Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1981
Chassis: International
Engine: 366 Gasser
1981 International Model 1600

Hello all, I'm new here and to the world bus conversions. I recently found a 1981 International Model 1600. It has a 366 Chevy Big Block with 103,000 miles.

It has already been converted, but I want to redo the inside and make it nicer. I'll mostly be using it for camping during the summer.

Is this a good bus? Or should I stay away?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1590.JPG  

PartyDeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Every bus is a good bus.
The price is how I determine if it's good for ME!
The deck- it looks like aging wood. I also don't like gas engines for driving any distance as they really guzzle the fuel and don't have the torque of a good diesel.
If I were going to have a gasser, I'd want an IHC engine in it, not a chevy.
There's my two cents, but only cause you asked.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

The asking price is $3300 Obo.
As far as the wood - I looked at it yesterday and the wood doesn't look/feel aged in person like it does in the pictures. The seller said the deck is ~2 years old.

When you say "driving any distance"...is that 100, 200, 500 or more miles? My guess is that I wouldn't drive it more than 150 miles at a time.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
Bus Geek

at about 3-5 mpg they can be a bit pricey to operate. If you aren't doing any long distances then the drivetrain matters a bit less I suppose. Are there mountains there?
How old are the tires, and how much conversion work was done?
Old 02-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Relatively flat ground. A few large hills, but definitely no mountains. All four rear tires were replaced with retread tires this past summer and the fronts looked to have plenty of tread.

The bus has been completely converted...Bunks, refrigerator, microwave, electric ran, TV, and a few dividing walls. A hitch was put on and the seller said he pulled an enclosed trailed with his side by side in it. Also claimed to get 7 mpg.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Does it have a generator, a toilet, or any ac/heat?
Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

A generator underneath, but it doesn't run. Seller just uses home generator instead. No toilet or water. A window AC unit, which is supposed to cool the bus plenty on an 80 degree F day but if it's 90, it won't keep up. No heat, but I won't ever use it when I need heat.

I'm thinking about trying to get it for $2800, but I don't really know what a good deal is for this.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
Bus Geek

That's more reasonable than a lot of bus "conversions" I've seen for sale.
But I'd personally try to use a lot of things about it as bargaining leverage.
The gas engine would be one negotiating point. The generator not running would be a BIG one. I don't like when something doesn't work. Makes me wonder how capable the owner is of maintenance in general and I start to wonder what else may not be working.
This is all just MY opinion.
I'm a blue collar working guy laid off of work so I'm very careful with spending.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for your help! I'm going to offer $2500 and plan to put at least $1000 (probably more) in basic updates...flooring, paint, generator, deck sealant, etc.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:45 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Yeah thats a lot more reasonable to pay- in my opinion.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Well, I made a deal on the bus last night...$2550 pending the test drive goes well. As soon as the weather clears up and the snow melts we are going for a drive.

I can't wait to start remodeling the bus...I already purchased some wood laminate flooring.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyDeck View Post
I already purchased some wood laminate flooring.
Vinyl plank flooring by traffic master would have been a far better choice for the moisture issues many skoolie conversions suffer from.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I went with the laminate because I found some at Menards on clearance for $0.59/sqft. I'm trying to keep the cost down because this is mostly going to be a party bus/camper.

What kind of issues will I run into with the laminate? I just don't know if I can justify 3x the price of what I got the laminate for...
Old 03-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Can't beat that price!
I'm using some laminate in mine. Not too much, just a bit I have leftover from doing two rooms in a house. Nice bamboo lookin stuff though!
For long term use, there probably are better solutions but there isn't a right or wrong way to build a school bus conversion. Especially a party/weekend bus.
Keep it simple and cheap, would be my thinking for something like that.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #15
Bus Nut

It's just a lot more moisture sensitive. Most laminates are a thin photo layer on top of MDF or an MDF-like product. They're pretty moisture-resistant on the top, but not very much at all on the bottom (depends on the product). I think nat_ster was suggesting (and I totally drink the same Kool-Aid) that vinyl is pure plastic - it's totally waterproof and for a mobile type situation it's a great choice. You're never going to have to think about it.

I like the plank flooring products but I'm seriously thinking about doing a roll-out product, one of those cheap ones most people hate. They're nicer than they used to be, and no cracks. If I have to replace some I don't mind cutting it in at that point, but the advantage is it's a super-fast install if you do it before you install anything else.
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Tankswap

The vinyl plank is super fast to install. A pair of hand snips, a small square, and a pencil is all you need.

I'm not a fan of roll type flooring due to the install. Too much chance for error.

A party bus that no one cares about is one of the best places for the plastic flooring. Otherwise, you may end up with a swollen, buckled mess to trip over.

If it's just a party bus why even install flooring? My shed I live in is just the bare metal floor. It works great not having to care about messing up the pretty flooring. I can even drag hot ashes out of the stove right onto the floor.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
I would wonder why it has a Chevy engine instead of the original IH engine in it
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
Roll vinyl flooring is a lot less durable than plank vinyl flooring. The cheap roll I bought and am using only as a water barrier is very delicate and already has holes and scratches. The plank flooring my girlfriend installed in her living room is very tough and looks more like real wood than a lot of real wood floors.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:15 PM   #19
Bus Nut

OK, fair points. Plank flooring it is. Guess with all these ideas it's time to start my own project thread instead of hijacking others'...
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
I would wonder why it has a Chevy engine instead of the original IH engine in it
I'm not really sure. I do know that the 366 Chevy was an engine used in a lot of medium-heavy duty trucks and buses. I don't know whether or not IH ever used this engine. I've been trying to look it up, but haven't had too much luck...the seller is going to send me a picture of the title so hopefully I can get more details from that.