Old 01-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliol View Post
Selfdetermined, I have that question myself, by driving a bus that is registered as RV, do you have to stop at a weigh stations?

J
I believe that's state-dependent. I think many exempt non-commercial vehicles. Some do not provide such an exemption. Granted, I'm no lawyer, and I can't find the statutes right now.
selfdetermined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
As a company, we've driven about 40 buses back from the various places we've bought them across the country and have never, not once, had an issue with the law, been pulled over, or stopped at weigh stations.
Im sure some part of that is luck, but school buses are a special kind of camo
The more it looks like it's still in service, the less likely you'll raise eyebrows, but the more likely you'll be in trouble if someone pulled you over.
Id say--read the cdl manual to know how to operate it safely, get insurance, make sure all the lights are good and then drive that SOB legally and responsibly home--I've never heard of anyone who's gotten in trouble on the way home
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

You can't get insurance (at least not insurance that'll actually pay out) for a vehicle you're planning on driving illegally. Driving a CMV without a CDL is illegal. Period. There's no "driving that SOB legally". There's driving it responsibly, and safely but not legally.

Now, all that said, I agree - I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble. And I've never seen a school bus pulled over. But just because the risk is (relatively) low, doesn't mean the act is any less illegal or the punishment will be any less severe should you get nailed with something. To each their own. Know the decision you're making, and accept the outcome.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:43 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Chevrolet G30
Engine: 6.2 Detroit
Rated Cap: 7+2
See, for me, Texas does not have these restrictions. It is a one ton van on the title, and it is commercial due to coding in its vin number. I will not convert it to an RV, and it is under the passenger limit no matter how it is configured for being a passenger transport vehicle that requires a CDL. I just needed a rolling lounge.
All in all, Minnesota sounds like it is off my list of places I need to see. Way too complicated for me. Glad it is not between me and Alaska!
Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdetermined View Post
You can't get insurance (at least not insurance that'll actually pay out) for a vehicle you're planning on driving illegally. Driving a CMV without a CDL is illegal. Period. There's no "driving that SOB legally". There's driving it responsibly, and safely but not legally.

Now, all that said, I agree - I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble. And I've never seen a school bus pulled over. But just because the risk is (relatively) low, doesn't mean the act is any less illegal or the punishment will be any less severe should you get nailed with something. To each their own. Know the decision you're making, and accept the outcome.
I agree entirely! And by legally, I meant, "Obey all moving-traffic laws".
If you don't have a CDL, and its over 26k, etc, you can't drive it legally in that way.
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: E350
Engine: Ford 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 16
My local used car dealer/body shop owner lent me a dealer plate and we are pretending this vehicle is on it's way to the conversion center, which it is. I am meerly an ignorant driver, and I know that is no excuse. All the School bus signs will be painted or taped over, but there still are school bus paraphanalia all over this rig. stop sign, front bumper kid blocker, red lights up top in front. and seats. Perhaps I will strip this rig before I head home. and Paint a large RV-IN TRANSIT- It will be registered as an RV as soon as I get home, and again, the DOT lady said just go in and say that is what it is. No problem. It might depend on who comes to help you at the counter. Thanks for all the input, I am not going to get licensed. This bus was called a 19 passenger, but I cannot figure out how they came up with that. As far as I can tell the bus part is only 10 X8, a mini bus.
Dragrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Chevrolet G30
Engine: 6.2 Detroit
Rated Cap: 7+2
Dragrace, Mine is about that big, and it is called a 7 + 2 because of the wheelchair ramp. I guess it depends upon how many kids you shove in the seats.
Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Godspeed Dragrace. I'm sure you'll be just fine. Looking forward to seeing your conversion pics!
Old 01-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #39
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
I drove my 59 seater back from Augusta, ga painted yellow without a issue. I drove around SC without an issue. I've now painted it (mostly) grey so that it's more clearly MY bus.

When I registered it with the DMV they registered it at 24,000lbs so that I wouldn't need a CDL to drive it.

Having driven it a bit, the highways are easier because they're wider. Town driving has always been my least favorite activity but with the length of this bus, I would be in worry mode. I've driven it on country roads and because they're narrow, it's qute scary. I've found it's a case of concentrating on the road 150 yards ahead.

SC drivers are SCARY... I was indicating to turn left (and I KNOW my indicators work - I checked them) and some turkey - just as I was starting my turn shot past me on the left and on a narrow country lane.
Zephod_beeblebrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote