Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #301
Bus Geek

Re: 1935 Chevy school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
Hey Bansil--got you. The answer is yes and no. The material will fold to the inside when the pop up is closed and it will have to be held out of the way mechanically. As to walking clearance with the top closed it should be the same as if I had'nt done the pop up--about 5' 7" which is fine for wifey but NSG for 6' me.
I'm going to guess that installing a comfy lazyboy in drivers area,and having her wait on you is out of the question?

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #302
Bus Nut

ol trunt........ ? Read your post on the other thread but rather than hijack it I thought it best to post here....

The waste tanks do not have to go under the bus........ If you can find a kinda flat tank for use as your black tank you can build a pedestal over the tank and put your toilet over it.....
same for your grey tank from the kitchen put it under the sink. Tanks inside the bus will not be exposed to the extreme temps like the ones under the bus. That only leaves the shower/ bath sink to go under the bus..... which you can keep drained most of the time.....

I'm just thinking out loud again.....
Old 11-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #303
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Hey Greyeagle, I agree with what you just proposed---except I can't remember having ever said anywhere that the tanks had to go under the bus Could you check the other thread--I'd be curious to know what and where. Thanks, Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #304
Bus Nut

Quote:
Hey Greyeagle, I agree with what you just proposed---except I can't remember having ever said anywhere that the tanks had to go under the bus Could you check the other thread--I'd be curious to know what and where. Thanks, Jack
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25208
Today I covered the rear of the bus with flooring. Went to see "Battleship" with my Mother, which was fun in a mindless entertainment sort of way. Ate dinner with her, then came home and crawled under the bus to contemplate where the hell I'm going to put my waste tank for the umpteenth time. Gave up and came inside to put together the video below.

You didn't say they HAD to go under........ You just said you where laying under the bus trying to figure out where they could go......

Me. I 'm just thinking out loud.....
Old 11-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #305
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
Quote:
Today I covered the rear of the bus with flooring. Went to see "Battleship" with my Mother, which was fun in a mindless entertainment sort of way. Ate dinner with her, then came home and crawled under the bus to contemplate where the hell I'm going to put my waste tank for the umpteenth time. Gave up and came inside to put together the video below.

You didn't say they HAD to go under........ You just said you where laying under the bus trying to figure out where they could go......

You silly Skoolie...that was tygercubs post he linked to
Old 11-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #306
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
Quote:

You silly Skoolie...that was tygercubs post he linked to
Negative!!!! young man ........ It was

Wall outline , is there a easy way
by Six Four » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:43 pm Better get ur poop together b4 you try to fool this old fool.....
Old 11-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #307
Bus Geek

Yhanks GE. I thought I'd completely lost touch with reality (well I have or I wouldn't have a SKOOLIE). As you can see, I know just enough about computers to cause a stir Jack
Old 11-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #308
Bus Geek

Oh poopie shorts... ..me so confused.....
Old 11-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #309
Bus Geek

Hello All, Jeff and Kathy Gean, owners of Bobs Tow here in Oxnard continue to allow me to use their facility as my personal play pen while I work on my bus. I try to return the favor as best I can and to stay out from under foot. I shift from a paved outdoor storage area to inside the building depending on tow rotations etc. Since the top on my bus is now weather tight I decided to dry in the windows and doors so that the winter rains don't soak the inside and I'll be able to work in the rain. You will probably laugh when you see the pics of how I went about it--but it works.

of
Old 11-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #310
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Hey Jack --- Maybe I missed something earlier (been busy) but are you routing the exhaust for the vent hood out the top of a window? I've been looking at doing the same to avoid any more roof penetrations.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #311
Bus Geek

Tango,I think the last pic' is an upside down one,that has exhaust out a window...cool and smooth...007 style
Old 11-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #312
Bus Geek

Excellent. I have been looking at ways to rig a flap to keep backdrafts and unwelcome guests out when the fan isn't running. Shouldn't be hard to fab something that relies on gravity but will swing out under the pressure of the fan. Maybe even a small tab to lock it closed over the road. Any thoughts along those lines?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #313
Bus Geek

Hey Tango, Bansil has it right-- the pic is an upside down view. I'm going to use a piece of filter mesh material at the end of the final exhaust to keep critters out. The whole exhaust vent hides behind the window eyebrow so doesn't show.

Since the original filter in the hood slides out easily for washing, I'll just cut a piece of left over pop up plastic to insert in place of the filter to stop drafts when the fan is not in use. There is a recess in the top of the hood which will work for storage of either the filter or the plug. Today I fabed up the roof mounts and welded them to the inner roof so the hood install should be pretty easy.

So how did the Crawl go--I hpoe it was a big success! Jack
Old 11-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #314
Bus Geek

Anxious to see your installation so I can steal some good ideas. I finally figured out stealing bad ideas was a losing proposition.

And the ArtCrawl kicked a$$! Good crowd who bought tons of art. And I had a music group here called "The Free Radicals"..young guys that were just outstanding. Great jazz with some Latin funk thrown in. Also brought in an old friend named Harry Shepperd to play vibes with them who is a living legend. 85 years old and the twenty somethings couldn't keep up with him. His first big gig was with the Benny Goodman Orchestra and he has played or recorded with every big name in music from Billie Holiday to Sinatra to Willie Nelson. One amazing SOB...he's one of my real life heroes. I will try and post some pix from the event in the next few days and will put a link up.

Meanwhile...keep up the good work...and the pix.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #315
Bus Geek

Hello All. Most of my work time on the bus this week was spent repairing rust damage on the inner roof panels. I also built the internal structure in the roof that will support the overhead cabinets and the range hood. I want to be able to construct the overhead cabinets outside of the bus and then bolt them in as a unit using the threaded brackets now built into the inner roof.

The only other progress was the trial fitting of the repaired panels and the range hood.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #316
Bus Geek

Hey Jack --- Nice fit on the vent hood. Did it begin life as an RV model? And it looks like your rig is spread around the shop in about as many pieces as mine. Kinda' scary, ain't it? I'm just hoping I can remember where all the bits & pieces go when it comes time to put things back together.

BTW...I can't recall what your powering your rig with. Where are you as far as the engine and running gear?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #317
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
I'm just hoping I can remember where all the bits & pieces go when it comes time to put things back together.
I was looking through the misc. bits and pieces i took off mine and two trim pieces were a total mystery as to where they'd come from. I have no memory of them at all.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #318
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Quote:
I have no memory of them at all.
In my case it could possibly something left over from a loooooong time ago, and not even from a bus
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #319
Bus Geek

I have two techniques I use to help me remember what stuff is. The first is to leave the parts all over the shop floor so that I'll be reminded of them every time I stumble over them. The second (my favorite) is to force fit any part I no longer recognize thereby not having to admit that I no longer can remember anything

The range hood came fron a S&S 5 th wheel I tore apart a couple of years ago.

In an effort to keep my bus all Chevy (I cant remember why anymore) I chose the Chevy W3500 COE as the donner for the frame and drive line. Truth be told the W3500 is just a rebadged Isuzu NPR (so much for all Chevy, Ha) It is a 5.2 l 4 cyl turbo/intercooled diesel with a 4 speed OD automatic. The rig is drivable at this point although it doesn't have any front sheet metal. Sure is fun to hear it rattle to life!

Rather than do a new post I decided to edit this one and add the day's activity.

Some time last year a Skoolie posed a question about removing the inner rear wheel wells. He posted pics of the cut out wells and from those pics recieved many words of caution because the top of the tires were flush with the floor. I can't remember who it was but I do remember that he covered over the openings (flat) anyway. I never heard any more about it so either it worked or his rear axle is wound up in the floor and he hasn't been able to drive home--anyone else have an update on this?

Not to be out done (and from the do as I say not as I do file), I hacked the rear wheel wells out of my SKOOLIE today. I measured the maximum upward axle travel (2 3/4"). I also measured the maximim travel of a fully extended shock and the height of the outer tandem tire and used these to make a mock-up of the rear axle. I raised one side of the mock-up to simulate full compression of the spring and lowered the other side to simulate the full downward travel of the shock on the other side. The only time I can see this happening in real life would be if I drove up a steep drive aprin at an angle--like driving in to buy fuel. Under these extreme conditions the maximum rise of the outer rear tandem was only 3".

With that information to consider, I made my cuts to provide 4" of clearance for the outer tire. I've yet to weld things up and would like your comments before I do.

If all this works out it provides me with a location for two 40 gal water tanks inside the bus--I seem to have used up all the under bus space.

[b] Here is the cut I made. I plan to weld in a flat cover and the vertical portion from the original well to support the exterior fender. [b/]
Old 11-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #320
Bus Geek

Hey Jack --- yours is a very different set up than mine. My 37" tall rear duallies poke through the floor a good three inches and I can't picture being able to recover any space cutting the wells down. And I just happened to have spent the day today working on mine. Scraped, wire wheeled & sanded till I was whipped but at least one of them is mostly down to bare metal now. What a chore. Seems they randomly applied asphalt to them then painted over it.

Speaking of which...

There was a discussion a while back about removing old tar & asphalt sound deadener/rust proofing from floors wheel wells and the like and I just found a pretty good method. I used a twisted wire wheel on the heavy stuff and a rust & paint removing "Quick-Strip" disk on my 4-1/2" grinder to get the rest. They got the bulk of it but left a thin film of the melted asphalt stuff all over. And since paint won't bond to it very well, I took a chance and sprayed it down with some Gasket Remover I had handy...worked like a champ! Dissolved every trace of what was left and I wiped it off with a rag to very clean metal. Appears to melt the tar-like stuff very well. I am using a rust converter on just about every metal part to try and keep what's left and the Gasket sealer cleaned it up so well I can now apply the converter directly to the metal.

And your engine/driveline sounds excellent. Those Isuzus have a great rep and are rumored to routinely go 750K with no sweat. I often think I should have just transplanted my bus body onto a newer chassis like you did. I'd be a lot further along with a lot fewer concerns and things to do.