Old 09-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #241
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
Re: 1935 Chevy school bus

Just a few thoughts to you that are mounting gennys. I had a Yamaha quiet unit mounted inside of a box on my semi. I had a box that had two chambers, The front one was open to the bottom for air intake with a fan mounted in the dividing wall for air movement that would run when gen was running. Air outlet was a hooded grill on the other end. Genney was strapped down inside. Exhaust just went out into the chamber and was exhausted by fan. I had a trapdoor in the top for refueling. It never overheated and inside the truck you couldn't tell it was running. I spliced into the original wiring for remote start. I did have a problem with it always being flooded when I wanted to start it. I contacted Yamaha and they said you have to use the fuel shut off, otherwise the vibration going down the road would let fuel past the needle and seat. Kinda defeated the remote start. All worked well until the FIRE. It seems that it had developed a gas leak somewhere inside of the housing of the genny, which was inside of the box that I had it in. To make a long story short, I got burned, the truck next to me got burned,my load and truck didn't. Genny went into trash at that truckstop. BE VERY CAREFUL with gennys that aren't made to be mounted in/on moving vehicles.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #242
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Hey Somewhere --- good info...thank you. I've also been told to always use the gas shutoff, even when it is stationary. Hadn't even thought about it in connection with a remote start system. And I can see how a bouncing float could easily cause problems. Thanks again.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #243
Bus Geek

Hey Jack --- what's the latest? I don't know about you, but I'm down to only visiting my project once or twice a week here lately. Damned State Lottery failed to come through again so I'm stuck with having to actually EARN the money necessary to keep this moving ahead. Seems to me that Bus Building expenses for "retirees" should be a legitimate "entitlement".
Old 09-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #244
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Seems to me that Bus Building expenses for "retirees" should be a legitimate "entitlement".
I'd go for that!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #245
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Yup, that would be my platform were I to run for Pres!
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #246
Bus Geek

You have my vote. I'll take that platform over anything Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum have proposed so far.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #247
Bus Crazy

Tango and Somewhere, I found a genuine Chinese 4.5# fuel pump on Epay and gave it a test. I removed the carb from my Yamaha 3K genny, mounted it to a rock tumbler to simulare road vibration and pumped mineral spirits to it with the elect pump just to see what would happen. The float and needle worked fine over the 1 1/2 hour test run. I did manage to get the float to stick open by laying the carb on its side at a 60 degree angle (while bowl was empty) and started the fuel pump. This resulted in fuel overflow out the overflow tube at the top of the float bowl which did not correct itself when the carb was placed back in the upright position. Angles less than 60 degrees did not produce float stick. Needless to say, I'll provide a direct route out of the genny box for the overflow tube to pass through as well as a shut off valve easily accessable from the inside of the bus. Also, I will not use the original gas tank but will mount an 8 gal. one (spare from my Morris Minor TOAD) somewhere under the bus. I have installed a sail switch in the blower and a couple of thermal switches in the genny box to identify any potential overheating problems in the box. Either will shut the geny down and sound an alarm. Once again--Ya pays Ya money and Ya takes Ya chances!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #248
Bus Crazy

Hello all, I finally got the genny box completed and installed and tested. The thing seems to work OK and after a couple of hours running full tilt the bus refused to catch fire.

I made temp measurements each quarter hour of the test of exhaust temp, muffler temp, entering/exiting air cooling temps, box temps and oil temp. I then compared them to the test results I had obtained on the original Yamaha 3K genny some time ago. You're lucky hat I can't figure out how to make chart or graph work here on SKOOLIE or this would be even more long winded .

In a nutshell this is what I found:

Little to no change in exhaust gas temp

31% increase in air cooling exhaust (131/174)

42% increase in oil temp (140/200)

I'd consider the results to be at the upper end of where I'd want to see them and I'll consider a pulling fan on the air exhaust to help things along. I'm Ok with the oil temp up to 240 degrees but I sure don't want to cook the computer!

I'll post again in a fw minutes as my lap top is saying bad things about it's charge.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #249
Bus Crazy

Hey all, Just a few pics and a comment on genny noise. As best I can tell, the only way to quiet a genny is to enclose it in high mass material. Lead seems to be the best but has a few drawbacks. Tar patches (like Dynamat) are pretty good for the base (high energy noise) and closed cell foam seems to work best for high frequency sound attenuation. Other high mass materials work pretty well as well (eg. gym floor mats made of ground rubber). You can make your own Dynamat like material from roofers roll patch material ($1/sq ft rather than $8/sq ft with Dynamat). The roofers material sold at Home Depot is sticky on both sides so can be applied to most firm surfaces. Once applied the upper sticky surface can be covered with aluminum foil and your done.

With a couple of layers of tar patches and 1 1/2 " of gym mat in and arround the genny box things are pretty quiet with the genny running full blast. When I get back to work on the bus I'll measure the sound levels and share them here. Right now the genny seems quiter than
Old 10-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #250
Bus Geek

Hey Jack --- Mighty snazzy slide out! Nice work as always and I like the home brewed Dynamat. What is the foil it's all wrapped in, something self adhesive? I'm nearing the insulation point myself in a few areas and find the factory stuff waaayyy overpriced. And I gave away a 36" wide, 300# roll of lead sheeting when I sold my Blue Bird. Still the best sound deadener, but needs to be totally sealed in to avoid the toxicity issues. The barium loaded vinyl & foam works great, but the price has quadrupled since I last bought any.

Keep the pix a'comin'!