Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2016, 02:00 AM   #201
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: International Harvester
Chassis: S1700
Engine: 6.9l IDI
Rated Cap: 27 (adults)
I would clarify that these goats are not going to be living on the bus long term in any capacity. This is a one time journey for them. And being that they are under 2ft tall 3.5 feet of head room with 5x8 ft of space is sufficient for them. They would spend time in a smaller cage in the bus as well, but would sleep up top, and ride up top at times as well. I would reference the numerous member that have roof top chicken coops which are permanent... The goats also ride better in a car than my dog does lol. And they like being on top of tall things i.e.: they climb anything they can, as long as I let them run on leash once a day what's the issue robin? People drag less accommodating horse trailers across the country. My main concern is excessive wind noise or vibration freaking them out, and or if it seems to get hot up there. I was going to take a drive with my girlfriend riding up there so she could report what it's like. If t's scary then it's a no go, but if it's fine, than I don't see a problem. They will have more free space than any cage I could fit in the bus...also I was going to put a sound+video baby monitor up there so I can check on them while driving. Hey will probably spend a lot of the drive inside regardless because i do like them very much and enjoy their company. They are very happy healthy goats.

Famousinternetjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #202
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
We had lots of critters when I was growing up. Chickens, ducks, rabbits. And my old man let me know early on not to name any of them cause we would never have any "pets" that we couldn't eat when the time came.

CABRITO!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #203
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Sorry Jesus, I was just teasing about the goats. I've had goats and I know how personable they are. I do live on a sheep ranch.
Seriously, chicken coups on top of a bus? Haven't seen that one but I do like fresh eggs.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #204
Skoolie

It's all good I just wouldn't want you or anyone thinking that I would
Put them in an unsafe, or cruel situation. They are funny little animals. Arent sheep a lot like goats?
Old 05-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #205
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the only GOAT i know anything about is the 1969 thats in my dad's Garage...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:48 PM   #206
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Yeah, goats are smarter than dogs. Sheep are actually pretty smart too, but you might have to look for intelligence a little harder since they aren't as assertive as a goat. Goats do more. Sheep observe more.

How could I think you're being mean to your goats if you're taking them on a cross country trip? Who does that? I think they'd love it. However I'm imagining some strange expressions on their faces while riding up high. You got to admit, goats are so comical anyway.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #207

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Putting animals on the roof is OK according to Mitt Romney.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:13 PM   #208
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Putting animals on the roof is OK according to Mitt Romney.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:20 PM   #209
Skoolie

For those whose are interested after test riding a human up top, I'm not sure I want my
Goaties up there, via walkie talkie they reported the ride was quite comfortable as long as we went straight but that the pitch back and forth was probably more than the goats would like. I reall love them so: I have cleared and area and I am temporarily abandoning my 1950s barber chair on the east coast!! The goats will be penned in right behind the entry steps. And I think I will add a second level they can jump up to to look out the window, so yes, it will be fenced in to th ceiling. If I had a roof hatch it sure would
Be neat to connect to the storage space up top through it! I've pretty much gutted my interior to make space for 3 5.9 cummins engines one with auto transmission attached, 2 Honda dirt bikes, 2 goats, one dog, one me, one canoe filled with clothes art etc. the goats still may ride up top, I have to check it out myself, not only for ride comfort but also for temperature, the cap is insulated and carpeted top and sides, and gets good airflow through it. I'm considering filling the trough with ice and water also. I don't know why people would post images of a dumb politician on my thread, please don't do that again. I don't want to get political
Old 06-14-2016, 01:48 PM   #210
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famousinternetjesus View Post
For those whose are interested after test riding a human up top, I'm not sure I want my
Goaties up there, via walkie talkie they reported the ride was quite comfortable as long as we went straight but that the pitch back and forth was probably more than the goats would like. I reall love them so: I have cleared and area and I am temporarily abandoning my 1950s barber chair on the east coast!! The goats will be penned in right behind the entry steps. And I think I will add a second level they can jump up to to look out the window, so yes, it will be fenced in to th ceiling. If I had a roof hatch it sure would
Be neat to connect to the storage space up top through it! I've pretty much gutted my interior to make space for 3 5.9 cummins engines one with auto transmission attached, 2 Honda dirt bikes, 2 goats, one dog, one me, one canoe filled with clothes art etc. the goats still may ride up top, I have to check it out myself, not only for ride comfort but also for temperature, the cap is insulated and carpeted top and sides, and gets good airflow through it. I'm considering filling the trough with ice and water also. I don't know why people would post images of a dumb politician on my thread, please don't do that again. I don't want to get political
Sorry, was just injecting a bit of humor. Won't happen again.
FWIW- I'm extremely APOLITICAL.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #211
Skoolie

It's all good eastcoast, no worries. Check out my Instagram and you can see the little goaties
Old 07-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #212
Skoolie

I made it across the country. A few weeks ago. Goats and all. I managed to convince a friend to take a vacation and come for the drive. I have 15 gears, my turbo works awesome. I can pull sustained grades at appropriate highway speeds, many times even able to accelerate and pass up big rigs easily. My fuel economy in high elevation mountain regions with lots of big hills to climb is about 9.5 mpg. In Utah, Nebraska etc, I average about 12. I am able, if I choose to accelerate all the way to 90 mph. I can cruise 70 mph. When I am in double overdrive I cruise 70 at about 2200 rpm. I occasionally rev all the way to 3000 rpm. With no ill effect. My exhaust gas temperatures and coolant temperature never entered any dangerous range even while climbing the Rockies on a hot hot day loaded down with 2k pounds of cargo. A hail storm in Nebraska ( no kidding ) took out my radiator, so I spent the night on the side of the road waiting for a new one. So now I installed a gold screen to protect the new one, very stylish haha. The goats loved the trip. They rode inside. I decided to forego the up top concept for the time being. I have yet to adjust my IP. Even so with it at stock setting, I build about 7-8 psi at2600 rpm, with stable egts of 1000 degrees on a hard pull. By adjusting my ip I should be able to safely achieve about 10-11 psi peak boost without raising my egts or over stressing anything.

So here are the bullet points.

Yes you can turbo a 6.9
Manual transmissions are more fun.
Two transmissions are even more fun
Never tell Me what I can't do
I'm getting 200 some hp with 12mpg in 13.5k lbs bus
My goats loved the trip
My dog loved the trip
My bus goes faster than yours. ;)

Ps. I just took a trip to the coast in her and let me tell you, she carved highway 140 like a pickup truck.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #213
Skoolie

If you want to see pictures, go to Instagram and search famousinternetjesus
Old 07-15-2016, 10:27 PM   #214
Skoolie

Edit, that was supposed to say 199 not 140
Old 07-16-2016, 07:03 AM   #215
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Good work on getting that Brownie linked up! Question: How loud is it? I've heard that they can have quite a whine to them. If I could get my hands on one for cheap I'd probably give it a go. It'd be nice behind my 5-speed Spicer.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #216
Skoolie

The brownie box is awesome. It does have a whine to it. It's most pronounced in certain gears at certain rpms. It seems like a harmonic resonance sort of things. I could probably adjust its mounts or build a box around it to help quiet it down but it doesn't really bother me, but then again, I also drive a first gen cummins with a straight pipe exhaust. I might look for a 4 spd brownie if I were you, then you would have 20 gears! I am actually serious considering swapping in a close ratio 2spd rear end for even more gear splitting action. I am about to embark on the journey of reflooring my bus. I will be laying down thick rubber sound insulating mat as my first layer, so we will see how bad the brownie whine is then. Ildifferent eras of brownies are made different too. Mine is from the 50s so it probably has more of a whine then one from the 70s
Old 07-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #217
Skoolie

Plan on being a few hundred in for driveshafts, not to mention shift linkage. Try to find one you can pull of an old truck yourself. It will have the mounts and linkage etc. any questions about it feel free to ask I'm pretty well versed in them at this point haha

Tags
6.9l, at545, auxiliary, brownie, faster highway speeds