Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #1

Year: 1990
Chassis: P30
Engine: Chevy 350- GAS
1990 Thomas Mighty-Mite (P30)

Hi There! We just bought our 1990 Thomas Mighty-Mite (P-30, Chevy 350, Gas) and we're so excited to get going on the conversion! We will be using the bus as both a Uhaul and a home (temporarily) when we get where we are going. I'm a baby-beginner at this so try to be patient with my remedial questions .

Some early questions we have encountered are:

1) Does anyone have any experience with registering a school bus as an RV in Nevada? I'm having trouble finding specific requirements.

2) Does anyone use an extension (20 amp) for their main power source? Do you feel a full integrated electrical system is vital?

3) Having some trouble finding the fuse box (total Rookie, I know)

SKooliWAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:15 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Every state has challenges when it comes to changing the title from bus to RV. In order to make the change you will need to remove seats so that the bus can no longer seat more than 14-passengers and you will most likely have to show that it is now an RV. That usually means you have to have a stove, a bed, and a sink.

I am not sure exactly to what you are referring to when you say extension for power. Your power load will be determined by how many 110-vac power users you will have. A/C is usually the biggest power hog and 20 amps will be needed to get them started. It would probably be better to start out with a 30-amp RV power cord to plug in. If you don't have a 30-amp plug in you can get a plug convertor that will allow you to plug into a standard household plug in.

When it comes to electric power, over building your system is much better than building something just big enough.

Your bus will have two different electrical panels--one for the chassis and one for the body.

The chassis fuse box is most likely under the hood outside.

The body will most likely not use fuses but circuit breakers. They should all be located behind the switch panel.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:31 AM   #3

Year: 1990
Chassis: P30
Engine: Chevy 350- GAS
Thank you for your help!
SKooliWAG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, mighty mite, nevada, thomas