Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #101
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: International Harvester
Chassis: S1700
Engine: 6.9l IDI
Rated Cap: 27 (adults)
Hahaha I feel like that challenge is totally fair right? I mean I'd even respect you after that natster

Famousinternetjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #102
Bus Geek

sounds fun, kind of like when I thought a 3500 stall behind my 434ci sbc would work as DD (i was young and cocky), it ran like a raped ape when both sets of butterflies where open, cruising town sucked big time, I had a huge tranny cooler and a 16 inch fan on it....the reverse manual valve body didn't help much either

as long as you can keep the 545 input rpm about 2000/2200 you should be fine, lower and heat will be an issue

good luck and stop by TN and have a cold one on your trip
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #103

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Do you have pictures of the install?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #104
Skoolie

https://famousinternetjesus.wordpress.com

There are a bunch of bus pictures there. There are some good clear shots of the brownie box out, close ups of the mounting hardware etc. and the flanges and as you will see, I used ratchet straps hangin from the frame to lift the transmission off the ground and into place and hang it there while I made marks for mounting holes etc.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #105
Skoolie

I didn't document the play by play as well as I might have, but I will post more
Pics of the finished product
Old 11-09-2015, 04:40 AM   #106
Skoolie

So I have gotten into the meat of my interior. Finally. I have been so absorbed by my mechanical inclinations that I've been living rather...rustic... This summe after I built my bed, a fold up full size platform in the rear, and put my dinette in, my needs were fairly well suited and my efforts and focus were directed towards my more fancifully goals, like my brownie box which is awesome. Now I want to make my house better, for you know, living in. First thing I did was drill out all the rivets holding my side wall panels up and get rid of them and the crappy fiberglass insulation behind them. Thankfully (as I expected) there was Little to no sign of water damage, though there were patches of an odd black substance/ buildup where the fiberglass matt touched the steel. I have cut rectangles of foil backed moisture/mold resistant insulation board and shoved it in between each vertical support. Had to get that all done in one day, because I didnt want to be cold at night. Wishing I didn't wait till the beginning of the cold and wet season but ehh it's cool. I got all of the squares insulated and am currently living with bare insulation. over top of all that I will put a fabric mat type insulation and some very nice looking thin tongue and groove wood flooring I acquired (FREE!) which makes it even nicer ;). I've decided to leave the ceiling stock, it's so beautiful and it would be a shame to destroy it. It's seafoam green with a patina only age brings. I'm considering attempting to remove all the ceiling light fixtures and use blow in insulation along with desiccant pouches to insulate I'm thinking with large grill tongues I could remove the old fiberglass kinda the way the Egyptians removed brains through the nose when they mummified... Anybody ever do blown in insulation in their bus? I'm also thinkin that the super low profile 4 and a half foot wide deck I'm adding to the roof could sandwich some insulation under it as well. And this crappy wood floor has to go it's so thick it must weigh half a ton on its own and removing it will give me the chance to insulate and install pex tubing. Using a small aquarium type pump I can then pump water from the small water heater I'm building to fit on my wood stove and voila: heated floor.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:41 AM   #107
Skoolie

Anyone ever thought of grafting say mg or a studebaker gran turismo to their roof and making a functional flying bridge? Lol

Old 11-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #108
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerbill View Post
Why are you removing your roof bottom tin? it looks well insulated and maby just needs a good wash or a repaint?
Not quite seeing whats so bad about it?

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...us-9209-9.html

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/in...nks-11210.html

And last, please don't mount any vehicle on top of your bus.
It's getting hard enough for people to get insurance on buses, and that kind of stuff just makes things worse for everyone.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #109
Skoolie

And the fish took the bait...man... I'm not "calling you out" or anything I really don't want to do this but I have reread my whole thread and you seem to not say much at all except being negative. I'm not here to make your life harder. But this attitude of superiority and negativity needs to stop. As our esteemed colleague ice cube once said, "chiggity check yo self before you wreck yo self". I added the deco loner bit because it's so cool and over the top and I get a kick out of it. As long as the vehicle stays under 13.5 feet..
I've intentionally left my floor plan fully open. I want to maintain the essence the the buses origins. It's front ceilings panel is covered in stickers placed there by soldiers getting transported around the airbase.australian AirForce, Thailand airforce, really cool stickers either really interesting symbols and art. I'm not destroying that. My stove has had no trouble keeping me toasty warm so farm and I'm in the mountains. A lot of you have houses, I live in my bus already. Removing the roof would be pretty crappy for that reason also
Old 11-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #110
Skoolie

I'm not, but the fact is a flying bridge is very buildable... One could even add only an upper windshield with convertible top and seats. Ooh baby. I'm not building an rv if you haven't noticed. I'm building something much more fantastical then that. The fact also is that stripped down to only sheet metal with all the meat and bulk cut away a car like a MG would be light enough to be fine...
Has anyone done blowin insulation? I'm aware of the reasons why it's a good idea to remove the ceiling I just really like it and want to maintain it it's a choice I'm making.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #111
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famousinternetjesus View Post
https://famousinternetjesus.wordpress.com

There are a bunch of bus pictures there. There are some good clear shots of the brownie box out, close ups of the mounting hardware etc. and the flanges and as you will see, I used ratchet straps hangin from the frame to lift the transmission off the ground and into place and hang it there while I made marks for mounting holes etc.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #112
Bus Nut

If the bus didn't already have a huge windshield a flying bridge would be really cool.

Or you could take a dog nose bus raise the roof just past the drivers seat and do an old style open cockpit chauffeur driving position. Have a small little our door seating space and have the entry door parallel with the sides of the bus inset by about a foot or two. I also wouldn't want that personally but it would be cool. It would be next to impossible to insure, well get it insured then make all the modifications to it.

And he is only negative if you aren't doing it his way. He does have some good nuggets of knowledge, just make sure you have your grains of salt handy.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #113
Skoolie

@crazycal I would be very curious as to what you actually think about the AT1545p you picked up, I have found one for 620 dollars and am seriously considering it. It seems it is identical to the at545 I have except that it locks up in 3rd and 4th.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:16 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famousinternetjesus View Post
@crazycal I would be very curious as to what you actually think about the AT1545p you picked up, I have found one for 620 dollars and am seriously considering it. It seems it is identical to the at545 I have except that it locks up in 3rd and 4th.
I don't think anything yet. It hasn't been in my possession for a week yet. I need to find a place to swap it out. I wasn't aware that it locked up in 3rd also. It seems to be the same dimensions so I hope it is an easy swap. $620 seems like a good price. Is that rebuilt? If it is a take out, be careful. I have read about a few that have gone bad after their owners have tried flushing out the motor oil with trans fluid. Look it up on Steel Soldiers.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 11-09-2015, 11:31 PM   #115
Skoolie

I believe they do, after I read your post I began to do some heavy internet reading and it seems that they were designed that way for the extremely heavy loads the deuce and a halfs they made them for experienced. Unfortunately It is a takeout and it's in Michigan but I am about to drive across country so I figured, I could take the northern route...hahaha. Nice thing about manuals is they can be inspected and tested on a bench to an extent fairly easily but to the best of my knowledge you sort of have to cross your fingers and just install an auto to find out. What a bummer that would be. Although my brownie box was a takeout and no troubles there, knock on wood. 200-300rpm reduction. Would be really nice and lockup in third would be amazing in the mountains. I can pull pretty good grades right now in fourth/under. But with lock up I could pull them in third over and hat would be nice. Let me know about your swap and how easy or hard it was ill if you do get to it soon. Very cool stuff. I swear I'm gonna keep living in a trapper cabin style bus and making it this strange mechanical monster forever haha, my girlfriend says she won't live here without a proper bathroom and I'm like, we got the outhouse... And for on the road we got the little plastic thetford... What the problem is? Haha
Old 11-09-2015, 11:32 PM   #116
Skoolie

I guess as long as its the same bell housing and the input shaft is the same there shouldn't be any problems, good luck!
Old 11-09-2015, 11:54 PM   #117
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Wow, this is getting really interesting!
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:06 AM   #118

I think they can be put on a dyno but I think it costs $3-400.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 11-10-2015, 12:09 AM   #119
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Blow in insulation is is the best idea ever.

Not sure why we aren't all using it.

Go for it.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:45 AM   #120
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Blow in insulation is is the best idea ever.

Not sure why we aren't all using it.

Go for it.

Nat
One concern in have is that I may all settle to the outside over time. So then there is the question of filling the gaps with a spray foam through the light holes without removing the ceiling panels. They're just beautiful and I don't want to destroy them or change the appearance. I wonder if anyone has experience with this endeavor?

Tags
6.9l, at545, auxiliary, brownie, faster highway speeds