Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
we are using the Aims inverter/charger and made the mistake of mounting
it on the interior of the bus which makes for a lot of fan sound and a fair
amount of heat when charging heavily. The biggest drop in heat on the
interior was accomplished with the addition of the silver bubble insulation
covering the windshield and windows exposed to the sun. Huge difference
in the front of the bus and of course lower overall temperature on interior.
I got the 4000 watt inverter from the Inverter Store in the mid 800s. Also
get the remote control, much nicer than having to flip the switch on the
unit.

Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #22

Year: 1997
Engine: Cummins 5.9L
Hello everyone,

I’m probably resurrecting an extremely old forum here, but, I’m looking for a little input. I also have an answer for the A/C running while driving. My brother in-law is a master mechanic and I’m purchasing a 110v alternator for our ‘97 Thomas flat nose. This can be added to the motor via a mounting bracket and it will provide full 110v A/C current while driving. Some of them can also do upwards of 50amps, but, no need for any bigger than that on a skoolie/RV.

The main reason I’m responding to an older post is because I need some clarity. I’ve been looking at SO MANY options when it comes to equipment I think I’ve gone cross eyed. For our skoolie I’ll be running the majority of the electrical in 110v. The lights and some other devices will run off our 12v system. I have a portable generator that I’m removing all the cowling off of and mounting it under the bus in custom made housing with ample airflow and the exhaust ported. Well will also be able to plug into shore power, as well as have an inverter/charger for when we’re sleeping don’t want anything running while boondocking.

That gives me 4, yes, 4 options for 100v power. I’m buying 1 automatic transfer switch but a manual 3-way transfer switch to select either shore/generator/alternator power. That will feed the auto switch and take over when we have the power source running.

It’s going to be a HEFTY electrical system and the house batteries have a few different ways of charging, as well as solar. Right now, we’re getting a smaller solar system (400-800watts) because we do have those multiple options to charge the batteries. Yes, I know that we won’t get much charging off the solar, but, it will be sufficient for trickle charging and maintaining the batteries.

I’m running into issues where I’m having an issue selecting the correct electrical items. Do I need an inverter/charger or can I get a nicer inverter and just get a charger separate? Do you think I’ll need more than one charger because I’ll have those other charging options? And, most of all.... am I going overboard?!?!? I’m an electrician and residential contractor and have always worked with contingency plans. I want 2 failsafes so we don’t end up having any issues. Any input is much appreciated!

Thank you!!
Hippiehustlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, needed, power