Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC/2000 32'
Engine: 5.9 Cummins FE
Rated Cap: 56
1989 32' Bluebird conversion

Hey guys,

Well I'm one of you now! I bought a 1989 32' Bluebird type D with a 5.9 Cummins front engine. I'll keep this thread updated as I go along. It's going to be my full time home once I get it converted.

I got the floor torn out yesterday. The plywood was mostly rotten and junk. The metal floor has surface rust but nothing serious.

Stay tuned...8 inch roof raise up next!

Arbor
00Arbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: 1989 32' Bluebird conversion

Congrats !!!!!!! Good looking bus....
What are you going to name her?
Old 06-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I haven't come up with a name yet...

Today I got the windows, side panels above the windows, and the panels on the front and back out. Hopefully I'll be back at it on Monday. Highschool graduation tomorrow...probably makes me the youngest skoolie here!

Arbor
Old 06-11-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Nice size, great start...and...it's a BB! Keep the pix coming.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1970
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/50
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 3

New here myself. GREAT look'n bluebird.
LOVE that "out with the old" shot.
looks like she "coughed" it up.
Good luck and Gods speed.
TfallsTrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
Bus Nut

You are never too young, but when you get to be 60 plus you will begin to wonder if you're not already too old......
good looking bus, good luck on the conversion....
Every day you spend in the bus is another days rent, or house payment you can save....
The housing market will take about 20 years to recover so I expect to see a lot more skoolies out there.
You know the smart people who know better, live better, see more, do more, go more ,etc etc etc...
You are heading in the right direction......

Bus less in Tennessee
Old 06-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
You are never too young, but when you get to be 60 plus you will begin to wonder if you're not already too old......
good looking bus, good luck on the conversion....
Every day you spend in the bus is another days rent, or house payment you can save....
The housing market will take about 20 years to recover so I expect to see a lot more skoolies out there.
You know the smart people who know better, live better, see more, do more, go more ,etc etc etc...
You are heading in the right direction......

Bus less in Tennessee

I don't want another house! I've "played that game" and it always made me feel like I had an anchor weighing me down.I did the "responsible" thing. It was more like the house owned me rather than the other way around. I like living in the campgrounds full-time. I like the freedom. I do feel the skoolie are a better structure to live in than the Stick-n-staples RV. The basic frame of a skoolie will last longer than a sticks-n-staples. The great thing about having your "home" on wheels is that if the economy poops out in one place you can just roll to another. Or if you don't like your neighbours, the weather, etc... just go! But we don't like staying in one place for very long. My kids once figured up the average of how often we move (we owned 4 houses and rented many). Every time we have moved it's been tied to our job (construction). FL, GA, NC, SC & TN... now we're out west (NM, TX... currently NM again). I do like to go. You never know where an opportunity will lead you. A rolling home will allow you to take advantage of opportunities that you might otherwise pass up. Now I just gotta get the bus finished up to where we can move into it. Paint, Paint, Paint..... I gonna replace most of the light bulbs/holders while I have the marker lights pulled off the bus to... PAINT. They still work, they have gotten wet and rusted though. I figure It is better (and easier) to replace now rather than later when a light craps out on me in the middle of nowhere (I can see nowhere from here.... )
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

Congratulations on your progress.

I've got one just like it.
I will be following your progress.

Here's a link to what I've accomplished so far:

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skoolies/Free+Bird

Good Luck!!
reb336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Hey Guys & Gals --- since there seem to be so many "Birders" here, thought I'd pass along a couple of things I discovered years ago while converting an older All-American (flat-nose, forward control) 40 footer. As you will likely note, once the seats and old floors are up, when the engine is running it sounds like a fireworks display going off inside a tin cracker box. MY old unit came with a supercharged Detroit 6v53 "Screamer". Just maybe the loudest diesel engine ever built. Great little engines that did a lot of duty on the riverboats in Viet Nam, but probably inflicted more damage on the enemy from it's noise than even the gunners could muster. Sound proofing/deadening is critical if you plan on spending much time in these darlins'. In that vein, I came across a plywood product called "Db-Ply" (Db as in "decibels"). Probably goes by a host of names these days, but remarkable stuff. The center layer is not wood, but rather barium-loaded vinyl. This stuff absorbs sound like a sponge. We used it to build sound-stage sets and women in high heels could trot across it without so much as a click going to the mikes. Kinda spooky, actually. Makes the perfect flooring for a bus conversion and will also greatly reduce over-the-road noise as well.

Of course you'll also need to isolate as much engine noise at the source as possible, but there are heat resistant, foam products that use the same technology. Just Mylar covered foam with a barium-loaded sheet in the middle, Can be cut with a box cutter to fit and conform to the inside of a dog-house or any other engine compartment. Another trick that really helps hold down the noise in front engine units is to install carpeting to the roof in the front portion of the bus. Especially over the dog-house area. Blue Bird often fitted or retro-fitted (as an expensive option) a perforated, stainless sheet right over the engine to trap and isolate engine noise. Cheap (but tasteful) carpet samples glued to the roof works even better. Just try to find something other than that old orange and brown shag from the late '60's if you can.

Happy building.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the tips Tango! The little cummins in my bus isn't real loud but I will consider trying some the things you mentioned. It does have the perforations in the ceiling. I will be adding at least 2" of insulation to the floor, not sure yet how much I'll put on the sides and roof yet.

Arbor