Old 09-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #221
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Re: 1935 Chevy school bus

I put the bus in the sunshine bay this AM to help cure the grey primer. At 11:00 AM I climbed the ladder to begin the finish work on the rear pop out only to burn both forearms on the hot steel. That did it. I decided to do a brief study of temps on different parts of the bus body. I borrowed a Raytec brand digital point and read thermometer and took a few readings. All were taken at a distance of 20 inches and with the sun directly behind me. All the panels were located in the same plane relative to the sun (except those measured as a baseline in the shade). Multiple measurements were made at each location--although the temp readings never varied more than a degree one way or the other. The locations I measured included the new rear pop out, the steel portion of the original pop up. the polycal plastic portion of the pop up and the original body of the bus. This is what I found:

Original blue body;

outside shade 77 degrees
inside shade 77 degrees (no insulation, full open air flow)

New rear pop out;

outside sun 112 degrees (ouch)
inside/1" R-
Tech Insul
Foam 88 degrees

White steel pop up;

outside sun 88 degrees
inside sun 88 degrees

white polygal plastic;

outside sun 85 degrees
inside sun 83 degrees

Just for fun I measured the roof temp of my buddies great looking flat black rat rod----158 degrees! Guess I won't be using that color

Sorry about the chart format--I tried several times to get a regular table to print but despite what I asked to be done the only thing that would print is what you see Oh well.

I can't help but wonder what glass spheres would add--anyone want to donate some? Ha!
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #222
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Hey Jack --- the paint additive from Hy-Tech is pretty remarkable stuff. Would love to see a test using your sensor. The only test I ran (which convinced me to buy some) was to put my hand on the inside of a galvanized tin roof in August here in Houston. It was a good solid 100 degrees outside but the inside of that roof, which had a single brushed & rolled coat of cheap latex with the beads added was almost cool to the touch. Felt like maybe 76 degrees? I am definitely using it not only on my roof, but on the inside of the hood,firewall and outer panels as well before I close them in.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #223
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Great job on the bathroom roof bump-out. Two questions - How will you weather seal the edges of the new sheet metal? and how far is the bathroom unit sunk into the floor?

Inquiring minds want to know!!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #224
Bus Crazy

Hey Roach, Once I finished welding the various edges I just used "Kitty Hair" stuffed into the crack and then a layer of Bondo over that to smooth things out. Since the bump out and the bus roof are very ridgid and welded together I don't expect enough movement to crack the filler but I'll keep an eye on it.

I dropped the bathroom floor 7" which is a standard stair case step rise. I tried it out and decided that even if I missed the step I still wouldn't fall---there isin't enough room
Old 09-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #225
Bus Crazy

Hey All, I finished up the body work on the rear pop out and got it into primer. I won't do more on it until I'm ready to do the paint job.

I hauled the generator lump to the bus (150 # seems like a lot when you lift it into the bed of a PU--I'll be paying for that Ha!) I cleaned up the hole I had cut in the floor and removed some of the covers on the genny as well as its gas tank. Next I set the genny on a floor jack and raised it into the hole in the floor. Once I got the genny about where I wanted it I suspended it by its handles and removed the jack. Now I'll study where the air flow goes when its running and start to design an enclosure.

The genny is one of the quiet ones but I hope to make it even more quiet. Based on what I've seen on u-tube that may or may not be possible Anyway, it will be fun trying. I plan to measure the noise output as I go along---we'll see what happens.

[b] Genny on the jack[b/]

[b] Top view of genny (without gas tank)[b/]
Old 09-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #226
Bus Geek

Lookin' Good Still! --- I'm hanging my Gennie on my extended rear bumper. Ran out of space underneath, but I have the same issue. Where to direct the exhaust so's I don't die in my sleep! Will have to open it up and see if I can add a little to the exhaust without compromising the quiet. Hoping to run it up a stack or beyond the rear bumper. Keep the pix coming...I love watching you work and stealing ideas! But...please take note that I learned long ago to only steal great ideas.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #227
Bus Crazy

if ya want the genset to run a long time ya just have remote gas tank w/ fuel pump..
low pressure
type
i would have gen set as far away from bed as possible..
but on a short bus that aint being too far...
Old 09-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #228
Bus Crazy

NBY, That is a good idea and it would work way more easily than what I have planned. Part of my project design calls for an onboard "silent" generator so quiet that you would never notice it. I spent many enjoyable hours learning about noise and noise control and I'd like to give what I learned a try ---of course I hedged my bet by getting one of the super quiet gennys as a start. I expect that it will be a couple of weeks before I have any noise measurements but when I do I'll share them- good, bad or indifferent. Thanks for the suggestion. Jack
Old 09-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #229
Bus Crazy

Slow work takes time and man has this been slow! Last pics posted were of my genny being located in the cut out in the RH floor of my bus. Since that time I have built a storage bin with a slide out box which will contain the genny. I framed both items with angle iron and skinned them with 22 gauge steel plate. I found two pairs of heavy duty double extend drawer slides at the Re-Store for $1 each. I would have liked to have found four alike as the seemingly minor differences cost me a days work making adjustments etc. The first style was easily taken apart to allow for fabrication but the second style spit out all its bb s when it came apart and was a royal pita to re assemble. I needed a "trial run" with the assembly but didn't want to risk dropping the genny so with 20bus/steering%20column%20and%20brakes/155_zps5873d9c1.jpg[/img][b/]
Old 09-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #230
Bus Geek

Sweet Jack! --- and the springs should really isolate any vibes. Good thinking. Mine will just have to sit on the "back porch" but I may well steal the spring idea from ya. Only question being...where the hell do you find a "Pinto" these days!? I thought they had all exploded long ago.