Old 12-18-2006, 10:07 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Ummm, I use Paint Shop Pro.... I have a couple versions of it (v3.0 & v5.0, has been extremely useful over the years...

You are doing the seats differently than I did. I didn't bother stripping the cushions off until they were unbolted. But that was because the actually had to 'work' to get the junk off the frames....

On the angle grinder...just watch your fingers!! These things will take off a finger much easier than cutting through the bus! As for circular holes, DO NOT use the hole saws from Harbor Frieght...they will not cut through the steel... Get good ones from Lowes and make sure it says cuts through metal on the package!

I bought a 4" angle grinder, and then I took the safety guard off of it, and bought 4 1/2" metal cutting discs...the 4.5" are bigger and last longer.., but you're playing with the welfare of your fingers doing this...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:15 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Oh, and from looking at the picture above, I'd say you had the same "skrunge" on the mounting rail beside each seat like I did...I have inch thick mold growing under the rear seat center metal thing...

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Chesapeake, Virginia
Old 12-18-2006, 11:25 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneCamping
Ummm, I use Paint Shop Pro.... I have a couple versions of it (v3.0 & v5.0, has been extremely useful over the years...

I bought a 4" angle grinder, and then I took the safety guard off of it, and bought 4 1/2" metal cutting discs...the 4.5" are bigger and last longer.., but you're playing with the welfare of your fingers doing this...
Thanks for the software info...

The bandage on my left index finger already attests to the fact that their welfare is in jeopardy...my guard isn't on there either. Actually I think the larger diameter discs would be better. I'm a fast study...no more bandages!

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:28 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneCamping
Oh, and from looking at the picture above, I'd say you had the same "skrunge" on the mounting rail beside each seat like I did...I have inch thick mold growing under the rear seat center metal thing...
Well, it's far from clean that's for sure but I was atually pretty surprised how little skrunge there was. I had a pretty good collection of trash under that divider but no mold. I think I only found about 3 pieces of gum in the whole bus...amazing!

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Old 12-20-2006, 09:52 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Well, you name it and I found it... coins, love letters, toys, pens, pencils, gum, more gum, snot...and lots of it, some kids homework (I can just hear the teacher saying "sure, I believe you lost your homework on the bus" Bwahaha).... I filled a large garbage bag full of 'gunk' cleaned out of that bus.

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Chesapeake, Virginia
Old 12-20-2006, 10:39 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Mine had a little compartment under one of the back seats, presumably for stuff like roadflares, but that stuff was all in a different case up in front. So what did I find in that compartment? A bunch of empty cigarette packs, snuff cans, and empty beer cans.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:41 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Mine had a little compartment under one of the back seats, presumably for stuff like roadflares, but that stuff was all in a different case up in front. So what did I find in that compartment? A bunch of empty cigarette packs, snuff cans, and empty beer cans.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Old 12-24-2006, 05:38 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Now ain't this a beautiful sight (Merry Christmas to me)!

And one from the back of the bus:

Man, am I glad that part is over. Did I mention...I HATE SEATS!

Larger versions are in my Skoolie.net gallery.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Old 12-24-2006, 11:33 PM   #19
Bus Geek

there is another school bus conversion site that won't allow users to post photos of empty buses with seats removed....i'm glad we have this site.

i love the above photos. brings back lots of memories of my skoolies.

OOOOH!....the possibilities are endless!!!

i would say that for me removal of the seats seats has to be one of the most miserable parts of the conversion
Old 12-25-2006, 10:30 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Well, you know I was thinking no one really wants to see another darn bus photo of the seats taken out but...

It's like a rite of passage! It's that hurdle you just have to get over; you've got to get it done in order to move on to the things you really want to do. And you feel so darn good when it happens that you just have to share and the only physical thing you can show is that all those stupid seats are GONE!

I totally agree about it being the most miserable part of the conversion. On the first bus I got to lay underneath the bus and hold the nuts while all the underbus crud fell on me. Of course it was just a little too long of a reach for me from the ground to the bus floor so I spent hours in very awkward positions. On this bus I couldn't get to the nuts underneath (too much stuff in the way) so I used a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder to cut 100 stainless bolts heads off (4 each on 24 seats and 4 extra for the 4-legged seat in front of the emergency door (the back two seats (#25 and #26) are mounted on the engine cover...no bolts...yea!). Hours and hours on my knees and hunched over...I'm still unkinking!

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site