Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 90 passenger
Question What type of insulation for floors and walls?

Hello! I'm about to put insulation in my floors. I've already ripped up the rubber and wood subflooring and used OSPHO and then painted over it with POR-15. I was thinking of putting 1 x 2's lengthwise about every 4 feet or so and then filling the floor with some type of insulation before putting wood over that. What would be the best type of insulation? Also, what is the best insulation to use in the walls, beneath the windows? We didn't take the ceiling off so we aren't replacing the insulation up top or where the speakers and wiring are at on the sides. Thinking of filling holes with poly caulk and then repainting another coat of POR-15 and getting started. What insulation should I get? Please help! I've done 2 other conversions but we didn't take out the floors or the walls.

Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Hey there, so first off you'll have a lot of luck googling the following. "site:skoolie.net subfloor insulation" (or whatever else you're looking for), from here I like to go through the image search because pictures are more fun than words.

That said I'm in a similar boat as you are now: Insulation choices.

I made a thread a few days ago which you can find here, where we discuss this topic.

Here's my short opinion.

I intend to use XPS insulation for the flooring because of it's rigidity, Polyiso for the walls and ceiling. Spray foam is better for walls and ceiling, but it's pricey. Avoid using great stuff spray foam because it's not designed for metal.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:55 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
I forgot to address your other question but I will be copying JakeC's Brutus method of attaching the subfloor which you can find here

I would say 80% of the builds will show how they do their flooring, your proposed method is popular through many builds. Many state on this site that the real knowledge is in the builds, I try to read them over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 90 passenger
Thanks. I've been looking on here for over a month for insulation ideas and everyone seems to disagree. I was thinking foam board insulation based on what most people said. I just don't know what that is exactly, so I don't know what to look for.
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:32 AM   #5
Bus Nut

If you go to the hard ware store and find blue or pink foam board just different manufactures. There are different types of foam board though. Very few use the expanded bead foam board "white polystyrene" Others on here are more knowledgeable.
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring, insulation, walls