Old 10-08-2007, 07:37 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Re: 1990 International-14" Roof Lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Did you find any of those "special" welds that took so many of those Carpenters out of use as you were exploring those roof panels?
I didn't find any cracked welds up along the rail. The bus had been previously inspected by the School District and they hadn't found any cracked welds either. If there had been cracks it would have been a fairly easy repair.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #22
Bus Nut

This morning is the first day of decent weather we have had here in two-weeks and I am busy working on one of my son's trucks! I still hope to have a few more of the sheet metal joints buttoned up and the Bus ready for winter storage by Halloween.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #23
Bus Geek

you sure made that look easy!

congrats on the project, she looks like she's going really well.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

I want royalties. A penny for every mile you drive that thing.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:38 PM   #25
Bus Nut

I just updated my Bus page with more photos, a material list and some work notes on installing the new skin. I hope some of you folks find it of interest.

New Skin
Old 03-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Hello gang! Just waiting for the snow to melt here..then back to work!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #27
Skoolie

Welcome back and thanks. It was your posting of your roof raise that I first saw and prompted me to think, "I can do that!" 18" later we are off and running. Can't wait for you to get back at it and see some more cool stuff.
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #28
Bus Nut

We started back to work on our bus a couple of weeks ago, buttoning up the exterior sheet metal that I did not get finished before the snow came last year. I am very pleased with the way it is progressing. To attach the new exterior skin (20 ga. sheet metal) I reused the sheet metal screws I had removed from the inside of the bus. These being about 5/8" in length and 5/32" in diameter with a 'star' head. I purchased about 15- 5/32" drill bits and went to work drilling hundreds of holes. Where the screws went through the sheet metal into a body strut or rib, (either a factory rib or a piece of angle iron or tubing that I have added) they held just fine. Where the screws went through only a couple pieces of sheet metal, either the existing sheet metal or an overlap of two sheets that I installed there was a bit of a problem with the sheet metal screws not wanting to tighten up. Some would snug, others would just spin. This was unacceptable.

After trying various sheet metal fasteners (screws and rivets) I came back to using the same screws I had removed from the inside of the bus. However this time I had my wife on the inside of the bus with a box of locking nuts and a 10 millimeter open end wrench. Instead of hassling with a standard lock washer and nut I used nuts with a nylon insert. I had used these nuts for years while rebuilding and servicing railroad cars and I have found them to hold exceptionally well while standing up to the constant vibration from traveling. I purchased the locking nuts at Ace hardware. Purchasing a few hundred (I needed 300) of these nuts is cost prohibitive if you buy them separately. If you look in the back of the bolt bins at ACE (pull the drawer out farther) you will find them by the box (100 each). These are priced very reasonably, I paid $5.99 per box of 100 rather then the .13 cents each that they had them individually priced at.

Turning the original sheet metal screws into bolts with locking nuts on them has made an extremely large impact on the installation of the new skin! Not only have I added a locking nut to each new sheet metal screw, I went back and removed & replaced each sheet metal screw that was not run through the sheet metal and a body strut, tubing or piece of angle iron. Almost all of the screws are easily accessible and this procedure has only added a day's work to each side of the bus. The payoff in strength and quality has been tremendous!
Old 05-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #29
Bus Nut

On a side note: This winter I also replaced my aging computer system. My new system uses Windows vista 64 bit as an operating system which has caused me a few issues with some of my favorite software. For instance Photoshop doesn't like the new 64-bit environment which leaves me lacking a critical tool for documenting (updating) the bus's build notes. When i find a work-around for this I will update the photos and notes on the build.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:33 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Yes, yes... NyLock nuts are the cat's whiskers! I pretty much use nothing else on any bolt, if I can help it. I buy them by the POUND at an industrial supply/surplus store. Now, using them on sheet metal screws is a new twist to me -- good on ya'!
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote