Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2017, 09:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

1 coat of Corroseal down. Should I do another???

Looks great like it is, but what does the skoolie community think?

1st pic is after Corroseal dried
2nd pic is after fresh application of Corroseal
Third pic is pre-corroseal
Attached Thumbnails
20170427_185647_Burst01.jpg   20170427_155623.jpg   20170425_154425.jpg  

mjfreespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:15 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800 7.3L
Looks great! I was just about to Corroseal mine today, but the wife had other plans on the to-do list. I have a wedding tomorrow and Saturday so it looks like Sunday for me. I spent 5 hours angle grinding 95% of the rust off, so hopefully it still turns out okay. I'll post pictures of mine too.

If you have enough, I'd go ahead and put another coat on. Won't hurt. I'm going to put a couple of coats on myself.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:20 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Looks like Ospho. How much is that stuff?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
Almost There

I bought mine from Home Depot for $54 for a gallon.

Corroseal 1 gal. Rust Converter Primer-82331 - The Home Depot

Hopefully it sticks to my floor now that I've gone a bit overboard on the grinding. It says it needs rust to convert but I'm sure there is enough in the pitted areas that it should work well.

mjfreespirit - Did you just clean and apply or did you remove rust, paint, and glue like I did as well?

https://youtu.be/-3H5zamRJwQ
Old 04-27-2017, 10:37 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Looks like Ospho. How much is that stuff?
It's actually a product called Corroseal. Smells like Elmers Glue. I bought a gallon of it from Rodda Paint. You Can find a local retailer at their website

Here is a link to the product website. I'm not promoting this stuff. It just works amazingly without the stink.

Corroseal Rust Converter | Metal Primer | Rust Paint
Old 04-27-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I bought mine from Home Depot for $54 for a gallon.

Corroseal 1 gal. Rust Converter Primer-82331 - The Home Depot

Hopefully it sticks to my floor now that I've gone a bit overboard on the grinding. It says it needs rust to convert but I'm sure there is enough in the pitted areas that it should work well.

mjfreespirit - Did you just clean and apply or did you remove rust, paint, and glue like I did as well?

https://youtu.be/-3H5zamRJwQ
I grinded all loose rust off and nails, ended up cleaning it with Awesome and CLR by hand then applying Corroseal. Yes, it does need rust to work properly. I left all the hard rust. My husband was going to grind all the rust off but i told him why to not do that!

On the grinder, battery grinders are definitely a no-no. When I was taking out the seats I went through a battery charge in 20 minutes of grinding.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:48 PM   #7
Almost There

Yikes, I think it may be overkill then to Corroseal mine at this point. It looks so smooth with a few bumpy areas that has rust poking at it. Hmm. I think I'll go ahead and do it anyway as a safe measure. I probably could have shaved off a couple of hours grinding and just left some rust on there to be converted. Anyway, I'll post mine in a few days and we can compare results.

For others interested, here's a YouTube clip of someone doing it on their Skoolie. Go to the 1:30 mark to save some time.

https://youtu.be/lc1Pc-1DLf0?t=1m32s
Old 04-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Yikes, I think it may be overkill then to Corroseal mine at this point. It looks so smooth with a few bumpy areas that has rust poking at it. Hmm. I think I'll go ahead and do it anyway as a safe measure. I probably could have shaved off a couple of hours grinding and just left some rust on there to be converted. Anyway, I'll post mine in a few days and we can compare results.

For others interested, here's a YouTube clip of someone doing it on their Skoolie. Go to the 1:30 mark to save some time.

https://youtu.be/lc1Pc-1DLf0?t=1m32s
I say if you bought it, use it. It protects as well as converts
Old 04-27-2017, 11:01 PM   #9
Almost There

It's still new in the package from Home Depot though and I could get $54 back lol. Does it stick well to the floor that doesn't have rust? or will it peel up or not stick? The majority of the floor is smooth I'd say 80% is good. If I keep it, do you think it would be best to just spot treat or do it all anyway?
Old 04-27-2017, 11:50 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
It's still new in the package from Home Depot though and I could get $54 back lol. Does it stick well to the floor that doesn't have rust? or will it peel up or not stick? The majority of the floor is smooth I'd say 80% is good. If I keep it, do you think it would be best to just spot treat or do it all anyway?
Look at my pictures above. The first picture is after I did application of Corroseal. Darker parts are where rust was, lighter parts waa where no rust was. It did stay on the metal. It IS a primer/converter after all.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:09 AM   #11
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Comparative Study of Commercially Available Rust Converters

Interesting article from our National Park Service about a scientific approach to these rust-converter treatments. Explains chemistry nicely.

Comparative Study of Commercially Available Rust Converters

...can't wait for the punchline, tho.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote