Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000
Engine: 7.6 L / DT466
Rated Cap: 72 Pass.
Where to buy battery wires and terminal mounts?

Hey Skoolie folks!

Where would I buy 4/0 gauge wire to connect all my batteries together? What wire gauge do you use? Home Depot and Auto parts store don’t have any.

Where do you buy your Copper lug and cable (those terminal mounts that you put the wire in one end and it connects to the battery terminal with a screw on the other).

Cheers!

TheRoanBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
Not sure about 4/0 AWG. My AIMS 3000W/6000W inverter/ charger only calls for 2/0 AWG. But I am keeping the runs at 5' or less for inverter to battery bank and jumpers for the bank between batteries are 16" same 2/0AWG. My inverter called for a 500AMP fuse between bank and inverter. I purchased the ANL fuse holder and fuses from fleabay, as well as all the 2/0 PREMADE with the ends already on for + and - sides from fleabay as well. I will see if it is still listed in my history for a seller name/ id if helps.
Doug
Defjr333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoanBus View Post
Hey Skoolie folks!

Where would I buy 4/0 gauge wire to connect all my batteries together? What wire gauge do you use? Home Depot and Auto parts store don’t have any.

Where do you buy your Copper lug and cable (those terminal mounts that you put the wire in one end and it connects to the battery terminal with a screw on the other).

Cheers!
I found both the wire and the lugs (connectors) I needed at Tractor Supply.

You might want to think about getting a 10 Ton Hydraulic Crimper. It really does a good job and is very fast. Just know that the numbers on the dies don't mean anything ... you'll have to try a couple test crimps!

Under $30 with the shipping is cheaper than what I paid for the same tool: https://www.walmart.com/ip/10-Ton-Hy...&wl13=&veh=sem
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
You can use a welding supply store. Instead of the crimp style connectors they will have a beefier style lug body(set screw) type with an enclosed cover jacket.
My local stores only sell a minimum of 25' but yours might have scraps?
True soft copper stranded wire made to take abuse,twisting,rolling,vibration and anything you can throw at it in a battery connection situation.
Kind of like spend the money up front and never worry about it again or question what you have in your mind every time you look at your alternator gauge for starting or while on the road?
I tend to oversize thing for piece in my mind.
for example I ran 3-wire 12-gauge extension cords for all of my 12v wiring which left me with a spare wire if there ever was a problem and any 120 I pulled a spare extension cord as well?
Anything buried in a wall,ceiling has a spare not because I question what I did but because if there ever is a problem I have a backup until I can find the problem.
I don't expect a problem and all wire through metal penetrations are surrounded with old water hose on some and others are sleeved in rubber tubing for 6-8' ?
But that is my perspective and how I built?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:54 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Interstate battery distributors can either sell or make the cables for you. Even the tandem for parallel group 31 with the insulated stud post setup. Dunno bout 4/0 that's a little over kill. Double ought is over kill even for a 12V-92 Detroit Diesel.1/0 is sufficient.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:58 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Chevy 5.7L V8 Gas
Arctic Ultraflex Blue and Industrial Electrical Wiring Supplies | Polar Wire
They are expensive, but if you've ever had to deal with stiff 2/0 or 4/0 cable and tried to get it in the right spot, you'll be glad you splurged for the ridiculously flexible stuff these guys make.
MEllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Welding cable. Pretty sure you can get it on Amazon. It's nice and flexible.

https://www.amazon.com/Crimp-Supply-...ng+cable+4%2F0

Buy a hammer crimp for $10 on Amazon or at Home Depot and you just cut the wire to length and hammer the lugs on. On Amazon the 5 foot lengths (2 x 5 ft length black and red 4/0 cable) plus 4 lugs, which come INCLUDED, it's like $60. I honestly think this is your most affordable option and you don't even need to leave the house.