Re: 1989 32' Bluebird conversion
Figured out the problem with the engine today. I got a compression test adapter to screw into the injector holes, and checked all the cylinders. They were all good - 380-420 psi. Then I realized that someone had put a braided hose on the injector line for that cylinder, apparently trying to replace a section of the original solid tubing. I'm pretty sure what's happening, is that hose is expanding slightly with every pulse of fuel, so it never reaches enough pressure to open the injector. I doubt it ever worked - the engine sounds fine running on 5 cylinders. I'll get a new fuel line for that and report back, but I'm assuming it will fix the problem.
I got windows ordered, they should be ready by the 16th. $1678!! I just ordered regular vinyl house windows, all custom sizes. I'll have 9 windows total, plus the one by the driver (kept the original) and all the front and rear windows. 3 of the windows will be big enough to cover 2 of the old windows. Those will be sliders, and all the rest are casements (swing out with a crank).
I got 3 barrels to hang underneath the bus, 2 for fresh water and 1 for greywater. I'm using 55 gallon polyethylene barrels. They hang down a little lower than I'd like, but they'll be fine.
I cleaned up all the loose rust and junk on the floor with a wire wheel, and cleaned all the old caulking and stuff off with lacquer thinner. I have 2 gallons of Pitt-Guard Direct-to-Rust Epoxy Mastic Coating to paint on the floor. It was $90 for 2 gallons at Miller paint in Eugene (it's a 1:1 mix ratio, so I have a gallon of each part).
My rivets came, so I can start riveting up the metal to skin the front and rear (the gap created by the roof raise), but I'm going to wait to do the sides until I have windows.
I'm working full-time building a house, so it's kind of slow going on the bus. But it's coming along nicely. It'll be more fun once I get it all sealed up and building things inside it. I'm already a little sick of crawling around under there.