Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
Skoolie

windows

So i want to add a huge window in the center of the bus. Should i buy a large house window or are there rv window manufactureers that will make one to spec(cant seem to find any). and is it safe to use a large window, with the constant vibrations? is it realistic to add such a large window due to breakage, structural reasons, temp control, etc? has anyone ever seen an rv with a alrge window like this?

carneiro1292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Check around there are many rv sizes and manufacturers. The plus is they will all be automotive grade glass, unlike the house windows. Just judging from that sketch there is probably an off the shelf unit that you can buy without custom ordering. But google them and you'll see that there are plenty of custom window makers for rv stuff.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:32 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
There are tons of cheap, insulated RV windows on ebay. Don't use a household window unless you know it has tempered or laminated glass. It is much much cheaper to find a cheap deal on a premade window than have one custom built.
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:37 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
How big is big?

I have 4 foot tall by 5 foot wide windows in my bus.

Nothing wrong with house windows, a few of use here have used them without issues. House windows are also available with tempered glass, However it is Not Necessary.

Non tempered glass can be laminated with protective films on both the inside and outside of the glass. This prevents breakage and contains the broken pieces in a breakage.House windows can also be had with sound reduction glass, 4 panes of glass, various gasses between the glass, elevation pressure release tubes, ect.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
Skoolie

nat ster you wouldnt happen to have pictures of ur bus windows would u?
all i see on ebay are small rv windows, i need something on the scale of nat sters windows, 4ft by 5ft like pretty large
Old 11-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by carneiro1292 View Post
nat ster you wouldnt happen to have pictures of ur bus windows would u?
all i see on ebay are small rv windows, i need something on the scale of nat sters windows, 4ft by 5ft like pretty large
A 4 by 5 foot window is a big unit. I was able to fit mine due to the 23 inch roof raise.

Here is a picture before all panels were painted, trim, and rub rails are still need to be installed.

From this page of my build.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...e-10138-9.html

This page also has more info on the subject.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/sk...dows-9276.html

The other member that used House windows go's by the screen name "Ol Trunt".

You can sort through his posts in this link.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/search...earchid=234336

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 11-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #7
Skoolie

ur 4x5 window im assuming is the big one to right(front of bus)? the one i picture in my head would be around tht size but all one peice, so not a slider. any idea if tht woudl work on a skoolie, assuming id have to custom order it.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Why not a slider?

Every bit of air flow is nice.

They have sealed non opening units. They were $100 cheaper than a slider.

Nat

Old 11-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #9
Skoolie

just wanted a large uninterrupted view of nature, waking up every morning and having breakfast in front of this large window facing the ocean, mountains,forest,etc. seems so perfect.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
Skoolie

there will be plenty of other windows for air flow, but being that my floor plan is completey open with other windows, i can keep this one a one pace and still have plenty fresh air come from other points
Old 11-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #11
Skoolie

btw nat just spent my whole morning reading about ur build. good stuff man
Old 11-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
btw nat just spent my whole morning reading about ur build. good stuff man
Thx.

I haven't been able to work on it in a year due to where it was parked. I just moved it for the second time. Now I can work on it, but winter is here. I'm looking forward to getting back into it come spring. Rumor has it that I will be moving it again a hour to the west.

It does not move under it's own power at this time.

Nat

Old 11-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
RV's often have huge rear windows. Any junk yards near you?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #14
Skoolie

im building it in Lancaster,Ca so idk i have to check. are there in other pictures of peoples projects who used large windows. I wanted to use a large window instead of the two reg bus windows. So pull out two and replace it with one bigger one and do that all around the bus.
also i hate the idea of having to lean over to see outside, what are the dangerous, if any, of raising the window up by a foot towards the roof.
also pictures r worth a thousand words right? so if u got any please share, Thx
Old 12-15-2015, 06:01 PM   #15

Quote:
also i hate the idea of having to lean over to see outside, what are the dangerous, if any, of raising the window up by a foot towards the roof.
also pictures r worth a thousand words right?
Most bus builds I see on this site lift the roof to prevent having to sit down to see out the window.

Wowman
Wowman$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:49 PM   #16
Skoolie

i know im trying to avoid tht, not because of the work involved but because my experience with tht type of stuff in completely non existent.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Are the windows for the bus you mentioned there, which you're driving from Wisconsin to LA? If you're going by way of Salt Lake City and want to pick up a few extra-big factory windows on the way through, let me know. My bus is a Blue Bird, but not a school bus, and it has (had) windows that stretch across twice the width of the school bus windows. They have single pane glass tinted kind of a grey-bronze color and slide horizontally to open about 6 inches at each end. You can see them on my bus on the first page of my build thread.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote