Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Window skinning options?

Trying to think of a way to cover some of the bus windows without removing the windows and replacing with sheet metal. Thought about tinting but not sure I'll like the look and I've heard paint wont stick well to the glass? Saw a thread on here discussing vinyl sign material? but cant find it and didn't really grasp the concept...any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
GonzoStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60
Re: Window skinning options?

You could go to a sign shop and have them cut you vinyl to fit the glass.
Many folks will just limo tint them if they aren't going to remove them. Your local AutoZone, walmart, etc will have rolls of window tint. Get the darkest stuff you can find, watch some youtube videos on installing it, and go to town, so to speak.
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

If it helps, there are some decrorative films out there. http://windowfilmworld.com/ Has a taste. Gila makes next best thing to expensive 3M (not that Gila is cheap imo). I'm guessing you want to be able to use the windows, create privacy, insulate, or even block light? There are a variety of skins out there. Might also consider just using rigid insulation boards, pop in and pop out.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466

Thanks for the tips! Smitty - its still an option to just remove the unwanted windows I'm just not familiar working with sheet metal and don't wanna screw it up...any advice on how to mount it and what gauge i should use?
GonzoStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

I know some have used 20ga sheet metal to fill in the windows, but what about using FRP? I ran across a sample of different FRP panels and found a nice white smooth one that looks very much like the outer skin on modern RVs. I can get a full 4x8 sheet of this stuff cheaper than sheet metal. I was thinking I could cut it to fit the window opening, attach aluminum angle to the edges so I can screw it or rivit it into place and use some urethane sealant to seal them in when I install them. Basically it would be a 'window replacement' that is flat, smooth, and very dent and warp resistant.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

hey jkindt, where did you get the FRP?
bus-bro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
hey jkindt, where did you get the FRP?
I found the samples at Home Depot. They have some textured panels in a few colors, and a totally smooth panel in white. They are typically used in home construction in shower stalls and such. The stuff I found has no UV protection, so I am going to have to prime and paint my panels to avoid UV degradation, but that is not really a problem, it will ensure that the paint matches the rest of my bus. I am going to do some more searching tomorrow, I find that if something is available at the orange shop, it is usually a bunch cheaper from some of the wholesale building suppliers at the other end of town.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Th@nks.
bus-bro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Both of the RV doors on my Class C are skinned in FRP (textured). The front door is an aftermarket remodel... age unknown and it is in pretty good shape. The rear door is original to the Class C (1977). It has tiny pin holes in it. I filled the tiny pinholes with caulking and painted the door. I would not use FRP to replace the windows. But then the rear door is over 30 years old. The 30 yo aluminum skin on the CLass C also has tiny pinholes... filled with paint. We are still debating on window replacement. I do know that I do not want to keep the glass as I would hate to have to tear out the wall covering (or the shower stall) in order to repair a broken window. David shot down the fiberglass coated plywood idea I had.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:36 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Why not use FRP? Bond it to a piece of plywood the same size as the window opening and make sure to paint the FRP. A good UV blocking paint over FRP would keep it from degrading due to UV exposure and it is strong, waterproof, and smooth. Mine have turned out great! I just need to prime them and seal them in the window holes. They will get painted when I do the whole bus. Best of all, it is a great cheap alternative, cost less than the price of an equivalent amount of 20 ga steel.