Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: How fast do you drive comfortably?
Less than 50 mph (80 km/h) 3 5.17%
50-59 mph (80 to 95 km/h) 23 39.66%
60-65 mph (96 to 105 km/h) 18 31.03%
Faster than 65 mph (105 km/h) 14 24.14%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
What's the fastest you drive comfortably?

I didn't specify anything beyond 65mi/105km because it seems few skoolies can go that fast.

Below are divergent skoolies...sorry, schools of thought on how these rigs handle speed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gealto (Sep 03, 2004, Skoolie Conversion Projects -->Picacho Project)
They're terrible on the interstate. I drive mine at 45, and it runs very smoothly and comfortably at that speed. If your ego won't let you do that, your in trouble with the skoolie. At 45 mine will run all day without sweating. At 55, where the governer kicks in, it's much less comfortable to drive. When your used to it, interstate driving at 45 is very comfortable, and safer as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle (May 03, 2010, Classifieds/Wish List -->Skoolie.net skoolie for sale - 1972 International Ward $6000)
I might take you up on that [response to Steve's challenge to a drag race] had I not sold my B-700. You'd be short 2 gears and 185ci. (Spicer 5+2 and a gas 460.) Plenty of power, still pulling when I backed out just past 75MPH.
Gealto's remarks surprise me because I would think that a school bus in excellent condition would handle freeway speeds better than a creaky old stix-&-staples RV as long as the engine/drivetrain allowed it. With other people doing 75 or 80 (even in semis), putzing along at 45 seems dangerous, even though Gealto is smart enough to stay in the slow lane (as mentioned in his post referenced above outside my quote). Traveling 30 mph faster than the vehicle ahead gives a driver little time either to change lanes or hit the brakes - especially if the driver is texting, updating Facebook status, etc., while driving.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Re: What's the fastest you drive comfortably?

Mine is quite comfortable at 75, feels much better than my semi.
I certainly wouldn't want to come up behind gealto in much of any situation on any interstate that the speed limit is 65 or more.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

I do the speed limit BUT in a car I feel most comfortable going 65ish. With my bus I found doing 55-60 is her sweet area where she gets the best mpg and handles fantastic. Did find that I don't like doing 65 speed limit due to the fact the gov kicks in and won't let me go faster than that--there are times you need to MOVE faster or get your ass run over.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

I try to keep it in the 55-62mph range. That seems to be the best spot for MPG. It will go faster but at a much larger cost. When I'm driving the bus I'm in no hurry.

I also avoid the freeway at all costs. It fits right in on secondary highways.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

canuk in a shuttle bus here i can do 110 - 130 but it eats my mileage!! 100 is the sweet spot (64 mph)
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

David ran the bus coming out west on the interstates mostly. He did about 60-65 on the flats but dropped big time climbing the hills. Other than that, we haven't really driven the bus. I've had my old stick-n-staples RV (big GMC gasser - 454?) doing up to a good 80+ mph. I couldn't have stopped the heavy thing but I think I could have gone faster. In my Jeep Grand Cherokee, the "sweet spot" is about 85-90 mph. I get my best fuel mileage there according to the onboard computer. I no longer run that fast. No more 200 mile trips with the furkids squabbling in the back over "sides" or the dog telling me she had to go pee... AGAIN, so I've slowed down to the posted speed limits.

Basically, the faster you go, the worse your mpgs suck dirt. We aren't in that big of a hurry anymore. Also we have discovered that the primary highways (the "US" designated ones) offer a slower speed limit, more relaxing less stressful drive and we usually make as good or better time. For example, we would run US441 on our Cordele GA/Franklin NC trips back when David was working in Cordele AND Franklin (Highlands). We bypassed Atlanta completely (yea!) on the East side since we would get off/on I-75 in Macon. It added a few miles to the trip but saved us over an hour by missing Atlanta (that's figuring our fastest trip thru Atlanta via I-985/I-285/I-75). We had similar results when we ran US17 on the West side of Atlanta when we ran up to Chattanooga for Riverbend Fest one year. Downside is that on a Sunday, almost EVERYTHING is closed in small towns. The important stuff like repair shops are closed. Luckily we had the Jeep to run to the NEXT town to get a socket to get the flat tire off the Class C. Thank heavens for "toweds".
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

When I first started driving a truck 800 mile days weren't unusual. Now I'm doing good to make myself do 500. I too tend to take non interstates when possible, at least west of Illinois. I've found many routes that are miles shorter especially to southwest. Only 7 weeks to go and I can get down to work on the bus. People may think it odd that I plan to travel, but I want to show mumsywumsy the places I have seen from afar, and actually go and see them. I still enjoy driving, I just don't like to get up in the morning and think "I have to be 500 miles from here before I quit tonight".
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
When I first started driving a truck 800 mile days weren't unusual. Now I'm doing good to make myself do 500. I too tend to take non interstates when possible, at least west of Illinois. I've found many routes that are miles shorter especially to southwest. Only 7 weeks to go and I can get down to work on the bus. People may think it odd that I plan to travel, but I want to show mumsywumsy the places I have seen from afar, and actually go and see them. I still enjoy driving, I just don't like to get up in the morning and think "I have to be 500 miles from here before I quit tonight".
Same here. I drive all day and can't wait to get on the bike or in the pick up and take a drive. I actually just look forward to places to park and take a few pictures and relax!
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

63-65. Rides nice, good mileage and safer than running full out.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

i drive up to 70 mph, but i should go 15mph slower and save fuel in my cat engine...
Old 12-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

I tried going 60 MPH, but my motor was wimpy. I went pedal to the metal on my trip to Missouri. The bus went 67.
Recently I took a little road trip. This time, the bus went 69 to 72. It drove well and sounded good. It climbed up hills better.
That is the way I will drive it now. I have no clue what the RPMs are (no tach).
I know that there is a governor on the motor. I have heard different stories about running the motor flat out. Most people say that it is OK.
My motor is almost 39 years old, and is still running good. It makes some black smoke when it is working hard on the freeway.
Around town, it does not smoke noticeably.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

as long as you have good oil and good filter meaning good oil flow it should be okay. i drove my little liteace to arkansas flat out (70mph 120km/hr) for like 14 hours each way and it did no damage to it. (diesel)
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by syke
I try to keep it in the 55-62mph range. That seems to be the best spot for MPG. It will go faster but at a much larger cost. When I'm driving the bus I'm in no hurry.

I also avoid the freeway at all costs. It fits right in on secondary highways.
Ditto...
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #14

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

60 +/-

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote