Old 12-15-2006, 06:32 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Right, a bus does not have a whole lot in common with a sports car! Except... the laws of physics.
Thank you for the kind words! I figure everything helps when we are trying to figure out what the... uh... hoot we are doing with these big silly yellow things.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:19 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Yellow? Mine is currently International Tractor White (it's actually a beige color) and covered in Sharpie graffeti from the people at all the places it has been this summer.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:45 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Heh, heh... Yes of course. My new bus is not painted yet, but the old one was white with a red stripe. Colors are funny things -- that bus was 95% white and 5% red, yet several people referred to it as the red bus. That stripe was what they noticed.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy
split rims

I have 2 vehicles with split rims and have changed them all myself (probably a dozen) and all I can say is pay real close attention to the ring and if it is seating properly when filling, get some air in it and turn it over to finish. The 2 piece wheels are the deadly ones and get rid of them no matter what! My steel wheels are all Firestone 3 piece and I am not scared of them now that I have experience with them. Most any truck stop or farm tire supply will work on them. Also, if you look at my bus pictures in the gallery (page 14) I have 20"ALLOY SPLIT RIMS. Alcoa made them a few decades ago and I was lucky enough to find 4 of them (lug centered). They looked like crap and I even had to fix a couple of cracks (lifetime welder) but they are polished up and looking good on the old bus. I have real good 20" tires and didn't want to sell them and try and buy a set of 22.5's with wheels. If you are a real good scrounger I bet you can round up a set and make that bus stand out. Good luck! Sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #15

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Thomas (2nd design)
Chassis: S6000
Engine: 366 Gas GMC
Rated Cap: 30
Re: Wheel/Tire FAQ

Hello to all. I am new to all of this so hopefully my question hasn't already been answered and I overlooked it. Anyway, I have 8.25x20 10 lug tires on split rims (size 20x7.50-currently on the bus. It came with a set (6) extra rims size 22.5x8.25 What size tire can I put on the 22.5 rims that will be the closest match and not affect my speedometer. I tried finding a tire size calculator to answer my own question but couldn't find one that had the same size tires and rim combos.

How do you add a picture?
bigkkarl_k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #16
Skoolie

Do Budd Wheels Work on a 1964?

I have old buses. I found some 10 lug Alcoa Budd Wheels with Michelin XRV 255/80R22.5 tires on them. I was wondering if anyond definitively knows if these will work on my 1964 GMC/Wayne School Bus. I know the front hubs only actually have 5 studs, but there are 10 studs in the back axle and the wheels are all 10 hole interchangeable. I really want some aluminum wheels, but I'm not sure if anything or what will fit. Any advice is much appreciated.

Here are a few pictures of what I have: (neither are closeups. I can get some if needed.)

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skooli ... 5.jpg.html
http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skooli ... 8.jpg.html

EDIT: I found this on the forum. I guess I'll just have to measure them both and see.

"WRONG Wrong wrong, all 10 hole wheels are not the same. I found this out in buying the alloy wheels for my bus. There are 2 kinds of wheels, HUB centered and LUG centered and they WILL NOT INTERCHANGE! Take a tape measure and find out for yourself. The older ones (sometime pre 90's) are lug centered and later ones are hub centered. You can look at the lug nuts and figure out which is which. If you see a lug nut that has a flange that is holding the wheel on then it's hub centered. If you see no flange on the nut and a tapered lug nut like on a car then it's lug centered. Also you don't need to change the inner rears out unless you want to, steels work fine, the only difference is weight savings."
davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #17
Skoolie

I found a good link that was really helpful.

http://www.accuridewheels.com/completeversion.pdf

I took a screenshot of the type of wheels I have. Now I just need to find them in the material I want.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1964_gmc_bus_wheels.gif (41.0 KB, 687 views)
Old 06-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

thanks davido thats what im looking for also i found some from an 80's bus and they are the same as my 65 chevy bus are you gonna go to 22.5? alums would be nice but havent seen anything like that yet timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:19 PM   #19
Skoolie

I'm not sure. I've been talking to a guy that has some. I'm not sure if they'll fit. Ultimately I would like to have some aluminum ones. Depends on what I can find. I'd go up to the 22.5s if that was required. I only have 20s now. We don't drive it very far, just locally for tailgating. I also read this which may be an alternative:

"The center hole on the new metric wheels are larger and will not hold the wheel centered. However you can have the stud holes beveled and change to bud style lug nuts this will hold the wheel centered. It is done all the time with big truck wheels when guys find good deals on hub piloted wheels and have a truck that uses buds."
Old 08-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1966
Coachwork: supierior
Chassis: Chevy C60
Engine: Chevy 454
Rated Cap: 10

Its split rims and wheels, Split rims have a rim on them and a lock ring, together they form a wheel that splits, or split rims. one piece Wheels bolt directly to the hub and are one piece and are in no way shape or form a rim, they do however have a rim on them but all round things do, just cause a glass has a rim on it doesnt mean that we sould call it a rim. A rim is just that a rim like on a spoked wheel, the rim is the outer bit, the whole shabang is a wheel. International and some trailers and such use a sort of rim that attaches to a hub. We need to stop this confusion of calling all things round that we put tires on rims.
junkyardkid is offline   Reply With Quote