Old 01-09-2007, 01:58 AM   #71
Bus Nut

the 2 good sets of biceps definitely wern't mine and apparently not yours either
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:05 PM   #72
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
...just don't go faster than Elliot... someone needs to discover
the whoopsies and...
Hey, I resemble that remark!
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:27 PM   #73
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Hi Les-

Those are the same reasons I chose to use Smugmug -- just upload & caption...no worries about layout, navigation, etc. They have provided excellent service in the past...I've had support questions that were answered via e-mail in minutes.

Thank you for the kind words. Looking forward to seeing your conversion progress!

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Lampman
I've just started a website for my Thomas bus conversion at:

http://www.skoolie.smugmug.com

I liked SeanF's website so much I decided to use Smugmug for mine. I maintain a couple of websites (one for my business and one for my wife's artwork), the business keeps me hopping, and I'm trying to convert my bus so I think it will be much easier on me if I just have a place to upload photos and type out what's happening rather than also dealing with site layout, maintenance, and such.

Take a look at let me know what you think; if I'm going to change things now's the time to do it!

And Sean...they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and I really like your site but if mine looking so similar (Smugmug only gives you so may options for navigation) is a problem for you please don't hesitate to say so.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:02 AM   #74
Bus Nut

Since the weather has been so delightful in the (not sunny and not so warm) Pacific Northwest I've had a bit of time to work on the Smugmug site; I think it's coming along.

Nothing to report on the bus this last week...too darn cold (snow on the ground) and I'm not set up to deal with that.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:45 AM   #75

Tell me is it recommended that the rubber comes out, or just a personel choice that it does, and would it get rid of that smell of rubber once it is out? I do realize that if it doesn't come out it could distort the new floor! would like to know what some of you guy's have or usually do, thanks.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:32 AM   #76
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster59
Tell me is it recommended that the rubber comes out, or just a personel choice that it does, and would it get rid of that smell of rubber once it is out? I do realize that if it doesn't come out it could distort the new floor! would like to know what some of you guy's have or usually do, thanks.
It's just a personal choice unless you suspect something amiss. On my first bus I left it in place because I tried one section and it was really difficult to remove. When I tried a section on the Thomas I have now it came up pretty nicely (although there are some 'stuck' sections that take some effort) so I went for it.

The reason I did it was to get down to the subfloor (usually plywood) level and assess its condition. Since mine is a low roof bus (6-feet at the center) I also wanted that layer out so I could install flooring for about an even swap in floor height. Since I decided to raise the roof that became a non-issue but then I wanted to get down to the plywwod floor as a good level base for the insulated floor which in my case will be 2x4 floor joists filled with insulation with regular subfloor ply on top.

Just consider all the pros and cons for yourself, how your bus will be used and whether or not there are any rust concerns.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Old 02-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #77
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I agree with pulling the stuff out. Granted I'm in a climate where I should just expect rot, my floor looked ok from all my superficial inspections. However, once that rubber came up, we did find some spots that were pretty gross. It also did allow us to insulate with an even trade on height. Getting that rubber flooring, the seats, and that moldy plywood out took must of that "bus smell" with it. While I do like the bus smell, there can be too much of a good thing.

It's also worth noting that once you start the conversion you really can't go back and do the floor. I can change walls around. I can change wiring. I can chage plumbing. I can't realistically change the floor so it was important to me to have a good solid foundation to start from.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:27 PM   #78
Bus Nut

The one I'm doing now, same basic unit as Les's bus...I left the rubber flooring in. I'm just installing new stuff over it, even put self stick tiles directly onto the rubber floor in places. We'll see how well or how long that lasts, but for now it's doing what I want it to do... Most of the bus will have some carpet padding and some carpet installed over it...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:40 PM   #79

Well i do appreciate the responses on the rubber on the floor, i guess i'll toss ideas on this when it actually comes time to lay the floor down which it may be very soon.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #80
Bus Nut

Auguster,

What I find tends to happen is the more you work with your bus, and the more familiar you get with its component parts, and the more your mind works on the issues, the more the answers just seem to come to you. One discovery leads to another and you'll find you're constantly making an automatic analysis about what's ok and what's not. It can be an entirely different answer for each of us and yet still be the perfect solution. We're like the Baskin-Robbins of the skoolie conversion world around here...we'll put out 31 different ideas, you just have to figure out what flavor you like (or even better...what combination!).

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site