Old 10-03-2016, 06:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3500 vandura
Engine: 6.5L GMC
Rated Cap: 16
What kind of paint to use?

I've read many posts here about what kind of paint to use for the exterior of a bus. I tried to get Rustoleum Implement Paint but can't find it here in California in stock anywhere and no one will ship it here due to CA hazmat standards. I tried True Value XO farm equipment paint and Val Spar, same deal, can't get it in liquid form, only rattle cans. I did find Magic brand implement paint but read a lot of bad reviews on how it went on and how it faded or would't dry, even with hardener. I really only want to do this once and do it right. All I have available to me off the shelf here is Rustoluem Professional High Performance Protective Enamel at home depot. A lot of people on this site have used Rustoleum with recent results. I plan or using a roller and not a sprayer. Which Rustoleum worked for you?
jennynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennynic View Post
I've read many posts here about what kind of paint to use for the exterior of a bus. I tried to get Rustoleum Implement Paint but can't find it here in California in stock anywhere and no one will ship it here due to CA hazmat standards. I tried True Value XO farm equipment paint and Val Spar, same deal, can't get it in liquid form, only rattle cans. I did find Magic brand implement paint but read a lot of bad reviews on how it went on and how it faded or would't dry, even with hardener. I really only want to do this once and do it right. All I have available to me off the shelf here is Rustoluem Professional High Performance Protective Enamel at home depot. A lot of people on this site have used Rustoleum with recent results. I plan or using a roller and not a sprayer. Which Rustoleum worked for you?
AFAIK Rustoleum products are pretty much the same. Oil based enamel.
I've heard the epa has been curtailing the sale of it out west and that we soon may be cut off from it here in the east, as well.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
AFAIK Rustoleum products are pretty much the same. Oil based enamel.
I've heard the epa has been curtailing the sale of it out west and that we soon may be cut off from it here in the east, as well.

I love that stuff i paint every thing with it. 3 years ago i painted my boat and it still looks new. Roll it on or spray it I prefer rollers
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:39 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

paint

Thanks for the paint info. I bought the Rustoleum professional high performance enamel. I bought two gallons of gloss white and quart of green and blue each. I plan to mix up my own aqua color and roll it on with catalyst hardener and acetone to thin it. Pictures to come with the results.

Many Thanks
Old 10-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennynic View Post
Thanks for the paint info. I bought the Rustoleum professional high performance enamel. I bought two gallons of gloss white and quart of green and blue each. I plan to mix up my own aqua color and roll it on with catalyst hardener and acetone to thin it. Pictures to come with the results.

Many Thanks
Are you rolling or spraying?

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT645 Ttanny 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

paint

I'm rolling it.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Adding a little Floetrol and some hardener to Rustoleum enamel makes for easier application and a much smoother, tougher finish.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:37 PM   #8
Almost There

This

and this

and last (but not least) this:

Got me this:

(Hi Mom!)

I rolled the top (almond) and sprayed the green. I mixed green and silver and black to get this metallic green color. You can't roll metallic. If you want to roll it, I'd thin the paint about 10% w/ Acetone, and mix the hardener about 15:1. And use a 1/4" knap roller.

Again, you can't roll metallic. It will look swirly and blotchy and like absolute sh!t. But you can roll solid colors with a short knap roller and have it come out pretty nice, especially on vertical surfaces.
Goatherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:51 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

paint supplies

Check. check. check. I have exactly what you listed in your post, with the addition of Henry's elatosmeric white paint that's going on the roof. I am mixing my colors too and hoping for the best. I thought about adding metallic to the aqua I am making, as my bus is a mermaid theme. Glad to read your info on how it doesn't roll well. I'm going to paint a mermaid on the front panel below the roof that is just above the windshield. I'll use the metallic for that instead.

Your bus looks great. I hope mine turns out as good.

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Adding a little Floetrol and some hardener to Rustoleum enamel makes for easier application and a much smoother, tougher finish.
I thought Floetrol was for Latex only? Where can i get the hardener? How much should i use per gallon? I am going to roll mine.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT645 Ttanny 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote