Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2016, 11:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Gmc
Engine: 5.7l 350 v8, gmc
Rated Cap: 41 passenger
what do i need for electrical system?

so i am somewhat new to the skoolie game starting from scratch right now on my 88 gmc bluebird, and i am looking at starting the electrical setup, i plan on making a 4 to 6 battery bank to run everything in the cabin off of and have the separate single battery for starting the bus itself. i want to be able to connect to shore power to charge and run everything when possible. not planning on have a generator (but will still most likely get one to be more prepared), but i do plan on adding a solar setup to it eventually but that's in the future.

i haven't been able to find anything step by step on here as far as everything needed to build the system, inverter, converter, what size amp panel, outlets, how to connect it all, how to also charge battery bank of alternator, etc...

im just looking to start purchasing the parts i need for the project but i have no idea where to begin and really how much power i need and what is generally standard for motorhomes.
im thinking probably 3 outlets for running low powered things like charging phones, coffee maker, led lighting and all other necessities.

i already have a wood stove for heat, and i plan on setting up a roof mount a/c unit for travel in warm weather, which i hopefully can run off of the motor.

so main question is what all do i need for the whole shibang?

Majikfoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 84
That is a pretty broad question. There is some good info in this thread:
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/ho...ms-ac-448.html

Mike Sokol's No Shock Zone is also good reading:
The Shocking Truth About RVs | No~Shock~Zone

I found this to be a good simple write up:
https://skywagonskoolie.wordpress.com/electrical/

I bought the Black and Decker Complete Guide to Wiring, and it has been very helpful also:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-C.../dp/159186612X

I don't think you will be able to run your rooftop A/C from the engine, you will probably need a generator to run it when you are driving. However, if you throw enough solar panels and batteries at it, it is possible to run a small A/C during the day:
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/bu...er-8860-2.html
Piersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:21 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Ya I know this is a pretty broad question but I haven't been able to find any current posts on what is fully needed to set up legitimate power, just bits and pieces of people's issues along the way. Thank you very much for any help!
Old 05-28-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikfoolbus View Post
Ya I know this is a pretty broad question but I haven't been able to find any current posts on what is fully needed to set up legitimate power, just bits and pieces of people's issues along the way. Thank you very much for any help!
I have a book called
Managing 12 volts how to upgrade,operate,and troubleshoot 12v electrical systems. Written by Harold Barre.
It covers almost every aspect from alternators,generators,solar power,wind power, batteries,switches,chargers and all.
It has helped me understand a lot.
Also the no shock zone is a must read.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

So how do rvs run their a/c during travel? That's all I'm want air conditioning for. And hope to do a roof mount as my bus has no current a/c
Old 05-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: MVP
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
So how do rvs run their a/c during travel? That's all I'm want air conditioning for. And hope to do a roof mount as my bus has no current a/c
Generator.
Piersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:13 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Or...a monster alternator and inverter system.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:10 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Looks like I'm getting a generator linked to the gas tank after all.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
I also strongly reccommend visiting handy bob's page and reading the RV battery charging puzzle. for a basic understanding. I also second Piersg's recommendations, I would suggest the same links.

I'm no expert and I'm still working on my system myself but I will try and break down for you a rough checklist. First you need to establish your wattage needs, an AC will take a lot of wattage, as will hair dryers, induction stoves, space heaters, (things that mess with temperature) so all of these would be good to avoid if possible. It's also worth noting that if AC is very important to you, then you should take insulation very seriously assuming you are concerned about the long term game plan. That said I decided on about 1000watts, which is convenient because I have a nice 1000watt honda generator I impulse bought with my tax returns . My big needs are my rice cooker which is rated at about 1000watts, and my wifes hair dryer which is rated at about 1200watts. Both of these are a bit of a gamble, but I am assuming that the hair dryer on low will be below 1000watts, and the rice cooker will be below 1000watts when it's not cooking.

INVERTER: You need this to turn your 12VDC battery electricity to 120VAC. For my 1000watt needs, I will be using a magnum mms1012 pure sine wave inverter charger. This is probably a little expensive/excessive, but since I'm not an electrician I figure reducing parts is good. You can save a lot of money by buying a modified sine wave charger instead of a pure sinewave, but it seems that it's in general better for your devices to use a pure sinewave charger.

CONVERTER/BATTERY CHARGER: If you do not get a inverter charger like myself, it's within your best interest to get a device that will turn AC wall power into 12VDC to charge your batteries.

POWER SOURCE: Whether you go with a generator, solar panels, wind charger or all of them, that's up to you. However you will want to make sure you have enough power to sustain your electrical needs.

BATTERIES: Flooded "golf cart" batteries, seem to be the cost effective solution, make sure to keep them in a well ventalated area because they release hydrogen gas that is explosive.

CHARGE CONTROLLER: This is necessary if your chargers do not regulate their charge, your batteries will probably have special charging needs and this will protect/aid them in keeping a long life, also it will be necessary for solar panel charging. I will be using the trimetric sc2030

BATTERY MONITOR: You'll want to have this so you can see how much juice your batteries have in them. The trimetric 2030 is what I will be using.

BREAKER PANEL & SUB PANEL: This will middleman between your power source and your battery charger, it will protect your electrical system from overcurrent. My conceptual knowledge kind of tapers off around here but I believe you will want a sub panel to divide your electrical distribution: A dedicated switch for your AC, a switch for your kitchen, a switch for your bedroom/living room, a switch for a dryer in the bathroom, maybe a switch for using tools outside?

you should also consider a water cooler this diy swamp cooler which will be a considerably lighter load on your electricity

In case I didn't clarify my credibility: I have no certifications, no professional work experience in carpentry/tradesmen skills, and do not have electricity installed in my bus yet. There are a lot of people on this forum who I would trust over my word, however maybe my ramble can help you find some direction.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you so much! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I just dove head first into all of the information already on this website that is electrical setup. And it was just way to much and super confusing to start. This is a great base for someone that doesn't know where to really begin.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

All I really want a/c for is travel. That's the only time you can't escape the heat.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Hey where in Washington are you?
edit: I'll just send you a PM
Old 05-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
If you *ONLY* want A/C for travel, you could consider an engine-driven system typically used for coach setups. My bus has 2 such systems, front and rear, which I intend to keep (at least for now). I have yet to determine which direction I will go with this bus, and until I get the title straightened out, I do not want to tie up a lot of money in it.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:30 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
All I really want a/c for is travel. That's the only time you can't escape the heat.
Used to call that 465 as a kid in texas. 4 windows down at 65mph ?
For me my family gets 10 windows at 49mph and ain't figured that one out yet but when on the road with windows open we don't need AC?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #15
Skoolie

Assuming a 6250 Watt Gense, two 900 ca Deepcycle batteries ... possibly upgrading to another one (total 3), AND a Trimetric SC2030 charge control and monitor ...

What battery charger(s) will work in this type system?

Type, Size, Quantity, Brand and where might I find them?

Thank you
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Assuming a 6250 Watt Gense, two 900 ca Deepcycle batteries ... possibly upgrading to another one (total 3), AND a Trimetric SC2030 charge control and monitor ...

Perhaps I should ask, what SMART 3 stage, 35-100 amp 12VDC battery charger(s) will work in this type system?

Which brands are good and where can I find them?

Will I still need to install a Trimetric Charge Control/monitor?
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:45 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

yes what are some good brands too look into as far as invert/chargers and what not.

so far ive been looking at the AIMS Power (PICOGLF40W12V120V) 4000W Pure Sine Inverter Charger on amazon, seams decent but for $900 i would hope so?
Old 06-30-2016, 05:11 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

Thank you
if its got ca or cca on it its not a true deep cycle battery. should say ah @ 20 hr rate
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
yes what are some good brands too look into as far as invert/chargers and what not.

so far ive been looking at the AIMS Power (PICOGLF40W12V120V) 4000W Pure Sine Inverter Charger on amazon, seams decent but for $900 i would hope so?
I don't know much, but I have a made in USA magnum mms 1012 inverter charger. There are a few other big names out there, but from what I read magnum is the way to go. I don't know what your power needs are but I don't know if you need that big of an Inverter. Larger inverters waste more electricity inverting the current. Also if you have big power loads, that means you'll need a bigger battery bank along with higher power generation (whether from solar panels or gas generators) Looking back on my 1000watt inverter decision, maybe I could use a 2000 watt inverter, but I think I'm just going to get a separate cheap 2000 watt inverter to run big loads if needed. It's also worth noting, that I will be running as much as I can from 12v such as overhead lighting, interior fans, and maybe a computer if I can figure that out. Apparently I haven't thought this through thoroughly.

Unless you're trying to run an electric space heater with an air conditioner while you play xbox 1 on a 50 inch CRT TV, you'll probably be fine with a 2000watt. But that's my opinion. It's worth noting my electric system is still sitting in boxes in my living room.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:36 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: International
Engine: 444 International/545
Rated Cap: Handicap bus
I have a 5000 watt generator, it runs a 15k btu AC, a house oscillating fan, and a couple phone and radio chargers. It runs them fine, but doesn't cool the bus like I would like. Usually if it's over 80 it only makes about a 5 degree difference. This is with spray foam insulation, white bus, tinted windows, and curtains. In the future maybe I'll try a battery bank with an additional smaller AC.
Lbickham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, needed, power