Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3500 vandura
Engine: 6.5L GMC
Rated Cap: 16
What kind of paint to use?

I've read many posts here about what kind of paint to use for the exterior of a bus. I tried to get Rustoleum Implement Paint but can't find it here in California in stock anywhere and no one will ship it here due to CA hazmat standards. I tried True Value XO farm equipment paint and Val Spar, same deal, can't get it in liquid form, only rattle cans. I did find Magic brand implement paint but read a lot of bad reviews on how it went on and how it faded or would't dry, even with hardener. I really only want to do this once and do it right. All I have available to me off the shelf here is Rustoluem Professional High Performance Protective Enamel at home depot. A lot of people on this site have used Rustoleum with recent results. I plan or using a roller and not a sprayer. Which Rustoleum worked for you?

jennynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennynic View Post
I've read many posts here about what kind of paint to use for the exterior of a bus. I tried to get Rustoleum Implement Paint but can't find it here in California in stock anywhere and no one will ship it here due to CA hazmat standards. I tried True Value XO farm equipment paint and Val Spar, same deal, can't get it in liquid form, only rattle cans. I did find Magic brand implement paint but read a lot of bad reviews on how it went on and how it faded or would't dry, even with hardener. I really only want to do this once and do it right. All I have available to me off the shelf here is Rustoluem Professional High Performance Protective Enamel at home depot. A lot of people on this site have used Rustoleum with recent results. I plan or using a roller and not a sprayer. Which Rustoleum worked for you?
AFAIK Rustoleum products are pretty much the same. Oil based enamel.
I've heard the epa has been curtailing the sale of it out west and that we soon may be cut off from it here in the east, as well.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
AFAIK Rustoleum products are pretty much the same. Oil based enamel.
I've heard the epa has been curtailing the sale of it out west and that we soon may be cut off from it here in the east, as well.

I love that stuff i paint every thing with it. 3 years ago i painted my boat and it still looks new. Roll it on or spray it I prefer rollers
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:39 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

paint

Thanks for the paint info. I bought the Rustoleum professional high performance enamel. I bought two gallons of gloss white and quart of green and blue each. I plan to mix up my own aqua color and roll it on with catalyst hardener and acetone to thin it. Pictures to come with the results.

Many Thanks
Old 10-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennynic View Post
Thanks for the paint info. I bought the Rustoleum professional high performance enamel. I bought two gallons of gloss white and quart of green and blue each. I plan to mix up my own aqua color and roll it on with catalyst hardener and acetone to thin it. Pictures to come with the results.

Many Thanks
Are you rolling or spraying?

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:22 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

paint

I'm rolling it.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:22 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Adding a little Floetrol and some hardener to Rustoleum enamel makes for easier application and a much smoother, tougher finish.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: E450 Ferd
Engine: 6.0L Diesel
Rated Cap: 20 window lickin Jeffies
This

and this

and last (but not least) this:

Got me this:

(Hi Mom!)

I rolled the top (almond) and sprayed the green. I mixed green and silver and black to get this metallic green color. You can't roll metallic. If you want to roll it, I'd thin the paint about 10% w/ Acetone, and mix the hardener about 15:1. And use a 1/4" knap roller.

Again, you can't roll metallic. It will look swirly and blotchy and like absolute sh!t. But you can roll solid colors with a short knap roller and have it come out pretty nice, especially on vertical surfaces.
Goatherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

paint supplies

Check. check. check. I have exactly what you listed in your post, with the addition of Henry's elatosmeric white paint that's going on the roof. I am mixing my colors too and hoping for the best. I thought about adding metallic to the aqua I am making, as my bus is a mermaid theme. Glad to read your info on how it doesn't roll well. I'm going to paint a mermaid on the front panel below the roof that is just above the windshield. I'll use the metallic for that instead.

Your bus looks great. I hope mine turns out as good.

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:12 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Adding a little Floetrol and some hardener to Rustoleum enamel makes for easier application and a much smoother, tougher finish.
I thought Floetrol was for Latex only? Where can i get the hardener? How much should i use per gallon? I am going to roll mine.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

penetrol

That was my understanding about FLoetrol too. Penetrol is similar to FLoetrol but for oil enamel, but if you live in California you can't get it anywhere. I got the same catalyst hardener Goatherder shows (magic brand) at Tractor Supply.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #12
Skoolie

Makes your paint with the swirly thing you stick in the drill
Old 10-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

mixing paint

Hi Goatherder. I bought the swirly drill thing to mix my paint. $6.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatherder View Post
This

and this

and last (but not least) this:

Got me this:

(Hi Mom!)

I rolled the top (almond) and sprayed the green. I mixed green and silver and black to get this metallic green color. You can't roll metallic. If you want to roll it, I'd thin the paint about 10% w/ Acetone, and mix the hardener about 15:1. And use a 1/4" knap roller.

Again, you can't roll metallic. It will look swirly and blotchy and like absolute sh!t. But you can roll solid colors with a short knap roller and have it come out pretty nice, especially on vertical surfaces.
Awesome, looks good man!
Old 10-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
This is probably what I'll go with.... as close to UK blue as I can find. This on the bottom with the Bus-Kote on the top.

As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
so what part to what part in this concoction? is there a formula?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
so what part to what part in this concoction? is there a formula?r
This is the ratio that was given a few posts back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatherder View Post
If you want to roll it, I'd thin the paint about 10% w/ Acetone, and mix the hardener about 15:1. And use a 1/4" knap roller.
So, by my math, that would be 12 oz of acetone and 8 oz of hardener (the whole can, if you use what was pictured) per gallon of paint.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
This is the ratio that was given a few posts back:

So, by my math, that would be 12 oz of acetone and 8 oz of hardener (the whole can, if you use what was pictured) per gallon of paint.

perfect exactly what I needed!.

im not planniong to do a whole bus (I wish I could but my storage spots and my HOA both are sticklers on exterior vehicle painting.. ),, so nowhere to park and spend the time needed to strip the lettering, reflective taoe, etc.. ill have ti pay the piper and have it painted..

however im looking to find something decently durable for the wheels.. ive tried a couple spray products on the wheels of the DEV.. cleaned, roughed up, primed, etc and still the first massive rain i drive theb us through paint flies off the wheels..

so I'll be brushing this on as I can reach everything at least on the outer wheels with a brush.. if I ever have the inners off I'll paint them then.

how much working time do you have after you mix the parts? is it a use the whole can in one shot? or can you seal the can off and use it for a second coat the next day?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:30 PM   #19
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
perfect exactly what I needed!....

how much working time do you have after you mix the parts? is it a use the whole can in one shot? or can you seal the can off and use it for a second coat the next day?

-Christopher
NO! You've got 8hr pot life after you mix in the catalyst. And I think that varies with temperature.

I actually painted this bus twice. First time was with 1gal Hunter Green and a qt of Silver, and a can of Hardener. Came out Liberace Green - a little bit too fruity for me.

So the next day I mixed up a whole new batch with 5qt green, 1qt silver, 1/2 pint can of gloss black...and mixed the hardener in as I went. About a quart batch at a time - 5 parts paint, 2 parts acetone, 1/3 part hardener. I've got about a quart of paint left so I mixed that 1 can of hardener into about 5 qts of paint. Paint cured up pretty well, it was 80F when I sprayed.

Good luck with your paint jobs.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Liberace was THE MAN!