Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2005, 08:59 AM   #21
Almost There

Send a message via MSN to glock17
Re: The bus is Painted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitAndy
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock17
Its finally painted, tonight we will be painting on the graphics and lettering, I'll have more pictures when I'm done with that.
Lookin pretty good. Can you share with us more on how you painted your ride... did you have professional equip, or a pro there to help... what type of paint/primer did you use, did you have a small portable air compressor? Things like that. I am about to paint mine and I have been back and forth on either spreying it, or rolling it...
My friend and I sanded it then we pulled it into a concrete paving equipment manufacturer that my dad works at. They have huge industrial screw type air compressors there and a paint booth large enough to paint concrete pavers. Diamond Vogel donated thier best industrial paint for our project; the only stipulation was that we had to hire a professional painter to paint it as the paint is highly toxic and had to be painted with a fresh air hood being worn by the painter. The paint we used was Diamond Vogel Pinnacle which is a 2 component polyurethane enamel. Primer and color are both 2 part paints. I told them I wanted a standard blue color off the shelf but Vogel insisted that we provide them with a paint chip so they could custom mix me the exact color I wanted. I have no idea how much the paint costed as it was donated but it was probably around $500 for all the paint if you were to buy it. I would definatly not roll it on. Our bus has an almost automotive like finish now. If you are looking for a super quality industrial coating that will last a long time I would check out this company. http://www.diamondvogel.com/index.html

glock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:03 AM   #22
Almost There

more pictures

here are some photos of the graphics being painted on. We hooked my computer up to a projector and used adobe illustrator to resize the images then just taped them off and painted with a small paintbrush. As soon as I can take it out of the shop I'll get some better pictures.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:34 AM   #23
Almost There

dammitAndy-

The original plan was for me to paint the bus myself, if I had done that I was going to buy tractor enamel from the local hardware store and shoot it with a siphon type gun. Now that I have seen it done I would probably buy some paint and shoot it with a pressure tank type gun that can be found at NAPA for like $80. That is what the painter painted my bus with, it looks just fine. I think you can get similar paint to what i got for a decent price. It does not take much. We had 3 gallons of primer and 3 gallons of color and we have some left over, I think we have a whole gallon of primer left over. Primer is important as it fills in the scratches that you missed while sanding. I'd say you need a pretty decent air-compressor, most home use compressors will probably overheat when used for that long of a time. 3 hours of continuous running will ruin a small air compressor. Maybe you could paint it in sections and give your compressor a break.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:15 AM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 370
Rated Cap: 44
Well I'm sold! Thanks for the input Glock!

Here's my plan, going to spray with BPS Tractor Implement and going to roll the roof w/ the same stuff. I will arange to paint in our old metal fab facility, cause its empty and used for storage now. It has a nice sized shop compressor that will work great. My buddy just got a gun too that we can use. I will buy the BPS suggested primer too. Exciting stuff, I can't wait.

Plotting the next project now. Looking for a clean diesel pusher with low rust/miles. Identical plans with plumming and biodiesel added :)
dammitAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:20 PM   #25
trx
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevy C-60
Engine: 8.2L Turbo Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Send a message via ICQ to trx
I like how you traced your graphics onto the bus. That gave me a brainstorm on how to do graphics on my bus but without having a computer projector. Another option is to use an art projector/tracer or an overhead projector. Still an investment to buy one for one use but I read is that places like Office Max and Office Depot rent them.
trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:50 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock17
dammitAndy-
I'd say you need a pretty decent air-compressor, most home use compressors will probably overheat when used for that long of a time. 3 hours of continuous running will ruin a small air compressor. Maybe you could paint it in sections and give your compressor a break.
funny you should mention that! While painting my bus the second time, my trusty old compressor died. It is a 5hp 220 volt, with a good size tank..about 30 gallons i think. Rather than replacing it with another cheap alluminum made in china compressor, I decided to try something a little more heavy duty. The local scrap yard sold me a compressor for a big truck air brake system for ten bucks. It requires coolant, and full pressure lube. To solve this puzzle, i installed an old power steering pump i had laying around to pump oil through the coolant and lubrication passages. I've had it for a while now, and it works wonderfully! I also put a bigger pulley on the motor to allow the compressor to spin faster. I was suprised at how much heat is generated by an air compressor.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:31 AM   #27
Almost There

next step is to tint the windows
Old 05-09-2005, 09:59 AM   #28
Almost There

The rear heater somehow got a hole punched in it, anitfreeze was squirting all over the place last time I drove it, couch got all wet. Guess I have to take the rear heat out now, the hole is not fixable.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:19 PM   #29
Almost There

Heater Core

Hi Glock 17 , Suggestion only. Take the heater core to the radiator shop and get a new one. They are pretty cheap and the heater does come in very handy. It might surprise you how easily they can match the core.

J.B.
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:54 AM   #30
Almost There

ok, there is a shop not too far from me, I do like the rear heat in the winter time.