun word... MOIST...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:59 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
I have a combo-composter/shower, and it works great. 200+ showers with very little if any moisture issues, and I highly recommend it, especially for smaller vehicles.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #9
Bus Geek

I also agree. They work fine in the same space...but...you do need to keep the "mix" from getting wet as noted above. Mine will have a plastic shower cap over the top when used in the shower mode.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E350
Engine: 6.9 Diesel
Wet Bath

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Yes, it is going to be a small space. I have about 3ft in width and could go up to 2'6" from the wall. Definitely want to put the toilet & shower in the same space. I think tiles would be too heavy, and would likely crack in cold weather.

My biggest concern is what to do with the walls to make them water tight. I'm hoping the FRP panels glued to wood backing and lots of caulk would work?
JoeyBigBlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Apply the FRP over marine ply, then caulk all the seams with urethane sealant.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I've used a 30x60 inch shower pan with the drain at one end. In a far corner I cut a 4" hole to pass a toilet flange through (RV flusher toilet; black tank mounted directly below). I'm thinking of having a shower curtain to close off the corner where the toilet sits during shower time so that the clothes, towel, and toilet paper can hang in that area and remain safe from splashes. I haven't figured out yet whether to seal the toilet pedestal to the shower pan, or to leave that unsealed and instead seal the hole to the outside of the toilet flange. Probably the former. Will also look for a floor mat, something along the lines of an anti-fatigue mat used in a kitchen, to help keep the feet dry when somebody enters to use the toilet before the pan has dried after an earlier shower. They seem to be formed so that water falls through the holes and can run below the mat to the drain.

For the enclosure around the whole thing I might go crazy and try fiberglassing something right there in place. Depends on whether I'm sick of glassing by the time I finish fixing/replacing the front and rear caps after the roof raise is completed!
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #13

I have lived in an RV full time for four years and it does NOT have a wet bath but I'm definitely planning one for my dream shortbus schoolie. Thinking about a rectangular 3x4 shower pan, galvanized metal walls, and cedar(reclaimed)slat insert to stand on and possibly secure the natures head to-checked with their website they are totally safe in a wet bath just have to add drain holes to the holding rack for the pee jug.
mckay7129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:21 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: International
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
I did a wet combo with a sink and RV toilet. I only use the shower when I've become too crusty to have a successful sponge bath. I pulled the entire fiberglass unit from a S&S, cut it in bite size pieces and then re assembled it in my little skoolie. While I'm not exactly a neat neck, I really don't like wandering into the bathroom in the middle of the night only to find a wet floor. Therefore I dry down the bath after each shower--a real PITA

That being said, given the ten linear feet of living space my bus provides, I'd do the wet bath again. Jack

What is an S&S? I'm looking for bathroom ideas and curious what that meant. Thanks!
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #15
Almost There

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
Rated Cap: 52 pax
Hello all! I too will be putting in a "wet Bath." As a custom contractor I am able to use a lot of my subs to my advantage. My wet bath consists of a showerpan that covers the entire bath floor. I custom ordered my 28"x60" shower pan (that's the whole bathroom) with the drain located 14 inches from the left hand side (to clear the metal floor stringers under the wood floor). My shower guy was even able to make cultured marble sides for the shower so the pan and sides will match. I was even able to choose the depth of the pan. All for $400. a second whole could have been placed anywhere I wanted for a toilet drain but I am using a dry flush toilet so I don't need the additional hole. I would suggest looking to a local shower guy to get exactly what you need made to your exact measurements, its not as expensive as you think and you get a bus shower with the quality of a home shower.

Ps. I'm starting my actual build this week!! So excited, Ill post pics!
Chevydude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:29 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
What is an S&S? I'm looking for bathroom ideas and curious what that meant. Thanks!
"Sticks and staples" -- a derisive (and deserved! ) term for traditional production RVs referring to their typical construction style.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:47 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: International
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
"Sticks and staples" -- a derisive (and deserved! ) term for traditional production RVs referring to their typical construction style.
Oh so in other words an RV Thank you! I'm going to go to the local RV place this weekend and check things out.
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:15 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
You don't need anything that isn't in the Walmart camping Isle. Lets not over think this.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:25 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
What exactly is the reason to have toilet in the shower. I have one on my boat like that and its just messy with shoes showering water etc. If your staying in your bus for long periods a big shower and toilet with lots of room around it is so nice. I found this picture and i like it a lot as long as water doesn't sneak around that shower curtain. Would be as nice with a shower door.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Bus-Conve...O/image487.jpg
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
I don't want to think about what that cost him to build.

Though having that kind of space would be nice..... but when you have to fit an entire home into a 30 to 35 foot long by 7.5 foot wide space, you kinda have to give up luxuries like a spacious shower.

Of course this isn't news to anyone here....
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote