Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #381
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: 1935 Chevy school bus

Damn! I never would have seen that coming.

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #382
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

A good lesson for all of us. I know many here (including us) work too long after they have gotten too tired, or too cold/too hot and/or in poor lighting. We all need to be more careful.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #383
Skoolie

That sucks. Just think of those good hours you will never get back to work on your Skoolie!

In all seriousness hope your hand heals quickly.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #384
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Hey Jack --- hard to second guess a failure like that. But lemme' guess...a Chinese screwdriver by any chance?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #385
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Ha, I've no clue but if I had to guess it would be China --or India maybe. Oh well, it was a found tool so at least I didn't have to pay "ta takes me chances"! I'll be as good as new in a couple of days--no cast, no crutches no biggie. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #386
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

We must suffer for our art.

I don't feel right if I'm not bleeding while working on vehicles. When my little niece comes over the first thing she does is count the bashes, slashes and scrapes on my hands.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #387
Bus Nut

Year: 1979
Engine: 8 cyl gas
Rated Cap: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
A good lesson for all of us. I know many here (including us) work too long after they have gotten too tired, or too cold/too hot and/or in poor lighting. We all need to be more careful.
Or in my case think I'm stronger than the chemicals I'm using and I don't need the proper equipment.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #388
Bus Geek

Hello All, I spent so much time looking up the spelling of "chamfer" that I timed out and had to start over!!!!! I hate that!!!! I got a little more done on my door today. I doug out my chop saw and cut the pole which supports and rotates the door as it was way too long. I'll weld it back together once I determine what the right length is. I'll CHAMFER the edges of the mating surfaces and fill the CHAMFER with weld. I'll also press a piece of cold rolled steel into the void in the center of the pole for added support. Since the filler is just a bit larger in diameter than the void I'll freeze the rod just before pressing it into the pole as the cold seems to shrink the metal just enough to make it easily fit into the recieving part (pole).

I got as far as building the brackets for the pneumatic drive and doing a test fit. So far I am quite encouraged as the real deal matches the drawing and the model.. The proof of the pudding will come when I test fit the door. Way too late and way too cold to do that today sooooo. Too much fun .

[b] From left to right: lower bracket, upper bracket, steel rod, cut off lower pole, cut off upper pole with bearing (the thing that looks like a spool of grey thread).[b/]

[b] Test fit of pneumatic motor, lower arm and elbow. [b/]
Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #389
Bus Geek

As always Jack --- Very Chlever, Very Chool & Very Nice Chamfers BTW!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #390
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
As always Jack --- Very Chlever, Very Chool & Very Nice Chamfers BTW!
Yea, well whats a Chamfers?????? I learn something ever time i log in here.......
Old 01-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #391
Bus Geek

Way to go B1K! I couldn't have said it better myself and here you go on your eighth post scooping the rest of us--just goes to show that even a newbee can be a know-it-all just like the rest of us!

GE, I'm sure someone else will be able to give you a less technical and more useable definition--if not I'll try to. Jack
Old 01-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #392
Bus Nut

Now, I really am confused!!!! I won't be able to sleep tonight...

I have heard of it, but sure don't remember what it is/was....????????
Old 01-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #393
Bus Geek

B1K, I know that but I just couldn't help myself--it was such a perfect set-up

Hello All, the word chamfer in a word means bevel. It is interesting to note that the use of word "bevel" is owed to Dr. Otis D. Ornothologist who, when not studing birds was an avid wood worker. The story has it that while Dr. Ornathologist was studing how Bevel Headed Woodpeckers stuff acorns in the holes they have pecked that the edges of the holes were tapered which seemed to allow the acorn to easily lodge in the hole. Dr. Ornathologist quickley understood that if he did the same thing to the edge of the holes he drilled for the placement of dowels it would help keep the wood from spliting when he pounded in the dowels. Dr. Ornathologist promptly published an atricle in "Birds and Blooms" and coined the phrase "bevel edged". Years later the term bevel edged was supplanted by the word chamfer which is still in use today.

Since I'm working with chamfers today I should quit BS-ing and get some work done. I'll post a pic of where I used the chamfer. Jack
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #394
Bus Nut

Note to self.........
Don't ask any more dumbass questions... you'll only get more confused..

For my own sanity I looked it up myself....... Dr. Dolittle says :A chamfer is a beveled edge connecting two surfaces. If the surfaces are at right angles, the chamfer will typically be symmetrical at 45 degrees. A fillet is the rounding off of an interior corner. A rounding of an exterior corner is called a "round"[1] or a "radius".
"Chamfer" is a term commonly used in mechanical and manufacturing engineering. Special tools such as chamfer mills and chamfer planes are available. In tile work, or furniture such as counters or table tops, an edge or arris that has been eased by rounding instead of chamfering is called a bullnose. Where a chamfer does not go to the end of the piece, but "lifts out" in a smooth curve, the end is called a lark's tongue.
An example of chamfering is part of the process of hand-crafting a parabolic glass telescope mirror. Before the surface of the disc can be ground, the edges must first be chamfered to prevent chipping. This can be accomplished by placing the disc in a metal bowl containing silicon carbide and rotating the disc with a rocking motion. The grit will thus wear off the sharp edge of the glass.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #395
Bus Geek

GE, There are no dumbass questions, just a bunch of dumbasses making up answers and having a little fun -- and we all know Dr. Doolittle wouldn't lie! Jack
Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #396
Bus Geek

Hello All, Just a quick update on the parallelogram plug door. I got the
Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #397
Bus Geek

Now that is slick, Slick! Can't wait to see how it all fits & seals up. One of my biggest concerns on my door build is wind noise and I won't know until I can hit 65 in it unless I can book some time in the NASA wind tunnel down the road.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #398
Bus Geek

Hello All, I I finished the upper bracket for the pole. I used a pair of small trailer wheel bearings at the top of the pole. The ID and OD of the bearings exactly matched the pole and the pair only cost $3.50! After I got the final install of the pole done I climbed out on the end of the elbow and rotated the pole back and forth to check for unwanted movement (its that sort of thing that has gotten me into trouble all my life--but thats what health insurance is for right?) Anyway no problems with the pole dance so I am stoked!

Because of this and that I'll need to get the passenger seat figured out before I try to install the air compressor and air tank for the door (and the door as well). The seat needs to slide front to back and left to right to allow room to get around the door hardware etc. Too much fun! Jack
Old 01-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #399
Bus Geek

Of course you do understand that we fully expect to see a YouTube video of your pole dance Jack.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #400
Bus Geek

NO NO Tango-- you don't understand. I don't do the dance--with my height and long arms I serve as the pole! Way better Jack