Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24
Re: 1979 International...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchefscott
As far the offer of funds... I love you for it!! I couldn't accept anything as this was not an accident or theft (although I would be the one to donate to somebody else if I was on the other end) but something I have to work thru.
It is always harder to accept help when the hole we're stuck in is partially or completely our own doing. That is good ol' pride showing it's head. Sometimes that pride is a good thing, sometimes it isn't. Like I said, it'd be a shame to lose your bus, your money, and your dream over this. You have plenty of time to sort through any lessons later, preferably while you're working on your bus! Take whatever help is available to deal with the crisis at hand. My offer still stands.

-Ray

Old 02-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #22
Almost There

Coachwork: na
Chassis: na
Engine: na
Send a message via Yahoo to drchefscott

Ok. I sat with the Pastor and the tow company on different phone calls trying to figure out what is best for all and we finally came to this agreement. With all the issues I seen, I really don't want this unit and for whatever their reasons, neither does the church. The tow company agreed that he would reduce the tow fees and take possession of the bus. The pastor and I agreed that they will cut a check for $300 to the tow company and I will send the title and key on Tuesday to the tow company. The church will cut me a check for half of the balance or $600. That way nobody really loses everything.

I haven't lost my dream but have learned a lot. Was it expensive.. sure. Was it my fault.. YES!! But I will look harder and be extremely careful next time. And there will be a next time once I move back to Florida.

Again... Thanks.

Scott
drchefscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

What??? I honestly gotta say, I don't get it. It doesn't sound like there is a lot wrong with your bus. The butterfly sticking and sputtering after having sat for 9 months is not to be unexpected. There appears to be an electrical short somewhere. Can't be that major, the bus did run up to that point. The church was willing to pay the impound fees and you know of at least one person who was willing to help out a bit cash wise to help you go fetch it. Not many people get those kind of breaks under these circumstances. After all the money you have into it I'd say go get the dam bus. If you can't find the short, cut loose the wiring, hot wire the ignition, and get that puppy home. That's what I'd do. I think that's what most of us here would do.

Next time you're willing to just give a bus away, look me up.

-Ray
Old 02-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #24
Almost There

Year: 92
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

I have to disagree with everyone, I think you are better off cutting your losses, the bus is 30 yrs old and going to be full of more troubles, with patience you can get into something half its age for the same money that will cost you less over time
bbbrt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:01 AM   #25
Almost There

Coachwork: na
Chassis: na
Engine: na
Send a message via Yahoo to drchefscott

Hey all...

I wish I was a drinker cause I could then chalk this up to a bad stooper. But the reality is I jumped in with both feet... into quicksand without fully looking where I was jumping. Fortunately for me, my name is not on this title yet. Tomorrow (Tuesday) I will send overnight the title to the towing company so they will have it Wednesday. Once I track they have it, I will notify the Pastor and he will mail both checks: 1 to me and 1 to the towing company. If there were more funds available, I would have driven back the 150 miles to where it is, have it bailed out and towed (30 miles) into the Walmart parking lot next to the auto parts store and go to town with it. The reality of it is I have been out of work most of 2008. The wife has been the only one employed. Thats why the tax refund check was used. It wasn't part of any monies planned to move with and is the other reason I was going to use it as a moving truck as its first venture. And once we get moved back to Florida, I can restart my lawn maintenance company while working a part time job somewhere. Once I am bringing in some income, I will come back for the wife here in Roanoke. That way somebody is working. We are going to relocate her into a less expensive residence here since out lease is up (we pay $1100 a month now for rent) in May.

Both of our minds have been going in many directions since the other day. We have finally agreed between us to send the title, cut our losses, finish up our (1970 Shasta 17') travel trailer and I will head to Fla. with that to live in a camp ground until I get settled there. Will have to wait for the Pastors check to clear and use that to finish up the camper. We both said that if the money is there before the final move of her to Fla, maybe we could find another bus (have it checked out professionally) and use it still. If not, we will wait until after the final move and look then. Either way, we both don't want to give up on this bus project. Its going to be a rough year with me in Fla. and her in Roanoke but with visits, we need to do what we need to do.

You guys are like me in so many ways. If the bus was stolen or in a major wreck (not my fault) and you offered me funds, I probably would have accepted them (and in most cases if I was working donated to others myself) but this was my fault.

Thanks.

Scott
drchefscott is offline   Reply With Quote