Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 AM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: 1983 GMC Ward 66 passenger (Bigasspimp Mobile)

If my memory serves me well, I've only read of one person putting the metal skin back up. It was a bitch (if my memory serves me well). I'd put up a thin plywood. Most use a luan type. The issue of foam and a fire barrier might be a concern -- just don't have any hot connections, if you know what I mean.

bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #62
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

BTW --- The structural integrity of most of these units are actually reliant on the interior metal skin as part of the design. Learned that from a Blue Bird engineer. It helps properly distribute the torsional loading throughout the chassis via the ribs. Not a good idea to remove and leave it out.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #63
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Though I don't doubt the strength that the interior roof skin adds, I do believe school buses are built to survive rollovers, etc. with an intact shell so as not to crush the kiddies. If the interior roof skin were removed the vehicle would still be stronger than your typical RV (or so I assume). Many people have removed the ceiling panels, and I have never read of a structural issue because of it.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #64
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Smaller update. Got all the outside riveting done. long process but for now its done till the windows come but so Im hoping I wont need to rivet anymore. Anyone who is taking this one I would HIGHLY suggest getting a cheaper rivet gun. it paid for itself and them some. I got the harbor frieght one and was very pleased with it. It did all I asked of it.

I am moving on to peeling off the inner skin on the inside. I got one done and was shocked at how little insulation was there. Im sure I took years off my life breathing that crap. Ill load up some pics of the next phase.

My current goal is to get it street legal.... and ready to transfer the title. I also need to get my lay out planned out so I can get ready to bring on the windows.

As said Ill add pics here later on today.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Espiritus

You are correct. I am also a beekeeper. I have been keeping bees for about 5 years now. So far we have had a VERY mild winter which is good for bees but bad cause every other damm bug will be in huge numbers. I currently have 5 hives here on my property. There have been several cases of CCD that we have seen in the area. The beekeeping club Im a member of we have had several cases reported. I think its a number games for the most part. Lots of hobbist dont really get it too much but theres a more issues with sideliners have more hives so it will show up there more.

As for mean bees... Yes we have them here. Africanized or hybridized bees are VERY common here. It will let you know how equipped or ill equipped you are. I have an ultrabreeze full suit so I dont worry too much about them. Ive been totally covered in bees with that suit and didnt get one sting. Well with the money I laid down.

Hope your bees are doing well.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #66
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Bapos,
Is it possible for you to post pics of what it looks like under your ceiling? Is it just fiberglass insulation? We were thinking of pulling the ceiling of whichever bus we get to look for mold and whatnot, insulate and either frame and finish or put the steel back up.

Side note, beekeeping is pretty neat!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #67
Bus Nut

@inkblots84 It might be a while before I remove the inner roof sheet metal. I suspect it will be the same as the sides. I am in the middle of taking the sheet metal off the sides of the inner skin Here is when I opened the first panel.

Yes this stuff is very nasty and dirty. I am sure it took a few years off of my life.

Here is the look as I was in destruct mode.

Im taking it off with a air hammer. Its making short work of it. I would highly suggest it if your taking this one. Im getting close to insulating soon. Also been trying to get my lay out in order cause I see things coming at an impass if I dont.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #68
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

I've run into the same problem. It seems that the arch in the metal relaxes and then the holes don't line up. I found that if you start one screw somewhere in the arc (not tight) then use an ice pic or awl through a second hole diagonally across from the first screw to line up another nearby hole and continue this process until all screws are in, it isn't too bad a job. tighten the screws only when all have been started.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Im still in check on this.. I haven't made any decision as of yet. I am trying to get my lay out done so I can put the windows in. Once we have those in Ill start the insulation process. I REALLY want to do the roof but don't think I will go back with the original panels just as you guys have pointed it, it would be Way too hard to get them to line back up
Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #70
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Reinstalling the original steel panels back on the roof, touching the steel support ribs will render all your hard work insulating almost pointless. You need a thermal break.

Sorry I don't mean to come off too aggressive. I'm just sharing experience.

Nat

Posted for educational purposes only.

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #71
Bus Geek

I have to agree,on ours in the full summer sun the stock insulation keeps panels between studs cool....you can not touch the ribs at all tho'
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Not a whole lot to report. The bus conversion has kind of been on the back burner. I have found on craigslist an ad for insulation so Saturday (7/6/13) to pick up 25 sheets of 1.75 inch polyiso @ 4.00 a sheet. I thought was a real good deal so Im collection pieces to to try and get back on track. Here is a picture of the ad.... kind of excited. Another step. Now just need windows and some radiant barrier.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #73
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Got the insulation. I have hit a brick wall again. I am in the last semester of my HVAC school and have to of the hardest classes to try and keep ahead of so this will probably delay me getting things done. It will also help to know I have a job waiting making twice as much as I am right now so my focus is on school. Hopefully the bus will come around and all will be good.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #75
Bus Nut

Very small update.

Ordered these windows for the bus http://www.homedepot.com/p/TAFCO-WIN...y#.UdnQLB8o6M8

Bought some 2x2 steel square tubing so I will be welding in some of the metal framing to put the windows in.

I will be finally making some progress on the bus so should be some more posts here in the next few weeks.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #76
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos View Post
Very small update.

Ordered these windows for the bus TAFCO WINDOWS 32 in. x 14 in. Left-Hand Single Sliding Vinyl Window White with Dual Pane Insulated Glass - White-PBS3214-I - The Home Depot

Bought some 2x2 steel square tubing so I will be welding in some of the metal framing to put the windows in.

I will be finally making some progress on the bus so should be some more posts here in the next few weeks.
So how did those windows work out?

I am wanting to replace my bus windows (and get rid of a lot of the glass), but am really not fond of RV windows either.
CE42 is offline   Reply With Quote