Old 10-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #251
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Re: 1935 Chevy school bus

Hey Tango, not sure if you saw all 3 of todays posts? The foil is plain old kitchen foil and needs no glue to stick to the tar stuff which is sticky on both sides. Du Pont "77" spray glue applied to both the item and the foil gives a permanent bond when sticking the foil to other than the tar patches. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #252
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Sounds good. Haft'a wonder if the "tar" on the roof stuff is as flammable as the 65+ year old asphalt they coated much of the inner metal on my bus with. It flames off every time I weld anywhere near the stuff. And...it is a royal PITA to try and remove. Had my best results using a twisted wire wheel on my 4.5" grinder. Tough stuff, but it definitely helped keep the rust down anywhere they put it on.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #253
Bus Crazy

Hey Tango, Flamable? Yup, and so is Dynamat. The foil helps by reflection but you don't use it where it gets hot enough to melt and with the temps I measured inside the box I should be OK. Thanks for thr thought. Jack
Old 10-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #254
Bus Crazy

Thanks Chuck, I've been to Poplar Bluff a million years ago--painted a relatives '52 Chevy over my two day stay. A pretty place though. I spent most of today sitting in my bus thinking about just how to proceed with the slide out. If this then--oh no, not that etc. etc. Lots a fun!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #255
Skoolie

I've following your conversion with great interest, because you posted solutions for some problems in a different than the usual way. About the generator, I would put a small fan to draw fresh air in and an appropiately sized exit hole on an oppsite wall. A 40% uprise in oil temp can't be a good thing. Keep in mind that those things are designed to be run in the open, with air freely flowing all around.
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #256
Bus Crazy

Thanks Pipolak. I did as you suggested and put a pusher fan in. It blows in the bottom on one side and exhausts at the top on the other side. I'll probably add a puller fan on the exhaust side as well and do another heat study just to be sure. As long as the oil temp stays below about 240 degrees I think I'll be OK.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #257
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly

Quote:
I spent most of today sitting in my bus thinking about just how to proceed
I thought it was just me that did that.
I'll be working along just fine, and then I'll just sit and think about how I'm going to do the next 10 things on my list of things to do.
Never one to miss out on a good ear scratch, Molly usually wanders over for that while I'm thinking.
I also find that many problems are "solved" in the middle of the night.

My brother says that all of those years working in a gas station/garage put us in the mindset of not staying with a job. You were constantly
having to stop what you were doing to go out and pump gas for someone. (Yes Virginia, people actually pumped the gas for you.)
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #258
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Hey Somewhere --- thanks for the reminder. I'd almost forgotten why they used to be called..."SERVICE stations" way back when.

Jack --- In the art world, there is actually a term for that period of time when you're mulling over a problem, have walked away from it, musing about in the shower or in your sleep instead of hacking away at it. They call it "the creative digestive period". And while many great scientists, writers, thinkers and artists have employed the process, one does need to bear in mind what digestion typically produces.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #259
Bus Crazy

Gas? ---that would take us full circle in this line of reasoning Jack
Old 10-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #260
Bus Crazy

Hello all, I've little to show for a lot of time spent this past couple of weeks. I think I have finally settled on a way to exhaust the hot air from the genny box that includes a puller tube axiel fan in the outlet ducting. That ducting will final vent through the space heater exhaust vent and seems to waste the least amount of space--all I have to do is build it.

I have laid out a rough in of the cuts for the slide out but have not cut yet because I realized that I will soon need to get the bus into its permanent dry workshop as the rainy (in Calif?) weather about to come will interfere with interior build out. To do that I need to lower the bus a half inch so that it will clear my garage door without having to let the air out of the tires each time I move it in and out. Hopefully I will have that completed tomorrow.

I also got an aluminum gas tank built for the genny. I took a couple of Al boxes I took off an old Jeep to a welder buddy with the intent of having them welded together etc. ( I don't have the right welder} and when I went to pick it up I was told that he had decided to keep the boxes for his old Toyota FJ Landcruser and build a complete new tank for me and would $40 be OK! Check the pic and see what you think!

I try to make a weekly treck to the local Restore and today I found a RV propane tank (still has fuel in it so probably is OK) for $15. It is 12" in diam, and 31" long (the formula for volume is the radius squarred times pie times height devided by 231.---) Anyway this works out to be about 15 gallons which I will add to my present 10 gal tank. That should keep me in the boonies for quit a while.

{b} New fuel tank is about 8.5 gal rather than the 3 gal the genny came with. The tank fits inbetween two body outriggers and uses otherwise lost space.[b/]

[b] A pic of the additional propane tank.[img]
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w43 ... es/166.jpg[/img][b/]

Like most of us I suppose, I have no good reason (excuse) for having gotten so little done other than to say "slow work takes time! HA!) Jack